The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
Gaddy

Need Some Lowering Advice Please!

Hi y'all! This is my first post so hopefully it's in the right section!

I tried to do as much research as possible but I still have some questions. I am wanting to do a 3 inch drop in the front, and a 5 inch drop in the back on my 67 stepper. I have heard lots of good things about the ECE kits but frankly I don't have the 500 bucks for that. So I was wondering if y'all knew any cheaper ways to do this drop? Can I just use 3 and 5 inch drop springs and leave it at that? Or do I need to do other things like relocate shocks? Oh and I have disk brakes on the front wheels. Thanks! Ryan
Posted via Mobile Device
Gaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: Need Some Lowering Advice Please!

3 in is a lot to go with just springs,the geometry changes enough to make alignment iffy at best.Better choice is drop spindles and then a 1-2 inch spring.Keep in mind that you will probably not get 3 in this way since the original springs have 40 years worth of sag to them.Some say 5 is doable in the rear with just springs.I went 4 and get an occassional bumpstop jolt,however iI do need to do the shock relo.You will need to trim bumpstops.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
68Stepbed

Re: Need Some Lowering Advice Please!

Let me be the first to say: Spend on quality!!! Don't cheap out. You WILL regret it. Also, ECE is the only company I recommend for lowering components. Their products are high quality, and their customer service is absolutely top-notch.

ECE makes and sells parts for only 60-72 pickups, so the parts they make are designed only for our trucks because that's their specialty. The shock relocators and Super Track Bar are a must have for anything lower than 5" rear drop, so they're worth the extra cost.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote