The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2022, 11:07 PM   #1
Crusty69

Tremec tkx question

I don't know if anybody can answer this question, but can the tkx be bolted to my factory bellhousing in a 69 c10 with a 3 speed? I'd obviously swap out the clutch with an appropriate upgrade, but if I don't need a new bellhousing and hydraulic clutch setup, I'd be pretty happy to save a few bucks and hours of work.
Crusty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 01:29 AM   #2
Overdriven

Re: Tremec tkx question

Yes, but there might be a small issue. The trans is located in the bellhousing not by the bolts but the large hole for the input shaft and accompanying register on the trans. Truck 4 speeds have a larger register than passenger car 4 speeds and it might be the same for 3 speeds. There are spacer rings available to solve this if this is the case.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:40 AM   #3
Crusty69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
Yes, but there might be a small issue. The trans is located in the bellhousing not by the bolts but the large hole for the input shaft and accompanying register on the trans. Truck 4 speeds have a larger register than passenger car 4 speeds and it might be the same for 3 speeds. There are spacer rings available to solve this if this is the case.
Interesting. I guess I have to figure this out. I'm new to this whole platform still.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:30 PM   #4
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Overdriven, layed it down right on the center hole on the bell Just to add a bit,the 67 & earlier bells on the trucks were 4.687 on the hole....same as the car bells. 68 -up went 5.125 on the center hole.Yes, you can get a ring to center the trans in your 69 truck bell....no issues & That car trans will pilot properly on the truck bell (68 -up truck bell). If you know somebody close to you, that has that 67-back bell, that will get you....I have 2 of them, & would Give you 1 if you were close to my addy Understand, on that truck bell, that you will need to bolt& nut the bottom 2 holes on the trans. There no threads in the bell on the lower holes....the bolts thread into the trans, from the inside of the bell. Best of fun, crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 02:39 PM   #5
Crusty69

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy longhorn View Post
Overdriven, layed it down right on the center hole on the bell Just to add a bit,the 67 & earlier bells on the trucks were 4.687 on the hole....same as the car bells. 68 -up went 5.125 on the center hole.Yes, you can get a ring to center the trans in your 69 truck bell....no issues & That car trans will pilot properly on the truck bell (68 -up truck bell). If you know somebody close to you, that has that 67-back bell, that will get you....I have 2 of them, & would Give you 1 if you were close to my addy Understand, on that truck bell, that you will need to bolt& nut the bottom 2 holes on the trans. There no threads in the bell on the lower holes....the bolts thread into the trans, from the inside of the bell. Best of fun, crazyL
This is promising. Sounds like it's not going to be a terrible job to try to make it work. Seems like a trans that can hold up to any future engine swaps. Just gotta save up to make it happen.
Old 12-06-2022, 04:51 PM   #6
typerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
I know this is a couple weeks old but when I put a T-5 in my 70 C10 I keep the original bellhousing by using an adapter ring from advanced adapters. I think I bought it from Summit.
typerr is offline   Reply With Quote