The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2023, 08:10 PM   #26
D.B

Re: Made my first pass down the strip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litebulblsc View Post
Made it to the track today.

I knew I was going to run into traction issues now that I am making a little power.

First pass I blew the tires off. Nothing there. I did not bring a pressure guage and I had no idea where they were at. Borrowed a guage from a fellow tester and holey moley, they were at 37 psi. I dropped them down to 20 psi and got back in the lanes.

Second pass, I noticed in the burnout box the pressure drop was going to help. Leaves good, throw the shifter into second but it does not shift. I bump the shifter again just as it shifts into second and it goes into 3rd. I messed with the settings a bit in the Holley, but I am going to have to learn how to tune the transmission control. Got back in the lanes.

3rd pass. It left alright, shifted 2nd still a little late but not horrible. This time it did not want to shift 3rd and I ended up in 4th so I lifted and rolled to a 11.501 at 101 mph. This is now my pb. Messed with the setting in the Holley again to try and get the shifts doing better. Got back in the lanes.

4th pass, I can't even fully remember what happened. I think it spun a few feet out, so I short shifted to second and then loss power. I thought the engine died, but it was still running. I get to the side still rolling- don't see anthing leaking on the track so through it back in first. It would only go 12 mph. Make it to the end of the track and stop in the return lane. I saw my alternator was not charging and thought maybe I lost both belts and that was all the air the engine could pull through the supercharger.

Popped the hood and only the alternator belt was missing. Did not see any other issues. Fire it up and it seems normal again. Decided to drive it home without the alternator. This is where I screwed up. Made it out of the track and started down the road. And bam. My new hood was inside the truck with me. In the fluster of deciding to drive it home as is, I did not check that my hood latched. So I ended up driving it home with a super busted windsheild and no alternator belt. Made it home, about a 1/2 hour away, at 11.6 volts.
Now that sucks. Not only are you having to fix the alternator, but you have to fix the windshield. Sorry to hear this after getting to make a few passes down the track.
D.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 08:43 PM   #27
litebulblsc

Cracked my new plastic hood and bent the hood hinges. I am in Michigan, and drag racing season is about over for us
litebulblsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 06:24 AM   #28
biketopia

That's a total bummer.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 07:28 PM   #29
litebulblsc

Made it to the track yesterday. I'm not sure if it was just the weather, but the traction was not there. After pulling some pressure out of the tires, and some timing out of the motor, I was able to leave softly and run an 11.63 at 117. The online schedule shows that was the last Wendesday test and tune of the year, and the guy at tech was unsure if it is or not.

I am thinking a good upgrade for next year is some Caltracs. I am just not sure if they will help enough or if I should ladder bar it or 4 link it?

Here is the best time slip from last week and this week. I know the reaction times are embarrassing. I waste the good reactions on crappy passes
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2023, 06:31 AM   #30
biketopia

Cal tracks would be a good upgrade. Ladder bars would not be hard at all to build your own set if you have the ability. Helped a buddy put a set on his truck, pretty simple design and they worked wonders on axle wrap and wheel hop. If you can tame your rear end and get your 60ft time down you'll have something.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 05:07 PM   #31
litebulblsc

My best 60ft was 1.62, which I feel is good. I just want to get to were it can do that more consistently.

I have some work to do before the season opens up next year( and about 6 months to do it).

Still looking for a 2wd short bed standard cab of this generation to build a real drag truck out of.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2023, 09:09 PM   #32
cadillac_al

Well that's some bad luck. I forget that there is a racing section here. I like drag race threads. I don't understand your numbers though. I have never seen a time slip/drag strip set up like that. I'm sure it's still fun just the same. I love the Chevy orange engine. I'll bet it will keep getting faster as you get it dialed in.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 10:43 AM   #33
litebulblsc

Yep, next year.

Got the all terrains put back on it for now.