The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2020, 07:01 AM   #1
me71c10

Disc brake conversion

Hi there hoping for some advise. Im doing a power disc brake conversion on my 68 C10. I have a few questions that i cant find answers for by doing a search and my instructions are vague.

1) How do you remove and then put back the brake pedal clevis pin? I was able to pry old one out but have had no luck installing new one. The steering column seems to not allow bolt to slide in. Any secrets? Its stumping me.

2) My pedal assy only has one hole for the manual set up. Do i use that hole?

3) I adjusted my rod length to that of the removed manual push rod. Is this correct?

Thanks. Trying to move forward while we are all self distancing and this has stopped me from proceeding.

Have a nice Sunday
me71c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:54 AM   #2
Willys_MB

Re: Disc brake conversion

I’m doing this right now, too. I bought a new booster setup from Frank on the board here, PICKMUP is his name.

1) the clevis is threaded. There’s a cotter pin, then you need two wrenches to undo the bolt. Then you spin the clevis off and back on. Mine was a little crusty, so I hit it with a wire brush and some oil so I could thread it on without using a wrench. As far as the steering column goes, his instructions said to either drop the column 2” and or leave the booster as far off the firewall as possible while doing this. This wasn’ta problem for me because my column is currently removed, but I can say not having the column in there made this a piece of cake.

2) Frank’s instructions said to use the same hole, but there is also a post on the board here that describes the distance for the pedal from the firewall to the pedal abs it should be different than before. I’m not sure if that applies to a C10 because I’m doing a 3/4 ton.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=801705

3) Frank’s instructions said to thread it in a minimum of 3/4”, so that’s what I did. Maybe a hair more than 3/4”, but about there.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:00 PM   #3
me71c10

Smile Re: Disc brake conversion

Thanks for the response. Dropping the column saved me a lot of aggravation.
me71c10 is offline   Reply With Quote