The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2021, 06:39 PM   #1
SCOTI

Shortening & Modifying a Tilt Column Question/Concern

So I've cut down a 67-72 era tilt/auto column-shift column to use in my 64 project. I progressively trimmed the outer housing/tube as well as the column shift-tube & the actual steering shaft to the length needed for my modified set-up.

With all of that done/started, the mocked-up column is a finger-tips width away from the dash for increased interior room as well as closer to the firewall for better u-joint angles to the R&P steering unit (Porterbuilt Dropmember set-up).

I'm happy w/how everything is looking. The u-joints + steering shafts are temporarily in place to verify the joint angles & shaft clearance within the engine compartment. I'm ready to pull it all back out & finish welding the housing & shifter tube as well as machine the end of the steering column shaft for a DD joint. This is where I have the question....

There does not appear to be a 'center' reference mark on the steering-wheel end of this shaft (where the splines are for the steering wheel) like on later model columns. Since the steering wheel end of the shaft is splined, the R&P output shaft is splined, & one of the two joints used is splined, does it make a difference where I need to machine the flats for the double-d side of the 2nd joint where it will seat on the column shaft? In my head the splined ends allow for a fair amount of adjustment but I'm not certain it would be enough that 'where' the flats for the shaft are machined are irrelevant.

I thought I would post up & see if other hot-rodders might chime in w/their thoughts & experiences.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:39 AM   #2
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Re: Shortening & Modifying a Tilt Column Question/Concern

Scoti, I did this exact thing on a non-tilt for my dm build. The flats in my case were irrelevant. When using the car style (comfort grip) steering wheel, the only alignment I was concerned with was for turn signal cancellation (and obviously steering wheel visual centering), which is all dictated by the steering wheel mounting hub. In my experience, once you have your R&P centered, and the shafts/column connected, the steering wheel hub slips (presses) on at whatever angle you need it and the splines are fine enough to set it in the right place for both wheel center/signal cancel alignment.

Hope this makes sense, questions lemme know.

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:23 PM   #3
SCOTI

Well.... I was hoping for additional input but Gringo seems to be the only response.

I pulled the column back out yesterday to finish the sectioning/shortening job. Once the shaft was removed, my question was answered. The shaft set-up had 'flats' machined into it originally which I missed during initial disassembly. I'll just use those for determining the orientation of the flats req'd for the new u-joint @ the end.

This leads me to an issue that occurred after I pulled the column out & apart. While inspecting the condition of the pivot pieces for the tilt, one of the bearing balls (in the yellow circle) fell out from where the two sections rotate (red arows). I'm not sure how much of a can 'o worms it is to try & pop it back in or if it's even worth it.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 03-04-2021, 04:28 PM   #4
70shortfleet

There is 2 sets of bearings in the upper section of the tilt column. the loose ball bearing is probably from the lower bearing, look to see if you can find the one that is missing and put it back in. No ball bearings in the pivot section.
70shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:01 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70shortfleet View Post
There is 2 sets of bearings in the upper section of the tilt column. the loose ball bearing is probably from the lower bearing, look to see if you can find the one that is missing and put it back in. No ball bearings in the pivot section.
I was actually going to reach out to you before moving forward so the feedback is appreciated. You'll be getting a PM .

Good to know concerning the pivot section & thanks for that info. I couldn't see where there were any bearings but the grease/coating is fairly dark so I couldn't tell for sure & stopped for the night @ that point.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG