The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2021, 05:07 PM   #2501
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Really nice job on the truck!!!
Much appreciated! It’s finally close to the vision

Here’s a rolling shot of smbrouss70 and darkhorse970 on the Natchez Trace doing what she was built for:
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 09:52 PM   #2502
darkhorse970

I always thought is was a cool truck, now that I’ve ridden in it this past weekend, I KNOW it AWESOME!! I Love It!

SOLD - 1963 C10 Short Fleet
350/700R4
4/6 drop

1967 GMC Super Custom - Short Fleet
COPO concept w/427 BBC
T-400 w/Doug Nash overdrive
4/6 Drop, Buddy Buckets, etc...
Frame Off (In Progress)
I call it "Vulgar Display of Power"

1980 Silverado
Original paint
49k Original miles
4/6 drop

Check out my build thread here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6209941
darkhorse970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:21 AM   #2503
smbrouss70

Ok, after putting 1,523.7 miles on this truck in the last 6 days, I have a few things that I want to get off of my chest, so here goes...

1. I used to think that Porterbuilt suspension was only for trucks that wanted to “lay frame.” I have been proven wrong. This suspension is amazing! Uneven lanes, patches in half of your lane, rough railroad crossings… All things that will unsettle the suspension in a new car even, don’t seem to faze this suspension. It is firm, yet compliant and completely predictable in every situation that was thrown at it. I can’t speak of the true “sport” performance of it, since it isn’t my truck, I didn’t want to push it too hard in curves. But I can tell you that it feels like it would be very agile on twisty mountain roads or even an autocross course. Are there other suspension companies that build stuff that can outperform it in corners? I’m sure, but they probably wouldn’t give as good of an “all around” feel, and would probably be much harsher on an interstate run. If I had to complain about one thing, it would have to be the decreased turn radius, but otherwise my hat is off to you, Nathan Porter! BTW, I’m pretty sure I sold at least 10 more setups just like Gringo’s at the show this weekend, so get your welder out.

2. I was once again proven wrong in thinking that 4.11 rear gears had no place in a vehicle that was destined to take extended road trips at higher speeds. I always thought gear sets numerically higher than 3.73’s were only for Street/Strip cars or dedicated drag cars. I know the 0.64:1 overdrive in the TKO transmission helped a lot, but 2,200 RPM @ 70 MPH is pretty damn good for a vehicle that feels this peppy off the line.

3. This one isn’t just from this weekend, but I used to believe that if you didn’t have a natural patina on your vehicle you shouldn’t fake it because everybody can tell. I think Gringo has perfected the faux-tina process. I can’t tell you how many car guys have asked me if this was original paint, hell it even fooled my wife when it first showed up at my house even though she is used to looking at my original paint Blazer. Gringo, you did a great job of resisting the urge to go too far like most people do.

4. LS engines are boring. You start it up, temp goes to 193 and stays there all day, oil pressure goes to 40 and stays there all day, you never have to ask “What is that noise?” or wonder if you have leaked too much oil. Where is the fun in that? There are new problems though, like why is it not returning to idle when I let off the gas, yet a blip of the throttle brings it back down to 700 RPM like it is supposed to do. I’ll look into that, but I figure it’ll be simple to fix.

5. Gringo is too good at building trucks. He should probably stop while he is ahead. Everything is solid feeling, and operates smoothly. Sometimes too smoothly, like the passenger window regulator. You hit a bump and the window rolls down, not slack in the regulator and it just falls down a little, it actually unwinds the handle. When you are traveling by yourself and can’t reach over to roll it back up to keep the cold air in or the rain out, you have to improvise with what you have on hand. Yep, that is rubber bands keeping the window crank from rolling down.

6. For those of you that wondered how the truck sounds with a x-pipe installed the wrong way and the Borla Pro XS mufflers. A buddy captured a video of the truck driving off after I picked up some parts from him. It’s quiet at idle and comes alive when you get into it, just like I think an exhaust should be. Gringo's truck - YouTube

As a side note, I enjoy taking these trips and seeing the enthusiasm of the younger generation when they see a B!tchin’ truck or Hot Rod. While eating breakfast at a Waffle House yesterday, a woman and her 10 or 11 year old son came up to us to ask if her son could pose NEAR the trucks for a picture. We told her that she was more than welcome to. As I watched them go near the trucks in the parking lot and the boy stood there waiting for his mom to get the phone out with little to no expression on his face, I wondered if the boy even wanted to do that. When his mom had the camera ready, it all changed, he gave 2 thumbs up and his smile looked like it extended off of the side of his face it was so big. That picture may be one that he cherishes until the time that he can blow all of his money on a cool truck or car while disregarding his other financial obligations, and it brings a happy tear to my eye because I like to think that Gringo, Kevin, and I had a small part to play in that!
Attached Images

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:35 AM   #2504
darkhorse970

As the passenger for most of the miles that Steven drove this past weekend, I have to say that I wholeheartedly agree on All Points. This trucks performance and comfort are amazing, and have caused me to rethink some key aspects of my ‘67 project. To say that I’m impressed with Gringos truck would be a huge understatement!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-13-2021, 09:22 PM   #2505
cornerstone

Where's the sign up sheet please? I'd like to reserve the truck for next weekend. I'll wash it and return it full of gas I promise.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:25 PM   #2506
TA_C10

Very cool to hear your perspectives on this truck, especially as someone who doesn't own the truck it's easier for you to give honest opinions and your perspectives. I mean gringo must be super humble cuz I've never heard him gloat on his accomplishments like this... LOL, but seriously, I think anyone who has checked out this thread has wanted to see this truck in person, drive it, meet the builder, whatever, and probably assumed it would be this good. Thanks for confirming, living the C10 dream

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:57 AM   #2507
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse970 View Post
I always thought is was a cool truck, now that I’ve ridden in it this past weekend, I KNOW it AWESOME!! I Love It!
Thanks Keith, glad you guys enjoyed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrouss70 View Post
Ok, after putting 1,523.7 miles on this truck in the last 6 days, I have a few things that I want to get off of my chest, so here goes...

1…
Thanks for the review, sounds like it’s close to performing as intended. Sent you messages on ideas to remedy a couple of those niggles.
Quote:
As the passenger for most of the miles that Steven drove this past weekend, I have to say that I wholeheartedly agree on All Points. This trucks performance and comfort are amazing, and have caused me to rethink some key aspects of my ‘67 project. To say that I’m impressed with Gringos truck would be a huge understatement!
Posted via Mobile Device
Woot! Glad to help you spend some more money
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Where's the sign up sheet please? I'd like to reserve the truck for next weekend. I'll wash it and return it full of gas I promise.
She likes hand washes and premium fuel
Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_C10 View Post
Very cool to hear your perspectives on this truck, especially as someone who doesn't own the truck it's easier for you to give honest opinions and your perspectives. I mean gringo must be super humble cuz I've never heard him gloat on his accomplishments like this... LOL, but seriously, I think anyone who has checked out this thread has wanted to see this truck in person, drive it, meet the builder, whatever, and probably assumed it would be this good. Thanks for confirming, living the C10 dream
All the time effort and money dumped into this thing is finally paying off. Super appreciative of the LCTC crew for taking it across the finish line.

…and I am in love with how this engine bay turned out:
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
Old 07-14-2021, 09:12 AM   #2508
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
Thanks Keith, glad you guys enjoyed!

Thanks for the review, sounds like it’s close to performing as intended. Sent you messages on ideas to remedy a couple of those niggles.

Woot! Glad to help you spend some more money

She likes hand washes and premium fuel

All the time effort and money dumped into this thing is finally paying off. Super appreciative of the LCTC crew for taking it across the finish line.

and I am in love with how this engine bay turned out:
Looks like a clean stock engine compartment w/an old small block.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:12 PM   #2509
C10_ustacould
A day late and $1 short...

Thanks to Keith allowing me to take his spot in the truck for a couple of rides over the weekend I got to experience how a real quality build performs. To quote Ferris Bueller, "It is it so choice, if you have the means I highly suggest picking one up!" Great job Chris!!

Instagram: C10_ustacould

1963 SWB Fleet Side 528 Desert Beige
Milly

1967 SWB Step Side 506 Medium Blue
The Old Girl

1968 SWB Fleet Side 503 Light Green
Ellie SOLD

1965 SWB Fleet Side 507 Light Blue
Prescription Strength SOLD

1971 SWB Fleet Side 521 White
Shiro SOLD

1968 SWB Step Side 503 Light Green
My Old Farm Truck SOLD
C10_ustacould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:52 AM   #2510
regan wilson

It sounds like you had fun. The truck is awesome for sure. I watched the video and I have to say you are correct. It sounds very good!
Old 07-26-2021, 11:23 AM   #2511
mcbassin
Still Learning

The truck looks GREAT Chris, I thought for a minute you had sold it... I was going to ask how you like the coil over setup now since you have driven it for a while. I'm considering it for my truck.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:59 AM   #2512
darkhorse970

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
The truck looks GREAT Chris, I thought for a minute you had sold it... I was going to ask how you like the coil over setup now since you have driven it for a while. I'm considering it for my truck.
As a passenger in Chris’s truck for a few days, I can tell you that I’m considering delaying the paint job on my ‘67 project to swap to this exact suspension setup. It rides and handles exceptionally well!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-26-2021, 12:23 PM   #2513
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
As a passenger in Chris’s truck for a few days, I can tell you that I’m considering delaying the paint job on my ‘67 project to swap to this exact suspension setup. It rides and handles exceptionally well!
Posted via Mobile Device
Completely random question, how do you post videos on here? My photobucket acct is gone. I havent been here for awhile.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:16 PM   #2514
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Looks like a clean stock engine compartment w/an old small block.
Exactly as planned
Quote:
Originally Posted by C10_ustacould View Post
Thanks to Keith allowing me to take his spot in the truck for a couple of rides over the weekend I got to experience how a real quality build performs. To quote Ferris Bueller, "It is it so choice, if you have the means I highly suggest picking one up!" Great job Chris!!
Blushing here. Great quote (Save Ferris!) and wonderful praise. Have to give credit to PB and LCTC; I just bolted it all together
Quote:
Originally Posted by regan wilson View Post
It sounds like you had fun. The truck is awesome for sure. I watched the video and I have to say you are correct. It sounds very good!
Very happy with the Borlas!
Quote:
Never sell, my wife would kill me

The coilover setup is awesome. I’m super happy with it and the reviews by those who have driven/ridden prove that I’m not completely crazy. If you go as low as I did, be prepared for LOTS of supporting mods. I’ve seen people using the QA1 setup and that are happy with it and wouldn’t need all of the cutting on your pretty truck.
Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Heck yeah, order it up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
Completely random question, how do you post videos on here? My photobucket acct is gone. I havent been here for awhile.
Have to upload to YouTube then link it here.

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 07-27-2021, 03:30 PM   #2515
SCOTI

Quote:
Exactly as planned

Blushing here. Great quote (Save Ferris!) and wonderful praise. Have to give credit to PB and LCTC; I just bolted it all together

Very happy with the Borlas!

The coilover setup is awesome. I’m super happy with it and the reviews by those who have driven/ridden prove that I’m not completely crazy. If you go as low as I did, be prepared for LOTS of supporting mods. I’ve seen people using the QA1 setup and that are happy with it and wouldn’t need all of the cutting on your pretty truck.

Heck yeah, order it up!

Have to upload to YouTube then link it here.
Unfortunately.... The 'nothing here to see' visual is the more expensive route.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 07-27-2021, 06:24 PM   #2516
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:

No way you can compare the LOW ride height and overall stance of your Porterbuilt coilover suspension to QA1.
QA1 may be a nice quality product with a decent ride,… but as long as the stock crossmember is in place, you will always have the lower control arms too close to the ground.
Your truck is perfect!

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:07 PM   #2517
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
No way you can compare the LOW ride height and overall stance of your Porterbuilt coilover suspension to QA1.
QA1 may be a nice quality product with a decent ride,… but as long as the stock crossmember is in place, you will always have the lower control arms too close to the ground.
Your truck is perfect!
Agreed.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-30-2021, 11:05 AM   #2518
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:

Thanks for the update Chris. I don't want mine as low as yours. I really hate hitting these Oklahoma roads in mine already. What is the ballpark investment for just front and rear suspension?
Old 07-30-2021, 01:09 PM   #2519
SCOTI

Quote:
Thanks for the update Chris. I don't want mine as low as yours. I really hate hitting these Oklahoma roads in mine already. What is the ballpark investment for just front and rear suspension?
All I can say is it gets expensive to get that low & still be drivable.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-30-2021, 05:19 PM   #2520
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Unfortunately.... The 'nothing here to see' visual is the more expensive route.
And more difficult, by far. Creating simple is complicated, ya know what I mean!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Your truck is perfect!
Much appreciated. That was a big part of going with the PB stuff; I wanted to be able to drive low and not worry about dragging arms. Now I worry about dragging everything else!
Quote:
I didn’t keep track of total costs on purpose, I honestly don’t want to know… I will say purchasing the front and rear kits was just the start, I think around $4500.

You might be able to get what you want with a mild dropmember up front (to raise the a-arms) and a Ridetech, QA1, or NoLimit rear kit (as low as possible without raising the bed floor). Would save a metric TON of effort by not having to cut into the body, raise the bed floor, move the hood hinges, etc, etc, on and on. It really becomes a can of worms if you want more than a 6/8 drop.

That was my original plan (even purchased the NoLimit rear kit), but I knew I wanted more, so off the deep end I went…

EDIT: see my post below, would be a killer setup
Quote:
All I can say is it gets expensive to get that low & still be drivable.
Yeppers, (and complicated, I’m sensing a theme here) but what’s the point if you can’t drive ‘em? Looking at it only makes me partially happy

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Last edited by gringoloco; 07-30-2021 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:40 PM   #2521
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Check out these two packages:

https://pbfab.com/1963-72-chevy-pick...lovers-level-1

https://pbfab.com/1963-72-chevy-pick...l-1-coilovers1

Gets you all of the same handling/ride quality as my setup, but with a 7-9” ride height (2” of coilover adjustability, as measured at the bottom of the framerails under the cab) and no cutting of bed floor or front inner fenders.
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Last edited by gringoloco; 07-30-2021 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:20 AM   #2522
smbrouss70

Quote:
Mike, don't let the roads sway your decision on how low you want to go. This suspension will handle anything you can throw at it. Going to and from TN a couple of weeks ago, the 2 trucks that ran with me had to slow down for RR X-ings and such. But Gringo's truck was driven like I was driving my 3/4 Ton Duramax, I didn't reduce my speed for any of those things and it handles it better than a new car/truck. The other 2 trucks are running a 4/6 drop and a 5/8 drop. The only thing that makes this level of lowness cause any problems is traversing into and out of steep driveways, and getting the back wheels off. I honestly think if the road is suitable for a Corvette or similar performance car, this suspension will handle it with ease.

Now, if your budget dictates that you don't want to go that low, I completely understand. There are a LOT of supporting mods for this look that cost a lot of both time and money.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

Shop Build
Old 08-01-2021, 08:51 AM   #2523
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrouss70 View Post
…and getting the back wheels off...
Would minimal backspacing help with this?

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 08-01-2021, 10:17 AM   #2524
smbrouss70

DEFINITELY! Should I start cutting?

R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

Shop Build
Old 08-02-2021, 04:22 PM   #2525
mcbassin
Still Learning

Thanks Chris and Steven. I am definitely sold on the Porterbuilt stuff. I will be investing in the full suspension upgrade. Just need to scrape up the $$.