The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-27-2021, 08:16 PM   #1
Norcal_Mike

64 Engine cranks, No Key On Power at Coil

I give up. I've probably read every thread here on no power, no spark, wont start, and the list goes on. I just cannot figure it out.

So, I have a 64 with a 230, points distributor. The truck has been sitting, and I am trying to get it running. This is what I've done:

Tore out all Original under dash harness and front light harness.

1. Replaced OEM under dash harness by American Autowire
2. Replaced OEM headlight harness by AA
3. Replaced condenser and set points gap.
4. Wired the ballast resistor to coil +, and the other side to ignition unfused at the fuse block
5. Connected engine harness, purple wire to S on starter, pink/white wire to R on starter.

Before I pulled out the OG harness, it was spliced like crazy, BUT with key on, there was power to the gauges, cranked but had no spark.

After I did the above from 1-5, I cannot get Key On power to the + side of the coil. I used a test light, connecting to negative side of battery and testing positive side of coil. With key on, there is no power at coil.

I tested at the fuse block with Key On, no power. The only circuit I could find power with Key ON, is the orange wire that connects to the brake switch on the column.

The engine will crank when turning the key, and I do get power at the positive side of coil. However, the test light is continuous, and there is no spark.

So first off- what could be wrong with no power key on?

I have not tested the coil, ordered a new one to be delivered tomorrow. I don't think its a coil issue as I was able to get power key on at the gauges before tearing out all of the old harnesses.

Not sure where to go from here.
Norcal_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote