The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2022, 03:41 PM   #1
PDW HOTRODS

IFS stock height spindle or 2 inch drop.

Does anyone have pics of 55-59 trucks with stock height spindle compared to 2 inch drop spindles? Some of the IFS kits offer the option but don't have picks to compare. I like it lower than stock but don't want to drag on speed bumps. Thanks.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:52 PM   #2
bosco

Re: IFS stock height spindle or 2 inch drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDW HOTRODS View Post
Does anyone have pics of 55-59 trucks with stock height spindle compared to 2 inch drop spindles? Some of the IFS kits offer the option but don't have picks to compare. I like it lower than stock but don't want to drag on speed bumps. Thanks.
I started out with a stock height spindles with my IFS, then changed to the 2" drop spindles. Really like the stance. Also when I dropped the front I also dropped the rear 2".
Attached Images

bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 11:31 PM   #3
PDW HOTRODS

Is the top pic M2 ifs with stock height spindles? I thought it would look more like the bottom pic.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:23 AM   #4
_Ogre

Look at my build thread, TRUK has a fatman mustII with stock spindles.
I dare say that TRUK would probably bottom out with 2" drop spindles
I'm traveling and don't have access to any pictures

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 03:26 PM   #5
bosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDW HOTRODS View Post
Is the top pic M2 ifs with stock height spindles? I thought it would look more like the bottom pic.
Correct. Top pic is M2 IFS stock height spindles. I replaced spindles with the 2" drop version. Even though the wheels changed they are the same diameter overall.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:15 PM   #6
mr48chev

True it takes some work to swap spindles after the truck is all together and driving but I'd do just as Bosco did, put it together with the stock spindles, drive it and decide if I wanted it lower. On all clean parts you are looking at between a half hour and an hour on each side to swap them.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:08 PM   #7
bosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
True it takes some work to swap spindles after the truck is all together and driving but I'd do just as Bosco did, put it together with the stock spindles, drive it and decide if I wanted it lower. On all clean parts you are looking at between a half hour and an hour on each side to swap them.
Spot on it took me an hour per side, but worth the new ride height.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:20 PM   #8
PDW HOTRODS

I used M2 on the red 1950 and stock height spindles and I liked how it sat. no space over the front tire. I was thinking of getting a 1957 Shot bed truck and trying to make a plan before I even looked at it. I went and looked at it Saturday and got it. It came with a Camaro subframe so I might use it. I have done quit a few subframes on trucks so I know how it would sit. Just haven't done M2 on a 55-59. I like the subframes and attaching to the frame is easy, but it's always a pain up front for the core support and bumper.Name:  IMG_1126.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  66.3 KB
Old 01-31-2022, 04:43 PM   #9
bosco

I have not dealt with a sub frame install before, but the M2 went right in easy. Looks like you should go with the Drop spindles based on the ride height on your red truck. You can get M2 IFS with adjustable coil overs and lower exactly where you want the height. Either direction look forward to following your project.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:26 PM   #10
57tailgater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
I started out with a stock height spindles with my IFS, then changed to the 2" drop spindles. Really like the stance. Also when I dropped the front I also dropped the rear 2".
Bosco - what size and diameter tires do you have on the front? I am thinking a 2" drop is about what I would like as well but with a straight axle. Thx.
57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 01:17 PM   #11
bosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57tailgater View Post
Bosco - what size and diameter tires do you have on the front? I am thinking a 2" drop is about what I would like as well but with a straight axle. Thx.
I am running 235/55 17 with diameter of 27.2"
Old 02-03-2022, 12:09 PM   #12
Missyblue

So I did fulltilt coilspring kit with stock spindles. And mine sits way lower than the previous. It's still in pieces but I'll attach some photos for ideas. I pulled 2 rear leafs and did 2 I ch drop shackles in the rear and I'm hoping ill only have minor rake. And my body can barely squeeze under the truck and I'm only 140 lbs. My front crossmember is only 7.5 inches off the ground currently
I'm hoping to get fenders on soon and can get you better photos. But you can see my front tire is seated into the fender not having the top visible like the other truck. Not sure why they would be so different. Photos of my mustang ii just in case it shows differences.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rickysnickers; 02-04-2022 at 11:24 AM.
Missyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:25 PM   #13
57tailgater

Here ya go:
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2022, 07:57 PM   #14
Missyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57tailgater View Post
Here ya go:
Thank you. Do you know how I can fix it? Not sure why they flip on me sometimes?
Missyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 10:29 PM   #15
57tailgater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
I am running 235/55 17 with diameter of 27.2"
Thx!!
Old 02-03-2022, 10:36 PM   #16
57tailgater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyblue View Post
Thank you. Do you know how I can fix it? Not sure why they flip on me sometimes?
Are you using your phone? If so is an iPhone? Look here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=818026
After you take your pic, open it up on your phone and see how it’s oriented. You should be able to edit and rotate it on your phone.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:12 AM   #17
dsraven

I suggest to anyone doing an IFS install to first read up on IFS steering geometry so you get the thing right. when at ride height pay attention to the angle of the control arms. the lower control arm should be level side to side, now look at the upper control arm. some are already at a pretty steep angle downwards towards the pivot point. now, when the suspension goes up over a bump, the wheel angles inward quite a bit due to the arc that the short upper control arm makes in comparison the longer lower control arm. this allows the tire to miss the fender but also can affect the steering and cause the tires to scrub across the pavement, if you follow what I mean. on the MII I installed I was given the wrong cross member so it didn't fit the frame properly. with no real help from the supplier I got out some of my old mechanics trade books, looked at many online sites and delved into the geometry thing to understand how things should be set up to work and be safe. I fitted and tacked in the cross member, assembled the parts, checked angles and changed some things to be more like what is suggested by steering engineers. on the heidt's online catalogue site there is a tech article that helps "undertsanding IFS" and it is really worth the read. of course there are lots more online articles if you really want to get into it.
my 57, with a TCI cross member and kit, modified slightly so it would fit the frame, with 28" tall tires, sat at about 6 inches off the floor at the front of the rocker and with a rake angle of 2 deg. I think the cross member was pushed up into the frame about three quarters of an inch more than it was supposed to be in order to get it to fit properly.
hope that helps somebody tuned in here
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote