The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2022, 04:00 PM   #676
TKCR

Re: Bench Seats, Having them Reupholstered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy View Post
You do great work Tina! And I appreciate you taking the time to show us how you do it and the good and the bad of the products out there. I was just about ready to order the Silverado interior kit for my build from USA1 and was wondering if you have installed any of their seat covers and what the quality was like? Thank you!
I have. And they are very good quality. I use them in a pinch. I wish they had that interior kit, back when I restored my truck. I would have used that in a heartbeat.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:07 PM   #677
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
I love this thread, wish I had your talent for this work.

Quick question, for the plastic inserts that the seatbelts go through on some seats, how do you affix them? Some kind of glue?

Also do you know why do some seats have those inserts, and some do not?
Only the 81-87 seats have the seatbelt cutouts. The 73-80, the belts came up between the top & bottom.
The bezels have to be installed onto the cover before the cover gets installed on the seat bottom. It has a piece that locks onto the back of the bezels, on the underside of the cover.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2022, 10:50 PM   #678
TKCR

hatzie, this post is for you. You had asked about the Spirit of 76 seat cover on the seatbelt thread, when I did the belts for that Spirit of 76 truck. Well the guy I did the belts for sent me these pics of the seat. He had an Upholstery place replicate the seat cover.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2022, 07:21 PM   #679
hatzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
hatzie, this post is for you. You had asked about the Spirit of 76 seat cover on the seatbelt thread, when I did the belts for that Spirit of 76 truck. Well the guy I did the belts for sent me these pics of the seat. He had an Upholstery place replicate the seat cover.
Little details are what makes the job.
Your upholstery jobs have arrow straight piping along the front edge of the seat foam and the stitching in the back and base upholstery line up.
Your Seat backs are filled out and the butt and back foam isn't lumpy because you know what to wrap the foams in to properly fill the seat cover and take care that the foam is in good shape.
Not to mention the fact that the covers are properly stitched so they fit as they should.
I think he would've been better off to have you do the work.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 07:34 PM   #680
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
Little details are what makes the job.
Your upholstery jobs have arrow straight piping along the front edge of the seat foam and the stitching in the back and base upholstery line up.
Your Seat backs are filled out and the butt and back foam isn't lumpy because you know what to wrap the foams in to properly fill the seat cover and take care that the foam is in good shape.
Not to mention the fact that the covers are properly stitched so they fit as they should.
I think he would've been better off to have you do the work.
I didn’t do this particular cover. But the guy who did, did a fantastic job!
Old 01-18-2022, 01:19 PM   #681
hatzie

Quote:
I didn’t do this particular cover. But the guy who did, did a fantastic job!
It just doesn't seem that the back is filled out all the way across the way your rehabs are. The cover you put on the foam makes up for the fact that the back foam is not as thick in places as it used to be. Especially on the LH end of the seat.
The back cover looks good but it looks a bit loose at the ends and not filled out across the middle like the bottom where they likely installed new foam.
They likely don't have an inventory of decent seat backs to start with so they danced with the one that brung them and patched in upholstery foam to make up for the damage on the LH end.
They did a good job. I can see a difference in the end result.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.

Last edited by hatzie; 01-18-2022 at 01:28 PM.
hatzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 03:59 PM   #682
69Tom

Posting this for your future info/not trying to hijack the thread. After this seat, I'd say buy upholstery from SMS but don't let them make your cover. The back fit quite well, but the bottom dimensions are so off, this is with adding 1" foam on top, and some foam in the front part of the seat. I'm sure someone with your experience could have probably done a better job, but I think you might have even struggled with it. I think as most know, adding that 1" of foam is unwanted height to the seat, especially under the steering wheel (luckily I have a tilt wheel). I should have known I was in trouble when they contacted me after 8 months and said they hadn't started on it yet because they didn't have the pattern for the cover.

Aside from that, it does look nice and the fabric is great. Hope it holds up. Once I get this truck back together and driving and save up some cash, I'll probably take the seat to an upholstery shop, buy a new bottom foam, and have them cut/fit/resew the bottom cover so I don't have to use a bunch of extra foam.

In any event, if you have the $, just have TKCR do your seat. They turn out much nicer.
Attached Images

69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:28 PM   #683
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Tom View Post
Posting this for your future info/not trying to hijack the thread. After this seat, I'd say buy upholstery from SMS but don't let them make your cover. The back fit quite well, but the bottom dimensions are so off, this is with adding 1" foam on top, and some foam in the front part of the seat. I'm sure someone with your experience could have probably done a better job, but I think you might have even struggled with it. I think as most know, adding that 1" of foam is unwanted height to the seat, especially under the steering wheel (luckily I have a tilt wheel). I should have known I was in trouble when they contacted me after 8 months and said they hadn't started on it yet because they didn't have the pattern for the cover.

Aside from that, it does look nice and the fabric is great. Hope it holds up. Once I get this truck back together and driving and save up some cash, I'll probably take the seat to an upholstery shop, buy a new bottom foam, and have them cut/fit/resew the bottom cover so I don't have to use a bunch of extra foam.

In any event, if you have the $, just have TKCR do your seat. They turn out much nicer.
I think it looks nice. To me, I just looks like it needed a lot of handworking. It can get frustrating, to say the least. But I will say this, putting a cover on a non tilt seat can be a bit of a handful. I’ve only done a few. I don’t even get core seats anymore, unless they tilt. No one wants them anyways.
Your seat bottom foam, is it a full foam or a poor mans foam?
Old 02-02-2022, 06:31 PM   #684
69Tom

Quote:
Your seat bottom foam, is it a full foam or a poor mans foam?
Full foam. I have a 74 Cheyenne Super. That's the correct seat cover for the truck. Which sadly, no one reproduces.
Old 02-02-2022, 11:57 PM   #685
HOTFUN

The seat 74 style fabric looks great and actually not far off a factory fit job back in the day. Did you install new storage pockets on the lower front edge door panels or are they the originals? They sure look nice. I was wondering if anyone had used the reproduction door pockets that USA1 Industries sell in all the original colors or tried to dye original ones?
'72 Cheyenne Super K20 project
'73 Sierra swb 4x4 frame off in paint stage
'74 Cheyenne Super swb w/16k actual
'71 & 72 Cheyenne K10 4x4 swb's
'70 426 HEMICUDA conv SHAKER 4 sp Dana 60
'60 Impala conv 327 PG fac ac loaded 3rd owner
'72 GMC K2500 4x4
'59 Apache CST BBW fleetside swb 283
'73 ElCamino SS LS1 T56 true SS bucket tach
'76 ElCamino SS 52k survivor
'87 Grand National 41k True 2nd to last built in 1987.
'86 K30 454 SRW fleetside CA since new
'88 Trans Am GTA 39k bought new
2018 DEMON plum crazy @ 840HP! "Need for speed"
HOTFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:10 PM   #686
69Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTFUN View Post
The seat 74 style fabric looks great and actually not far off a factory fit job back in the day. Did you install new storage pockets on the lower front edge door panels or are they the originals? They sure look nice. I was wondering if anyone had used the reproduction door pockets that USA1 Industries sell in all the original colors or tried to dye original ones?
They are the USA1 Industries pockets. I can't say they're entirely worth the cost based on what they are (I think they were $80 or something like that), but they do serve their purpose and are made of the correct material and color.
Old 02-03-2022, 01:46 PM   #687
HOTFUN

Thanks on the door panel pocket info. Im sending Tina my 73 charcoal seat belts and plan on using the same USA1 Ind charcoal dye that she uses on her builds. I question the actual original look of the USA1 pockets and I think I better try to dye an original set of pockets. Just wish I had a clean charcoal set to start with instead of saddle. lol. Thanks
'72 Cheyenne Super K20 project
'73 Sierra swb 4x4 frame off in paint stage
'74 Cheyenne Super swb w/16k actual
'71 & 72 Cheyenne K10 4x4 swb's
'70 426 HEMICUDA conv SHAKER 4 sp Dana 60
'60 Impala conv 327 PG fac ac loaded 3rd owner
'72 GMC K2500 4x4
'59 Apache CST BBW fleetside swb 283
'73 ElCamino SS LS1 T56 true SS bucket tach
'76 ElCamino SS 52k survivor
'87 Grand National 41k True 2nd to last built in 1987.
'86 K30 454 SRW fleetside CA since new
'88 Trans Am GTA 39k bought new
2018 DEMON plum crazy @ 840HP! "Need for speed"
HOTFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:46 AM   #688
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTFUN View Post
Thanks on the door panel pocket info. Im sending Tina my 73 charcoal seat belts and plan on using the same USA1 Ind charcoal dye that she uses on her builds. I question the actual original look of the USA1 pockets and I think I better try to dye an original set of pockets. Just wish I had a clean charcoal set to start with instead of saddle. lol. Thanks
I think the map pockets look nice.
https://www.usa1industries.com/1973-...anel-bags.html
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2022, 01:37 AM   #689
Soundmound

So having read through this thread from start to end I can see the evolution in quality of the seat covers. Also, it appears with having someone making them for you you might have started going semi custom? The black with hounds tooth inserts being what I saw.
Have you or your supplier started offering "custom" covers? Could you PM me what purchasing a seat from you would start at? Shipping mine to you seems foolish(read crazy expensive) when you have units ready to complete. I still have so many questions lol.
Soundmound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 09:05 AM   #690
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmound View Post
So having read through this thread from start to end I can see the evolution in quality of the seat covers. Also, it appears with having someone making them for you you might have started going semi custom? The black with hounds tooth inserts being what I saw.
Have you or your supplier started offering "custom" covers? Could you PM me what purchasing a seat from you would start at? Shipping mine to you seems foolish(read crazy expensive) when you have units ready to complete. I still have so many questions lol.
The Black Houndstooth is actually the previous generation truck seat fabric. So he has that fabric on hand. So yes, I guess you can say “semi custom”. But he doesn’t like doing custom covers, and honestly I don’t either. It’s just too time consuming getting the Fabrics now. And the cost of custom covers is more. I spent time for awhile trying to get people what they wanted as far as “custom”. I found that I was wasting my time. Not one person ever followed thru, and I didn’t have that kind of time spare on doing all the leg work that’s involved. It was taking time away from me of getting anything done. It’s just me, myself and I.
Old 03-05-2022, 09:38 PM   #691
TKCR

This is a 1977-1980 Fully Restored BenchSeat. Black & White Houndstooth. It will be heading to Missouri once it’s packed up.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2022, 08:27 PM   #692
TKCR

Charcoal Velour Deluxe, fully restored. Being picked up Friday.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2022, 11:29 PM   #693
JJH Jimmy

Quote:
Charcoal Velour Deluxe, fully restored. Being picked up Friday.
Looks great! I can’t wait to get this installed in my project!
2021 GMC 2500HD Duramax AT4

My "It's a Jimmy Thing" Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=583528
Budget Build 1985 K20
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=801565
JJH Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:52 PM   #694
TKCR

Built a couple of seats, and they are going to be picked up this weekend.
Charcoal Velour and a Black Vinyl
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2022, 11:53 PM   #695
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Can you tell by the frame what the seat is?
We took the seat out our 68 the other day.
And looks suspiciously like a squarebody bench.
Only has a tilt release on the passenger side.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:54 AM   #696
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
Can you tell by the frame what the seat is?
We took the seat out our 68 the other day.
And looks suspiciously like a squarebody bench.
Only has a tilt release on the passenger side.
I can, on most seats.
Pic #1 The 73-80 seat, if it’s a tilting seat, will have the release of both sides of the seat just behind the seat back. And then the seat slide adjust knob will on the drivers side of the seat, towards the door opening.
Pic #2 shows a better picture of the passenger side seat release.
Pic #3 is the seat slide adjust.
Pic #4 is the 81-87 seat, which tilts, but doesn’t have a release. They just tilt forward by leaning the seatback forward. Unless it’s a Suburban or CrewCab front, those are fixed and do not tilt forward. Slide adjust is in the front of the seat.
Pic #5 just shows the 81-87 bottom frame & grid. It is definitely different than the 73-80 seats.
Attached Images

Last edited by TKCR; 04-08-2022 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-08-2022, 09:45 AM   #697
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Thanks, when I get home later I'll see if I can identify it.

The 68 had buckets originally. Who knows what's been swapped around.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:16 AM   #698
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Tina, that houndstooth seat up at 691 is very nice.!.great job on that

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:16 PM   #699
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Tina, that houndstooth seat up at 691 is very nice.!.great job on that
Thank you! that's one of my FAVORITES
Old 04-27-2022, 06:43 PM   #700
TKCR