The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2016, 08:48 PM   #1
matthew21lutz

83 Starry Night

So after a lost build post and probably with good reason, I'm starting a new build thread for my truck, which I'm calling Starry Night.

After going back and fourth on design ideas for the past three years, I now have the means to build my truck the way I want. Dropped 2.5" in the front and 4" in the back, a black metallic paint with silver and gold flake (hence the starry night). Want to keep the small block in it, probably going to rebuild the engine with heads, cam, intake, carb maybe efi and some other little things. Full length headers, then build or get a 2.5" exhaust system made, that's mandrel bent, with x-pipes and magna-flow mufflers, either will do rear exit exhaust(2nd Image) or dump it after the rear end. Posi rear end with the gears we decide on later. Going to go with 17x8 steelies with some mickey thompsons, not sure on the sizes just yet. Inspiration for the stance came from this beauty:

I DO NOT OWN THESE IMAGES

Would Like to eventually take apart the entire truck and powder coat the frame and pretty much the entire drivetrain. After that, going to replace on bushing and body mounts, most will be replaced with polyurethane bushings.

Interior is going to take a while, would like to customize the door panels somewhat like these. But I'd like to add in door handles like the second one. Going to end up going to low back bucket seats with a center console. All of the interior is going to be black with rgb led's for interior lighting (3rd Image).

matthew21lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:51 PM   #2
matthew21lutz

Re: 83 Starry Night

So thus far, in three years, this is what I have accomplished with this truck.

Before I destroyed a running and driving truck.

When I took out the original steering column for a column shift and tilt. This is also when we changed out the trans from a granny 3 speed to a th350, which quite frankly, we thought was a 700-r4(we didn't know ****).

"Fixing" the hole in the transmission tunnel before I got a welder. Yes, I know this is not the proper way to do it. I will fix it properly someday.

So this was last March, we put in a new Intake, Carb, Cap n Rotor, Spark Plugs, Wires, Fuel Filter, Thermostat, New Coolant, Oil n Filter, pretty much a tune up on steroids.

My Step Father and I working on the truck
Old 05-24-2016, 08:53 PM   #3
matthew21lutz

We just put in new valve stem seals about two weeks ago, when we did them we found two bent pushrods so went ahead and put all new pushrods in. Now there's no more smoke and it purs like a kitten.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:31 PM   #4
rip2174

curious about the door panels you posted? The tan ones. Any info on those? They look pretty sweet!!
rip2174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:21 PM   #5
matthew21lutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip2174 View Post
curious about the door panels you posted? The tan ones. Any info on those? They look pretty sweet!!
Sculpt garage out of San Marcos, Texas made em, they're a one off street rod style interior design, fabrication, and upholstery

Sculpt Garage on Instagram
Old 05-24-2016, 10:45 PM   #6
Jrgunn5150

Sweet dude, keep plugging away.

Link to Daryl's build, http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...10#post8443010

Link to my Youtube channel with build info, https://www.youtube.com/thedrivewayengineer
Jrgunn5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:38 PM   #7
Woodyboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew21lutz View Post
. Yes, I know this is not the proper way to do it. I will fix it properly someday.
What are you talking about? It's YOUR truck, isn't it? You can to anything you want with it. That's called: "THE PRIVILEGE OF OWNERSHIP."
Woodyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:40 PM   #8
matthew21lutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodyboat View Post
What are you talking about? It's YOUR truck, isn't it? You can to anything you want with it. That's called: "THE PRIVILEGE OF OWNERSHIP."
That may be but, I dont like the glue and screws, I'd rather have it welded and permanently sealed
Old 05-25-2016, 05:38 AM   #9
Woodyboat

Well... just promise yourself that you will get it the way you want as soon as you can. I fully understand your wanting it one way and circumstances pushing you to do it another way. I recently did all the body work and painted my car. It took about six weeks longer than I had originally anticipated but I couldn't let so many things go. I'm just too anal.
Woodyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:20 PM   #10
matthew21lutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodyboat View Post
Well... just promise yourself that you will get it the way you want as soon as you can. I fully understand your wanting it one way and circumstances pushing you to do it another way. I recently did all the body work and painted my car. It took about six weeks longer than I had originally anticipated but I couldn't let so many things go. I'm just too anal.
I am the same way, that's why I can't be the one to paint my truck, it would take forever because I want it absolutely perfect. I'm gonna end up letting someone paint my truck that has great experience and has good references.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #11
calvin78612

I'm in for this one !
Old 05-25-2016, 08:31 PM   #12
Jrgunn5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew21lutz View Post
I am the same way, that's why I can't be the one to paint my truck, it would take forever because I want it absolutely perfect. I'm gonna end up letting someone paint my truck that has great experience and has good references.
No one is more critical of your work than you. If you have any pride anyway lol.

I just cut my whole floorboard, inner and outer rockers back off because of an 1/8 of gap that wasn't right lol.

Link to Daryl's build, http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...10#post8443010

Link to my Youtube channel with build info, https://www.youtube.com/thedrivewayengineer
Jrgunn5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:38 PM   #13
matthew21lutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrgunn5150 View Post
No one is more critical of your work than you. If you have any pride anyway lol.

I just cut my whole floorboard, inner and outer rockers back off because of an 1/8 of gap that wasn't right lol.
Yup, my problem currently is I had to repair the rust on my driver side floor, went up the inner kick panel and a small portion of the rocker. So now I have it all ready to go except I got greedy and cut too much, too fast. Im going to have to weld a butt joit that's probably close to an 1/8 of an inch. I am so mad at myself, took hours to get the floorpan cut down and then I messed it up big time
Old 06-18-2016, 03:18 PM   #14
matthew21lutz

Post Re: 83 Starry Night

So I've told you my plans and with a sale coming up, somethings are going to start soon on the ride, time for a full build plan.

First Things first, I give y'all some MAJOR props on ur rides, some are just beyond badass and some of y'all got skills I couldn't dream of having.

A lot of the work that I will being to this truck will be custom one off stuff. This truck is not just a daily driver but, it's meant to haul cars, building materials, hauling a$$, parts and this eventually will be a shop truck. Once I've made some cash I plan on flipping and customizing cars on the side. Back to the build though!!

Current Situation, Just To Get The Truck 100% Road Ready:
Need to rebuild the motor since the valve stem seals are leaking oil into the pistons(have replaced the valve stem seals and no more smoke!! WOO HOO!), also it's the original motor so it has got some miles on it for sure. Slight metal work on a few places, worst being on the driver side floor and side kick panel, needs body work (more pics coming soon). Wiring harness needs to be hooked up for the electric windows and locks on the doors, new windshield, new stereo (Can't be going anywhere without music!) and new steering box or rebuild.

I'll be buying parts from majority of parts from a few different places; lmctruck.com, rockauto.com, summitracing.com and wrench a part in Belton, Texas. Few more things to consider are that this will be frame off restoration, I'll be powder-coating the frame as well as undercoating the under side of the bed, cab and inner fender wells. Hoping to be done with the truck by the end of this year.

The Build Plan:
  • Rebuild the motor or A 350 Long Block from Summit
  • If Rebuilt it'll rebuilt with heads, cam, intake, carb maybe efi and some other little things
  • Automatic Trans (Tremec TKO500 Quick Lanuch) Thank you SCOTI for your Knowledge!
  • 2.5" exhaust with full length header s(Dual Exhaust)
  • Drop 2.5 inches in the front and 4 inches in the back
  • New rear bumper (81-82 with lights in bumper)
  • Move fog lights from inside grille to the bumper (May do "Thin Line" leds)
  • Make a custom grille
  • Metallic Black paint with silver and gold flake
  • Spray in bed-liner (I'll be spraying it in) along with the frame and other misc. parts
  • 17 Inch Cragar Soft 8 Wheels
  • Either a 5gal or 2 2.5gal air tanks with dual compressors
  • Air Pressure gauge inside of the center console
  • Air "Ports" on the front and back of the truck
  • Most Likely will end up having helper springs as well
  • 12v dual battery system
  • Vintage air setup for ac and heating
  • New trans, fuel and brake lines
  • LED tail lights, H4 Conversion headlights

The Interior:
  • Recaro racing seats down the road.
  • New bench seat for the time being
  • Tilt steering column with column-shift (Already Done)
  • New carpet, seat belts & dash pad
  • Going to Customize the door panels I have like above
  • Custom center console (I'll make my self with wood & fiberglass)
  • The center console will have 6.5" speakers made in and hiding all the wiring for audio and accessories below with access panel
  • Would like to get the center console, seats, dashpad and door panels all wrapped in pleather
  • Switches for interior lights, locks and windows (Not the stock ugly ones )

The Stereo, because I NEVER do not have music on:
  • RetroSound stereo
  • JBL amp
  • 10" jbl sub behind the seat
  • 8 speakers total plus the sub
  • 2 6x9's on the doors
  • 2 6.5" in center console
  • 2 tweeters on the a-pillars
  • 2 more 6x9's behind the seat
  • May make it 10 and put two 3" in the dash

More Accessories:
  • LED lighting through out
  • Numerous switches (2 zones of Interior Lights, Bed Lighting, Air Compressors, Accessory Power, maybe more)
  • Console mounted shifter.
  • Custom Gauge Panel with 6 to 8 Speed Hut Gauges

PS: If you got something you think is badass on ur ride let's see it, because after-all...