The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2011, 07:48 AM   #26
MacGyver72

Re: Cheap Tricks

Wanna paint wheels with the tires still on? Coat the tire with baby oil then paint away. The overspray will wipe off the tire with ease.
MacGyver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:40 AM   #27
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Good ideas/info here!

My biggest simple tip is labeling bolts/screws in bags when you take them off the truck....and if you want to paint them before re-installing, stick them through a piece of cardboard and only the heads will be painted.
I'll take this one step further... I write it down on a post-it note and put it in the bag, that way I can re-use the bags. Talk about being cheap!
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394

Last edited by RenoKeene; 10-21-2011 at 10:05 AM.
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #28
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Bed Sheets. Come in handy for lots of stuff. I use one with fitted corners to cover my short step bed, stretches over the top of the bed and stays there. Keeps every thing off my pretty bed wood while I'm working on the truck.
I'll probably buy a tan one to keep the Florida sun off of the wood when it sits outside all day at work, shows, whatever...wont look bad either.
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394

Old 10-18-2011, 09:12 AM   #29
Olds-kewl

Lapping compound on your phillips screwdriver is a good idea, but if you don't have any laying around. Use some scouring powder paste, a little powder (ajax,comet or what ever) with a touch of water works great. Remove minor rust from chrome with tin foil. take piece of tin foil crumple it up dip it in water and rub the rusted area, removes the rust and does not scratch.
Olds-kewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #30
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olds-kewl View Post
Lapping compound on your phillips screwdriver is a good idea, but if you don't have any laying around. Use some scouring powder paste, a little powder (ajax,comet or what ever) with a touch of water works great. Remove minor rust from chrome with tin foil. take piece of tin foil crumple it up dip it in water and rub the rusted area, removes the rust and does not scratch.
Very kewl, tin foil, I gotta try this...shinny side out? or does it matter.
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Old 10-18-2011, 09:34 AM   #31
Olds-kewl

doesnt matter
Olds-kewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #32
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Cardboard.
I save the boxes that parts come in. You can unfold the bigger ones and use them to lay on when your working in the dirt. Make sure you remove those big bronze colored staples...they will cut the crap out of ya in a heartbeat. I also use these in the shop when I'm changing fluids, easier to throw em away then clean the concrete.
You also will need boxes if your going to sell and ship leftover stuff.
Attn LMC: QUIT SHIPPING ME STYROFOAM PEANUTS! My yard looks like it snowed...and I live in Florida!
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Last edited by RenoKeene; 10-21-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #33
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoKeene View Post
Cardboard.
Attn LMC: QUIT SHIPPING ME STYROFOAM PEANUTS! My yard looks like it snowed...and I live in Florida!
+ 2,3,4, and 5!!!
But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:19 PM   #34
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot trux View Post
drill bit stop. cut apiece of rubber hose a little shorter than the drill bit length. Keeps from going in to far
I usually use copper tubing so it doesn't compress.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:26 PM   #35
BMERDOC

Subscribed so I can bookmark this. I've got a good one but I need to take a pic of the tool tomorrow at work.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:33 PM   #36
BMERDOC

Ok, I just thought of a good one. Use foamy window cleaner (aerosol) to install rubber parts. I use it for bushings, o-rings, coolant hoses...any rubber parts I wanna install and not use some petroleum based product on. Slides on easy with no residue.
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 10-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #37
redmonster

this is for all of us since we work hard to keep our toys running
if you ever get a good size cut and dont want to spend the better part of the day nursing it clean with soap and water then apply a thin layer of superglue across it and hold for five seconds till it dries works like a champ

Dont be like me be better than me
redmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:51 PM   #38
dmartin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver72 View Post
Wanna paint wheels with the tires still on? Coat the tire with baby oil then paint away. The overspray will wipe off the tire with ease.
thats awesome!

definately subscribed to this.i only knew like 3 or 4 of all the above mentioned.
1978 k20 Silverado loaded.currently engine-less
1989 k10 suburban 9" lift
65 nova
And more
dmartin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:57 PM   #39
BMERDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmonster View Post
this is for all of us since we work hard to keep our toys running
if you ever get a good size cut and dont want to spend the better part of the day nursing it clean with soap and water then apply a thin layer of superglue across it and hold for five seconds till it dries works like a champ
A good one...use honey as an antibacterial on cuts and cayenne pepper to stop bleeding! Both have been used longer than any one of us has lived and it works! Ask me how I know.
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 10-18-2011, 11:15 PM   #40
Ackattack

done with spray paint? turn the can over and spray to clear out the tube/tip

I thought I was the only one to use nails to fill trim holes

I used this one once. Broken exhaust manifold stud? Take a small C-clamp, cut off the "handle" and weld on a nut. Clamp the exhaust to the manifold and then you can tighten it down with a ratchet. Fix when you get a chance.

Used this one once too: Break a panhard bar off the axle while on a trail? (in a jeep fyi) use motorcycle ratchet straps to locate the axle. Got me to the closest 4x4 shop.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #41
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
Ok, I just thought of a good one. Use foamy window cleaner (aerosol) to install rubber parts. I use it for bushings, o-rings, coolant hoses...any rubber parts I wanna install and not use some petroleum based product on. Slides on easy with no residue.
Very smart...I've been using dishwashing soap. I saved a windex spray bottle that I keep water in...a couple squirts and the soaps gone.
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Last edited by RenoKeene; 10-21-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #42
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

I keep a small notebook handy, the kind with a hard cover, mostly for writing installation steps down...like starter, then trans lines, then flywheel cover, then the headers! Took a few trys to get that right.

I'm going to buy another notebook just for writing these tricks in, this stuff is priceless! Here in FL you can buy school supplies right before school starts and don't have to pay sales tax either.

I hope you youngsters are paying attention to this thread, you'll be way ahead of your buds
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Last edited by RenoKeene; 10-21-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #43
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Todays Cheap Trick:
I use drywall screws to fix broken emblem studs. Grind the break flat, drill a small pilot hole, drill a larger hole, grind the point off of the screw, gently thread the screw into the emblem then cut the head off. A dab of JB weld at the base and you are done. The one below was my first attempt and I didn't have any JB....but it worked and like the picture says "Guaranteed to work or your money back".
Attached Images

97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Last edited by RenoKeene; 10-21-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #44
flashed

Lots of good ideas ,great thread .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #45
waybad

sweet!
waybad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #46
grayharville
^^who I am^^ what I say>

I've got one. Have a pesky ground out wire that's draining your battery and you can't find it? I can narrow it down.

1.With the key OFF, remove the POSITIVE battery cable.
2. Place a test light in line with the cable, ie. Positive side touching battery post and negative side touching battery cable terminal.
3. If you have a direct short the light should be dimly lit, since the positive circuit is being grounded somewhere.
4. Have a buddy watch the test light while you begin pulling fuses from the fuse block.
5. Pull fuses and replace one at a time until the light goes off.
6. Note which fuse caused the light to go out. That will be the circuit draining your battery.
7. Inspect wires in that circuit till you find a melted or shorted wire.
8. Repair and feel better.

I ran across this recently while trying to find why my battery was draining, after realizing it was in the radio circuit I found a cut wire grounding out.
I saved alot of time as this only took 5-10 minutes.

I credit this to my dad. Hope it works for anyone who needs it
Posted via Mobile Device

East Tx Squares

Last edited by grayharville; 10-20-2011 at 11:31 PM.
grayharville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:17 AM   #47
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Baby oil on tyres is a bad idea, baby oil attacks and perishes rubber, this is the reason you should never let it get near a condom as they just disintegrate!

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:10 AM   #48
72 tigger

If I'm removing all the electrical & other stuff from an area like the cab dash, I like to shoot a video from a few different angles. It's a cheap & easy way to be sure to get everything routed the same way the factory did.
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #49
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lippyp View Post
Baby oil on tyres is a bad idea, baby oil attacks and perishes rubber, this is the reason you should never let it get near a condom as they just disintegrate!
You can also make a paste out of comet and water, coat the tires real good, paint then wash the paste off.
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Last edited by RenoKeene; 10-21-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #50
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Thanks for posting guys...I know this stuff is going to help if we can get folks to read it. I thought we would get some tips from some of the heavy hitters on here but maybe they havn't found it yet. Maybe if I add some color it will be easier to find what your looking for. Yea, thats better.

Girls have some tricks too:
Nail polish works pretty good for re-doing emblems, comes in every color you can think of...and they have clear coat too.
If you run a points dist. keep a nail file or emery board in your glove box. You can clean those points up real quick and be on your way.

Come on girls...help us out.
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Last edited by RenoKeene; 10-21-2011 at 10:11 AM.