The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2020, 04:21 PM   #1
Baker819

How much contact do ball joint need in the taper?

I come from a background of installing big propellers on ships and inspected my new spindle and ball joints tapers. The ECE spindles had a semi smooth surface. The proforged ball joints were beautiful looking. I blue fit them and had maybe 50% contact with enough contact on the top and bottom to know they were correct. I used some lapping compound and got the spindles surface in the taper to me smooth and increased the contact to 70-80%. But the biggest end of the tapers do not touch. Averaging about 5/16" on no contact then 100% after that. When I install the ball joint and tighten it to about 60 lbs I get thats when I get the 70-80% contact... which even before I put a nut on its tight without wobble... itd just be really nice to not have the ball joint be not touching on one side.

Most people probably dont even blue fit the ball joints. With aftermarket parts and bad luck so far with my front end Im just be careful. What do you guys think?
Attached Images

Baker819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:00 AM   #2
67C10Step

Re: How much contact do ball joint need in the taper?

Baker,
If you are getting 70-80% contact you are probably as good, or better, than every other truck like this on the road.

I've been an engineer for almost 30 years now and tend to find myself in these situations. So much so, my daughter bought me this sticker for my hard hat for my birthday this year.
Attached Images

2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:05 AM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
Baker,
If you are getting 70-80% contact you are probably as good, or better, than every other truck like this on the road.

I've been an engineer for almost 30 years now and tend to find myself in these situations. So much so, my daughter bought me this sticker for my hard hat for my birthday this year.
She's def a keeper! LoL...
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:23 PM   #4
Baker819

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
Baker,

Thats hilarious. I enjoy learning but anymore I dont take on projects that I feel I need to understand everything lol.

In the shipyard the center of the props were often hollow in middle of the taper. I think my boss said to much contact and they were really hard to unseat. After I made the post I figured I would bug the people that make ball joints and see if I can squeeze any nuggets out of them.

I agree its probably good enough, its not like its a trophy truck or something.
Baker819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:35 AM   #5
KMAT

Lmao love the sticker
KMAT is offline   Reply With Quote