The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 06:47 PM   #1
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Lost ignition key? Fear no more. (A how to on fixing this)

here is a quick and painless answer if you need to get on the road like now.
Go to the junk yard and find a truck with the key in the ignition. I'm not positive, but I am pretty sure the vans with ignitions in the dash will swap to trucks no problem.
1. With the key in the ignition, turn it counter clockwise to the ACC position...if it is a 68 or older, it may or may not have said position, if not, then start off with the key in the ignition switch, and in the off position.
2. Insert paperclip ir real small allen wrench into the small round hole by the key slot. You should feel it go against a spring loaded plate. Depress the plate with the clip or wrench.
3. twist the ignition switch counter clockwise. You may have to wiggle, push whole assembly in, cuss...ect. If the lock cylinder does not pop out, then try shooting some PB Blaster into the assembly. Continue untill it pops out. If the key comes out of the switch when the switch is turns, then it has a worn tumbler. You'll need a tiny screwdriver bent to where it is almost J shaped. (the tip should curve a little less than a J) or the proper tools, which you can find on the dentists table when getting your teeth cleaned. (or at sears in the tool section) You'll want to have the switch turned, and pull the key out, hook your tool into the key slot and pull gently. Brute force will not help here. You may need a combo of hooked tool pulling and kei in wiggling back and forth...some times they are a b!tch, other times they pop out in your hand.
3. Once the lock cylinder is in your hand, place it (and the key) out of the way in a safe spot. (tool box tray) Now you'll need to remove the whole ignition switch. Reach under the dash behinde the ignition switch, You may want to look at it with a flash light...I can't remember how the plug is retained...I think it has a couple PITA fingers that need depressed. unplug it. Or, since you'r at a junk yard, just cut the harness and you can deal with the plug later when you aren't upside down looking up into the dash.
4. Sit back up in truck, take a small hammer and chisel...or screw driver, and place the tip in the 'decorative' depressions in the ignition switch bezel or trim. Tap it in a counter clockwise turn untill it starts spinning off. You may have to rech around and hold it from the rear once it is loose. Remove from dash by letting it fall out from behind the dash.
5. Put key and key cylinder back onto the ignition switch assembly and ensure it clicks into place by turning it to the on position. Go pay for it, I would place the key in my pocket myself...some places will only sell as a matched set and make you buy the door locks which probably don't fit the key anyways. (If you check, and it does fit both doors, grab them for a winter project so you'll have a matched set.
6. Now, hitch a ride home since your truck is at home still, reach under the dash and unplug the ignition switch, and then just plug in your new one. Let it dangle under the dash like in the picture.

You can now start your truck up, drive it to work, and explain why you are late. If you'r lucky, the boss will tell you to go get a copy and laugh.

Now, you can take your time and remove the keyless ignition switch without damaging your dash...or you can wait untill you find the real key, but it won't turn up untill you destroy it...probably moments later.
I used a hammer, (5 pounder) an assortment of cheap already damaged screw drivers, some chissels, lots of cussing, and the aformentioned paperclip/allen wrench. Basicly, hammer something into it and get it to turn counter clockwise...then do it as if that large screw driver sticking out is a key and go back to step one.
Be very carefull with that hammer. If you get too carried away, it'll do dammage to the dash...and your ego...esp if it makes you bleed.
It took me about a month of messing with it a little here, and a little there to get mine done. In all reality, it was probably 4 or 5 hrs of messing with it, but by spreading it over the said month, I never bled nor damaged the dash.

Oh, and a word of advice, make sure you have proof of ownership while cruising with the key hangin under the dash. If you get pulled over for something stupid like doing 20 over the speed limit, or your license plate light being burned out, the cop WILL give you the third degree untill you prove yourself. Ask me how I know. (I didn't have good enough proof with me either)

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 11-12-2004 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:26 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Note...neither pic is mine...thanks to whom ever took them.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:34 AM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

That second pic looks like my spare key ! Thanks for the good info Andy!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
Closed Thread