The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 01:38 AM   #1
Americanrider

Bed winch & mount

I'm getting to old to be lifting heavy stuff up into my truck so my Dad and I came up with this idea. A removable mounted bed winch. I started with the scrap box tube from a camper special rear bumper, the inner tubing is strong stuff 2"OD. I cut it to 67 inches [distance between stake pockets] the two parts are 30" & 37" so that the joint will be offset. I ground the ends for a better welding joint and added 3 inches of a inner sleave. The smaller box tube is for strength. I spot welded the inner sleave to one of the cross tubes and ground the weld down so the two larger tubes would fit tight.
Attached Images

Last edited by Americanrider; 06-09-2005 at 02:46 AM.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:02 AM   #2
Americanrider

Part 2

I found some scrap C-channel that fit into the stake pockets and welded those on each end. I used some larger box tube for the receiver and some flat plate and centered it to the cross tube mounted vertical like a trailer hitch receiver. I added some angle iron legs that brace to the front bed side. The force of pulling will try to rotate the cross tube and tear the stake pockets, this will prevent that from happening. [Note the center weld joint of the cross tube is offset from where I welded the receiver plate to the cross tube, about 4 inches to the left in the last pic]
Attached Images

Last edited by Americanrider; 06-09-2005 at 02:05 AM.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:22 AM   #3
Americanrider

Part 3

I bought a Warn 1500 ATV winch off of E-bay for $200, it came with the base plate, roller fairlead and the handlebar mount switch. Another piece of box tube for the stinger insert along with a flat plate that’s larger that the winch mounting plate. I drilled out the mount holes in the larger base plate to match the factory mount plate then welded the two together. Some Grade 5 mounting bolts from the hardware store and 2 Grade 8’s for the roller fairlead. (I’m surprised that these where NOT included in the kit from Warn) cheap bastards! I mounted the solenoid to one of the brace legs and wired up to a spare red-top battery. The switch is hung (temporary) to the cross beam. The winch is removable with only a bolt through the receiver and a quick disconnect from the battery. I plan to add a locking battery box later and get a remote control switch with at least 10 feet lead so I can move around while loading/winching.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2005, 02:37 AM   #4
Americanrider

It works!

I had thought of making a whole cab headache rack but my bed is a little off center from dumping on a hillside, it would have looked half-baked. I think the rear hinges of my bed are sprung. Final solution was to bungee the battery to the brace and strap in my spare to help hold the battery in place when at the full up position. I loaded this Dana 44 in under 10 minutes by myself and didn‘t break a sweat! I would recommend using a bigger winch, this little 1.5 strains a bit. Maybe a 2000 lb or 2500 lb Warn would be just right. [It sure helps to have a dump bed and a slick ramp board] I also plan to see if there is a way to mount my Hi-lift jack to this later on.

Note: Another pic for those member who haven't seen my truck in the full "up"
Attached Images

Last edited by Americanrider; 06-09-2005 at 02:51 AM.
Closed Thread