The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 11:26 PM   #1
bs25j

After market bolt and screw kits..

My trucks all taken apart and i wanted to replace all the old nuts and bolts. I was originally just gona go to the hardware store and replace them piece by piece but ive seen some complete kits on ebay and they look like they might be the way to go. do any of you have any recomendations??
Old 10-20-2005, 12:50 AM   #2
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Re: After market bolt and screw kits..

I don't know just what you're looking at on ebay. I'm assuming stainless steel fasteners. My experience has led me not to use any ss fasteners from the Asian market. You're dealing with unknown material compositons and heat treat, which leads to failure. Some of the vendors on this board sell only high quality, made in the US fasteners. Yes, you pay a bit more, but it's not a place to scrimp. You will also find that the hardware store bolt prices will kill your budget.

For links go to the top of this forum and look in the help those who support us threads.

Also, for buying bolts locally, if there are any farm stores in your area check them out. Usually they sell alloy steel bolts by the pound, the price usually runs about 2/3 of what you pay at the hardware store.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:08 PM   #3
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

Totally Stainless is a great company to deal with on stainless fasteners that are automotive style and their prices are good. They also sell ARP fasteners at the best prices I've found anywhere.

As far as stainless steel bolts made in Asia, virtually all are these days except ARP. There are many stainless steel fasteners that are as tough as grade 8 bolts. They even make stainless U bolts for rearends. The main thing is to understand the grade of bolt you need for a particular application.

http://totallystainless.net/totally.html
Old 10-20-2005, 01:12 PM   #4
cdowns

totally stainless is a good place to deal with//if i purchase local i go to a boat supply place for top quality stainless hardware
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
Old 10-21-2005, 09:57 AM   #5
bs25j

so you guys think that all stainless is the way to go..Cause the kits i found said that they were coated to factory specs with like zinc or black phosphate..
Old 10-21-2005, 10:40 AM   #6
Rud's 69-C10

ZINC or Black Phosphate only add PROTECTION to the fastener from the elements. Of equal concern, should be for the given application of the said fastener.

I think you should seek these items from a U.S. firm.

My$0.02

-Rudi-
'86 Ranger 4x4
Old 10-21-2005, 12:56 PM   #7
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Stainless fasteners have their own problems. Having spent several years working corrosion problems in aircraft, I have some knowledge on the subject. The two biggest problems are:

Thread galling: This occurs when a SS nut is used on a SS bolt. Under pressure, the threads will weld themselves together, making separation difficult. Anti-sieze or threadlocker will help, but the best practice is to use an alloy steel nut on a SS bolt.

Galvanic corrosion: When SS is in contact with a non-ferrous metal (aluminum, brass, copper) an electrical field is created, and causes corrosion. Again, anti-sieze or threadlocker will help.

It is highly recommended that anti-sieze compound or threadlocker be used on any SS bolt in any application. Buy only SS fasteners that are graded, the system is similar to that of alloy steel bolts. I know that GMC Paul sells bolts from Totally Stainless, they come in plastic packaging with labels for where they go. What is sold in most hardware stores is not graded, and of questionable quality.

ARP makes good bolts. Aircraft quality, too. But the cost is high, and the average truck owner will get better use of his money with Totally Stainless.

Alloy steel bolts are also good. Most of what is sold now does not have a good enough finish, and they start to rust as soon as a wrench is used. The black phosphate is better than most zinc plating, but that also depends on the quality of the finish. Again, use only graded bolts. Grade 5 for most truck applications, grade 8 where the added strength is needed, such as suspension. If you follow the advice of replacing a bolt with the same grade as the original, you will have a hard time going wrong. Also, the kits will be cheaper than the hardware store.

Another finish on alloy bolts not mentioned is cadmium plating. Usually gold colored and found on grade 8 bolts. It is also better than zinc plating, as long as it isn't damaged during installation.

I buy most of my bolts at a farm store. There the grade 5 bolts have cad plating, which I prefer. The grade 8 bolts there have a purple finish, similar to the cadmium. All of their bolts are made in Rockford, IL. This allows me to get a decent price, a good finish, and the bolts are made in the USA.

With any bolts, I am now using threadlocker or anti-sieze on my trucks. Most locations get blue Loctite, where strength is needed red is used. Anti-sieze for high temp and lug nuts. This helps keep rusted bolts from being a problem. Also, the Loctite products are now offered in stick form, making their use cleaner.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Closed Thread