The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
C10 Club Tennessee

Back of hood sticking up?

The back of my hood is sticking up. I've tried a couple different things. Would the hinges be the cause of this. I was going the cheaper fixes first before I had to go with the most expensive fix.

is it the hinges?

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4

Last edited by 5150; 12-18-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
killacheyenne

Re: Back of hood sticking up?

sounds like the hinges to me

83 chevy...4x4...454
Old 12-18-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
leddzepp

It is the hinges. I had the same problem. You can loosen the bolts that attach them to the fender. Be careful not to loosen them too much, you do not want the hood hinges to slide out of the position they are already in. Then tilt your hood up...as if you were going to open it further than it can, and watch as the back of the hinges go down. After you get them to go down a bit, snug them up, and shut your hood. This should bring the back of the hood down. I hope I explained this clearly enough. If I have not, someone else will chime in and word it better.

Last edited by leddzepp; 12-18-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:35 PM   #4
leddzepp

Also try lubing the hinges at all pivot points. This really helps. They are after all 40 yrs old, and will go out of adjustment. I adjusted mine in the manner I described above, and it worked great for bringing the back of my hood down. It was definitely cheaper than buying new hinges.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
chipflyer

If the adjustment procedure doesn't work, more than likely the rivets are wore out and are egg shaped. Remove the springs and see how loose the pivot points are. If there is to much slop in the pivot points the adjustment procedure or spring replacement won't help much.
GOOD NEWS, your original hinges can be rebuilt by these folks, http://www.hoodhingerepair.com/services.html
I haven't used them YET but do know someone who has and his 40 year old hinges are like brand new for roughly the price of a pair of junk reproduction hinges.
Good Luck

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #6
Huck

I'll bet you $50. it can be adjusted without changing the hinges!!
Don't know how many members I've helped with this but if I had a $1. for each one, I could probably buy another truck.
Open hood. Hold in open position. Have someone loosen the rear two hinge to fender bolts and loosen the front one just a tad. Push hood up till the hinges rotate backward a bit. Tighten rear bolts on both hinges. Check alignment as you lower hood. 99-100 times, this adjustment will lower the rear of your hood without having to replace anything.
Ever wonder why a set of old hinges with old springs have a perfectly adjusted hood till it is removed one time and then all of a sudden the "hinges are bad"?
Hindges do get warn out but, in most cases by pushing the hood up when hinges are loose, you can leverage the hinge enough to get a perfect adjustment.
See GMC Paul's tech tips for hood alignment adjustment~~~~~
HUCK
Old 12-19-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
Huck

Now if the hinges are not lubricated properly, then telling how to adjust them is kind of like telling someone who's truck wouldn't start to check for gas, turn the key, make sure it's in park or neutral, etc. Some things are just to obvious even for Mr. Obvious!!! Lube hinges is part of the truck owners manual maintenance guide. hehehehehe
Old 12-19-2008, 05:15 PM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I saw huck recomend this many years ago, and I have showed many many members on here and they are always amazed (as was I).
I would try adjusting them first (CAREFULL if you have nice paint)
then check the rivits as mentioned
A lot of times, new springs will pull the hood down if the rivits are semi-decent.
Closed Thread