The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
fivekitten

PCV Valve & Integrated non-integrated 250 head question

Please bear with me, I'm clueless and usually just reading everybody's posts and looking at pictures.

I have a 76 chevy c-10 pickup, 250 inline and just had the integrated head switched over to a non-integrated head from a 70 250 jimmy a few weeks ago. Thus, new (used) intake manifold (thanks to two wonderful guys in Greenville TN).

Traveled a lot pulling a trailer. Abused my poor truck. Had transmission seal replaced a week later after spending (literally more than) $300 on transmission fluid inching up the the expressway in the Blue Ridge Mountains hoping to make it...somewhere......thank God for Max Meadows...

Anyhow, home now. Engine seems to be burning hot and not happy shifting, but guessing I've gone through a lot of pressure changes. Hoping it's smoking cause of fluids burning off or new gaskets. (think not.)

While checking fluids and pondering problems, found out the pcv valve was disconnected and it just popped off. (admittedly, I spent 2 hours trying to find out that the part in my hand was in fact a pcv valve.)

So, what I'm wondering (I've read other pcv valve posts here and wikipedia and autozone, that's the extent of my education), if I had the cylinder head changed, and an intake manifold changed, would the pcv valve connection still be the same as in an original 76 250 inline with an integrated head diagram that's on autozone? Or would it have changed because of the change in manifold? Although I can't remember now what the manifold came off of.

I guess I'm just wondering if the pcv valve would still be hooked up the same if I went from an integrated cylinder head to a non-integrated one. That one sentence is probably all I needed Sorry for rambling!

Figure you 70s jimmy guys would know best and all my friends (cough, one friend, one neighbor) are sleeping.

Thanks for any help!
fivekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
RichardJ

Re: PCV Valve & Integrated non-integrated 250 head question

>>same as in an original 76 250 inline with an integrated head diagram that's on autozone?<<
Would have helped if you had shown that link. Oh well.

Your new stock intake should have a vacuum port above the intake runners for cyl #3-#4. Between the carb and the valve cover and points straight up.
A rubber hose from that port would connect to the PCV valve. The PCV valve is pushed into a rubber grommet in the top of the valve cover at the rear.
Next you need a source for fresh air to enter the valve cover at the front. If there is a hole in the top front of the cover AND a hole in the front side, then that side hole would have a hose that connects to the air cleaner to draw in fresh filter air.
If the valve cover only has the top front hole, then that oil fill hole will have to have a breather cap.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
fivekitten

Thank you so much for your help and explaining the front air valve as well. (That actually helped answer questions I acquired since I posted.)

Here's a copy of the pic from autozone of 1976 chevy c-10 pickup pcv valve line. (If I put the link to autozone doesn't show up unless a person is logged in so I started a board of diagrams on pinterest.)

http://pinterest.com/fivekitten/truc...chevy-pickups/

My confusion was also because at what is normally a rubber (I think) pcv valve line, I have a steel one with a "t" as part of the steel at the end. So there's were two "outlets" to wonder about.

And the space where I thought the pcv valve is supposed to go according to the autozone diagram is blocked (rubber hose with bolt in it) and looks like this was done a while ago, not recently with change in integrated/non int. head.

Thought I found two hoses that matched the steel line (originally only saw one) but have since learned that it didn't make sense.

So now learning about EGV, but just wanted to post and say thank you for answering and you definitely helped!!
fivekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
RichardJ

My confusion was also because at what is normally a rubber (I think) pcv valve line, I have a steel one with a "t" as part of the steel at the end. So there's were two "outlets" to wonder about.

And the space where I thought the pcv valve is supposed to go according to the autozone diagram is blocked (rubber hose with bolt in it) and looks like this was done a while ago, not recently with change in integrated/non int. head.

Thought I found two hoses that matched the steel line (originally only saw one) but have since learned that it didn't make sense.

So now learning about EGV, but just wanted to post and say thank you for answering and you definitely helped!!

All the above leaves me with guestions about what you are try ing to do. Is the truck supposed to be smog legal when you are finished?
EGV??? Do you mean EGR? Are you using the intake and exhaust manifolds from the '70 Jimmy and do they have the EGR setup?

What I was talking about and what Autozone is showing you has a grommet in the valve cover. The PCV valve is pushed down into the grommet. The PCV valve then needs a Vacuum Source. It doesn't matter specifically where it comes from or if a rubber hose or steel line is used.

You need to post some pictures of what you have.

This is the vacuum port on my old manifold that I mentioned. It has the port shown in the autozone diagram and it is plugged. Is there a chance that is what you were talking about?
Attached Images