The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2021, 02:08 PM   #1
Minkota

Parking Lights

I have several older cars / trucks and they all have the front parking lights turn off when the headlights turn on.

I was just curious why older vehicles front parking lights turn off when the headlights turn on.

I ordered a new headlight switch today from GMC Paul and noticed I was able to buy the older switch (67-68) that would turn them off or the newer (68-729 that leaves them on.
Minkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:41 PM   #2
Southcity

Re: Parking Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkota View Post
I have several older cars / trucks and they all have the front parking lights turn off when the headlights turn on.

I was just curious why older vehicles front parking lights turn off when the headlights turn on.

I ordered a new headlight switch today from GMC Paul and noticed I was able to buy the older switch (67-68) that would turn them off or the newer (68-729 that leaves them on.
You mention you have several older cars/trucks but you do not mention what years they are. I'm sure one of the other board members with more knowledge on this can chime in but I believe in 1968 the federal safety laws changed which required sidemarkers/front running lights to be on with the headlights. So prior to 68, some vehicles had park lights/headlights on at the same time, some did not.
Old 03-23-2021, 02:47 PM   #3
Minkota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southcity View Post
You mention you have several older cars/trucks but you do not mention what years they are. I'm sure one of the other board members with more knowledge on this can chime in but I believe in 1968 the federal safety laws changed which required sidemarkers/front running lights to be on with the headlights. So prior to 68, some vehicles had park lights/headlights on at the same time, some did not.
They range from 1946 to 1970 and are not just General Motors. I was aware of the Federal law in 1968. I was just curious if anyone knew if there was a reason for it.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:45 AM   #4
Katrina/10

I'd say they were for parking, not driving. I rewired the park lamps in my 51 to be on with the headlights, they were so dim you couldn't see them with the headlights on. So I put them back the way they were.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:06 AM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina/10 View Post
I'd say they were for parking, not driving.
I agree. That was long before DRLs.

If that's not the right answer, we're both wrong.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:36 AM   #6
Minkota

so I finally had a little time to start checking the wiring to try and get my rear parking and brake lights working. I can not seem to locate the harness connectors that are shown on the diagram. where would they typically be located. I did find the three connectors at the rear, but nothing intermediate between the rearmost connector and the firewall junction box.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:14 AM   #7
BigBird05

Going from front to back the first connector is inside the cab at the firewall (round), the next connector is in the rear cross member, left side (also round) from there you have individual connectors on the left and right and center for the light bulbs.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:31 AM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Parking Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkota View Post
so I finally had a little time to start checking the wiring to try and get my rear parking and brake lights working. I can not seem to locate the harness connectors that are shown on the diagram. where would they typically be located. I did find the three connectors at the rear, but nothing intermediate between the rearmost connector and the firewall junction box.
Disconnect the rear connector and put a test light in each terminal and go through the signals and brakes and lights to see if you get anything on each wire. The brakes and turn signals are the same wires. The schematic is color coded for all the light for both sides.

Drivers side lights:

Brown: is parking, tail lights, side marker and tag light.
Light Green: is drivers side backup light.
Yellow: Drivers side brake & turn signal

Passenger side lights:

Light Green: is passenger side backup light.
Dark Green: Passenger side brake & turn signal
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:03 PM   #9
Minkota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Disconnect the rear connector and put a test light in each terminal and go through the signals and brakes and lights to see if you get anything on each wire. The brakes and turn signals are the same wires. The schematic is color coded for all the light for both sides.

Drivers side lights:

Light Green: is drivers side backup light.
Yellow: Drivers side brake & turn signal

Passenger side lights:

Light Green: is passenger side backup light.
Dark Green: Passenger side brake & turn signal
Awesome, thanks. I probably will not get back on it til the weekend again but I an sure going to try to look at it sooner if I can get away.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:20 PM   #10
Minkota

The problem ended up being a combination of a bad turn signal switch and very poor grounds at the rear light fixtures themselves. I added a 10ga wire from the Light Fixtures to the frame and they work great now. Thanks for everyone's help.