The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2021, 10:02 PM   #1
PaddyR

Vintage Air evaporator lines

I’m installing a Vintage Air Sure Fit kit in a 1970 non air. I’ve got the evaporator on the bench installing the mounting brackets and the four lines. How do I position and tighten the lines to make sure the location and spacing is correct to fit thru the firewall grommets? Appreciate the help
PaddyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:55 PM   #2
lux

Re: Vintage Air evaporator lines

I've installed 2 of them so far and I don't remember it being a big problem. I used a tape measurer to get it as close as I could on the work bench. Then when you install it those lines actually have a lot of flex. I some how got it right on the first try both times,, So I think you'll do just fine.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 01:20 AM   #3
Accelo

I just mounted the adapter plate that covers the stock holes and then mounted the evaporator on the inside. Honestly it fit better than I had hoped. The lines are aluminum and a slight tweak is easy enough to do.

Included is a picture of the vintage Air Condenser that may help if you haven't finished that part. I just completed this the day before yesterday. I can't believe how nice their evaporator fit. Didn't have to tweak a thing. Used all factory holes. Flat amazing. Ive gotten used to the China reproduction stuff and to have it fit like it does just blows me away. Great Job Vintage Air.
Attached Images

Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:48 AM   #4
PaddyR

Thanks Lux, so the #10 suction line rests on top of the evaporator and you measured down from there?
Old 04-03-2021, 08:57 AM   #5
PaddyR

Thanks Accelo, I have to agree the condenser brackets and lines fit perfectly from Vintage. Their customer service is excellent, Marx Henry looked after a couple shipment issues and prepaid the items to my door in Canada.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:11 AM   #6
MrBlue

I’m just finishing my install of a Vintage Air unit. I used the firewall plate as a template to make a thin plywood board with the same holes. Then put this over the 4 lines before tightening them. Worked like a dream!
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:18 AM   #7
PaddyR

Perfect, was thinking of making one out of cardboard. As I asked Lux did you let the #10 suction line rest on top of the evaporator as your starting point?