The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
jocko

that heater box thing

Anybody do underhood surgery to remove the abraham lincoln hat-looking goofy heater box on the 64-66 (my apologies to those that like their heater box) and replace with a "less obtrusive" unit? Interested in parts swap you used to make it happen and make it possible to see the passenger side of the engine again...
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: that heater box thing

To get rid of the under hood heater box, you should be able to just remove it and install the original block off plates that came on trucks without a heater. The following shows what they look like on a 60-62. I think the long upper item is the same until 66, and the lower one is a different shape for 63-66.

My truck came stock with no heater so the plates shown are original to the truck. I later removed these and installed the deluxe fresh air heater, and hated it. I put the plates back on and subsequently installed an original recirculating (economy) heater which is completely contained on the passenger side of the firewall. This is all that shows from the engine side:

These heaters may have only been offered in the 60-62 models, I don't have confirmation either way.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
jocko

Good info, thanks very much. Where did you find the economy heater you mentioned and how did you mount it? Looks like a great install in your truck.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:23 PM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Here's a link that shows a great picture of the unit in beautiful condition, much better looking than mine:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...economy+heater

The part that isn't shown, is the distribution ducting connecting the heater box to the windshield defrosters. That part is the same for both the economy and deluxe heaters.
I got mine on Ebay. It was "reconditioned", which basically meant it got repainted with black spray paint. The core hasn't leaked but the fan burned out soon after I got it. Rather than buy a new original style motor, I switched it to one from a Fiero which works great. The Fiero motors are dirt cheap, turn in the correct direction, and are in clean condition since they're mounted in Fiero the trunk. The fan is also lighter since it's plastic.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:00 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Hey Mark

It looks to me like your '62 has the recirculating heater in it already. Are you inquiring about this for another truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Good info, thanks very much. Where did you find the economy heater you mentioned and how did you mount it? Looks like a great install in your truck.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:42 AM   #6
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Hi Captainfab, negative. I was just trying to explain to Jocko what the unit and the installation looks like compared to the deluxe heater.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:51 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Sorry for the misunderstanding that was directed to the other Mark.....jocko....guess I should have worded that differently

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Hi Captainfab, negative. I was just trying to explain to Jocko what the unit and the installation looks like compared to the deluxe heater.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:50 AM   #8
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

oops... never thought of that, sorry.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:18 AM   #9
Slow Build

This is the one that's in my 64. But there was the under hood unit that was amung the parts that were in the bed that came with the truck. I wish I could tell you how well it works but none of the control cables seem to be attached.
Attached Images

Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:44 AM   #10
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

On this type heater, there should really only be one cable connected directly to the heater. It changes the position of the deflector baffle from floor to defrost.

If you have a cable operated mechanical water valve coming from the engine to the heater core, it may be controlled by a second cable, or turned on and off manually at the valve like a water faucet.

The fan is operated by a switch, which is wired to a resistor located in the defrost ducting. It's mounted in the air stream so it doesn't overheat when running at the lower heater speeds. On mine, I substituted a vacuum valve to let hot water into the heater core. This is controlled by a toggle switch connected to an vacuum solenoid valve.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:47 AM   #11
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

There are also some aftermarket units that can be installed in the cab. Here is a link to another thread on this topic.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=367522

Last edited by lakeroadster; 10-24-2009 at 07:48 AM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:54 AM   #12
jocko

This forum is great! Thanks for all the great info on this swap, learning the history of the original options is half the battle (for me).

CaptainFab - you are absolutely correct - the 62 we have already talked about had the econ heater - unfortunately, the title that showed up with the truck turned out to be bogus and the bill of sale had a forged signature - was pure chance that I discovered this (although DMV caught onto it pretty quickly... called it a clear case of "title jumping" and said I was caught in the middle of it), but anyway, long story short - the truck is heading back to it's "owner" and I'm awaiting a full refund. Hopefully. Kind of frustrating. So, I'm already looking for the next "good deal" - and it seems that most of the 64-66's that I see out there have the deluxe heater - something I think I want to avoid - or convert to the econ heater once I get it. Being able to convert opens up more options for several of the trucks for sale out there.

Thanks again all, this was great info and I've got it in my back pocket for the next build.
- jocko
Old 10-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #13
LILRED66
Account Suspended

I wouldn't pass up the next "good deal", just because of the heater style. Any of them can be converted from the Deluxe-Air or Thrift-Air to the Economy-Air set-up.

FYI, I have found the correct heater fan motor at O'Reilly for $19.95, plus tax. They are $29.95, plus tax and shipping at LMC Truck and $26.95, plus tax and shipping at Classic Parts.
Attached Images

Last edited by LILRED66; 10-24-2009 at 09:54 AM.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:38 PM   #14
jocko

Oh I wouldn't pass one by because of the heater - just asking for the details others may have learned in the process because I think I may shoot for a 64-66 next time around. Thanks for the O'Reilly numbet.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:18 PM   #15
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Sorry to hear of your misfortune on the '62. I guess they thought they could get away with it since it was going across the country. I hope you get your refund and shipping costs refunded without much hassle. Let me know if you need anything when you find another truck.