The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2022, 11:21 AM   #1
Phungki

how do I fix this mess?

Im not sure what happened here but I need to try to fix it so I can get a factory style radio back in it. The chevy radio replacement panels seen to be flat where this is definitely on a curve.

truck is a 56 GMC.
Attached Images

Phungki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:48 AM   #2
_Ogre

Re: how do I fix this mess?

unless you are doing a points restoration, why not update from factory radio?
even the factory look replacements are marginal in quality and who'd want AM only?

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:53 AM   #3
Phungki

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
unless you are doing a points restoration, why not update from factory radio?
even the factory look replacements are marginal in quality and who'd want AM only?
Im looking at the factory style replacements that come with blue tooth. They have FM as well
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-07-2022, 02:37 PM   #4
leegreen

That looks like a fun little fix in some solid not rusted outmetal.

Those radios have no bezel so you need an accurate hole.
I assume the holes for knobs are symmetrical to the main hole. You have one good knob hole and the radius / lower edge adjacent to it looks good, Use that to make an accurate template for entire radio opening with both knobs

next you have to straighten up the mess.
Get comfortable sitting in there with a hand behind the dash and good light.
I'd work it in these sections and this order based on how I'm interpreting the highs and lows from the picture
Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  17.0 KB
First pass to get the metal back in place and more passes to refine it. Lots of little taps with the dolly backing the metal but no hammer on dolly hits as you don't want to stretch anything just straighten it out. once you are close you may need hammer on dolly to shrink a couple of those pointy dents
Once you have it looking less dented up, time for some welding.
Guessing that there will be quite a bit of metal missing at 4 so probably make a new piece or pieces to replace a pie shaped chunk that gave me the radius back for the main opening
At 5 I might weld on welding rod the same radius as the turned lip at bottom
to get a new edge.

the other option I might use if I can get the shape of what is there looking good but am finding it pretty flimsy so all the welding and grinding is feeling scary: get the opening shape back by spot-welding a piece behind the dash and using filler to bring the surface up to the original metal. That is a bit of a hack but you could probably get away with it inside the truck, just seal in the back well.

Last option is to replace the entire section with a good piece cut from a donor dash or even a piece made up by hand. The shapes around knobs will the the hard part, but they could be pieced together or made with a hammer form.
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 05:02 PM   #5
Phungki

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
That looks like a fun little fix in some solid not rusted outmetal.

Those radios have no bezel so you need an accurate hole.
I assume the holes for knobs are symmetrical to the main hole. You have one good knob hole and the radius / lower edge adjacent to it looks good, Use that to make an accurate template for entire radio opening with both knobs

next you have to straighten up the mess.
Get comfortable sitting in there with a hand behind the dash and good light.
I'd work it in these sections and this order based on how I'm interpreting the highs and lows from the picture
Attachment 2229212
First pass to get the metal back in place and more passes to refine it. Lots of little taps with the dolly backing the metal but no hammer on dolly hits as you don't want to stretch anything just straighten it out. once you are close you may need hammer on dolly to shrink a couple of those pointy dents
Once you have it looking less dented up, time for some welding.
Guessing that there will be quite a bit of metal missing at 4 so probably make a new piece or pieces to replace a pie shaped chunk that gave me the radius back for the main opening
At 5 I might weld on welding rod the same radius as the turned lip at bottom
to get a new edge.

the other option I might use if I can get the shape of what is there looking good but am finding it pretty flimsy so all the welding and grinding is feeling scary: get the opening shape back by spot-welding a piece behind the dash and using filler to bring the surface up to the original metal. That is a bit of a hack but you could probably get away with it inside the truck, just seal in the back well.

Last option is to replace the entire section with a good piece cut from a donor dash or even a piece made up by hand. The shapes around knobs will the the hard part, but they could be pieced together or made with a hammer form.
man that's an answer. I'm still trying to absorb it all. Live is SE Michigan lol? I was wondering if using part of the Chevys version of a radio patch would at least eliminate the top section. Give it a little curve and butt weld it in. Then I just have the right knob to worry about.
Its hard to determine the easiest solution for me. I haven't done much fabrication but I did cut out and weld in all my own patch panels so cutting and welding as much of it as I can seems best for me. That right knob hole tho........

Thank you

Thank you
Old 11-07-2022, 07:05 PM   #6
leegreen

I'd try to fix what is there before resorting to welding in an entire new piece which will have it's own challenges.
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:47 PM   #7
mick53

I bought a retro radio for my 53 Chevy that has AM, FM, Bluetooth and hands free phone.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:25 PM   #8
fauXGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
I bought a retro radio for my 53 Chevy that has AM, FM, Bluetooth and hands free phone.
Me also.
Looks totally factory and fits in original dash holes, but with updated features. AM/FM, Bluetooth, & hands free. 45 watts X 4. I got it early last year (not installed yet. waiting on paint and finish work) and payed about $350 then, but looked lately. Over $500 now. WOW!
'92 GMC Sonoma GT VIN #0015
'91 GMC Sonoma GT extended cab 1 of 1
.....and more trucks
fauXGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 01:12 AM   #9
mr48chev

I'd follow Leegreens instructions and get it back in shape.
A seach shows that some of the designed to fit radios are available with cover plates that in your case might hide some of the hacking after you get it in pretty decent shape. That could save you a lot of time. work to get it perfect where it will show and as close as you can behind the plate but don't stress about having it totally perfect where it won't show.

This truck is an early 80's daily driver from the looks of it. AM-FM cassette hung under the dash and a tach hanging under it right were it will snag you girl's nylons and bruise her shins. The coverplate around the radio is what I wanted to show though. Added bling with that radio but something like that would help you a lot .
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 11:31 AM   #10
dsraven

leegreen nailed it. fix what you have before you cut and/or weld anything. when it comes to the welding part, do some youtube apprenticeship training and get a few tips on figuring out the heat affected zone and how to avoid a lot of shrinkage distortion.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 03:31 PM   #11
Phungki

Yeah Ill be taking leegreens advice.
YouTube is how I learned to weld lol. That and making mistakes.
Gibson63 was an awesome channel for welding in patches.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-13-2022, 01:10 AM   #12
NWA58

You have a GMC dash and the Chevy options for dash mounts will not fit. There is an expensive replica GMC unit available. https://www.classiccarstereos.com/19...SABEgKmrfD_BwE

The blank space above in the flat part of the panel is for the original ashtray. You can fill both and start over unless you are looking to stay original.
NWA58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 11:37 AM   #13
dsraven

youre prolly gonna hafta hammer and dolly/planish that out yourself. there are dies available to make the dimpled holes I think. I seen someone on here who made their own and someone else commented on them being available in the aftermarket.
I had a spare dash, complete and unmolested except to repair a couple of screw holes on the top. I listed it and had no action. finally a guy from Edmonton drove the 3 hrs down and was delighted to get it, along with the entire dash accy set and a steering wheel. he was going to paint it, clean up all the accy and hang it on the wall as art. it was nice to see it go to someone who knew what it was but would have been even better to see it go to someone who would use it in a truck.
Attached Images

dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote