The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2022, 04:52 PM   #1
jeff74

Fuel pressure

I thought I had a float height problem, but then was reading about some new pumps putting out too much pressure. I wish I had checked this before I pulled the carb apart

The old Q-jet doesn't like it..
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2022, 04:57 PM   #2
72SB

Re: Fuel pressure

..ah no it would not. Typical mechanical FP would put out around 4-6. What pump do you have?

You could get a FPR but I have never needed one on any SBC with standard FP. I have a Carter.
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 05:06 PM   #3
jeff74

I believe it's a delphi mf0001
Old 11-22-2022, 02:24 AM   #4
jumpsoffrock

I run a single barrel Holley on an old Ford truck and have had no issues in the last 12 years with flooding as a result of an over filled fuel bowl as a result of excessive fuel pressure.

To make a ridiculously long story short, I started having a problem but it wasn't such a problem that the truck wasn't running, or spilling gas everywhere.

Then the problem got worse. Most people said I needed 1.5-3 pounds pressure. I measured 7 from the mech pump. Set flaot height 10 times. No help
$55 and a trip to Autozone got me a FPR and issue completely gone.

Now I know.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 01:30 PM   #5
jeff74

Yeah, I don't know if I should try another pump, or look into a regulator. I found a spec sheet for the carter pump which says 7.5 - 9 psi, which I don't think will help
Old 11-22-2022, 06:52 PM   #6
jumpsoffrock

I don't like telling people how to spend their money, but a regulator makes more sense since it can be used for any pump you apply.
Old 11-22-2022, 07:10 PM   #7
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

My ac delco nos did 9lbs caused all kinds of grief
Old 11-22-2022, 09:57 PM   #8
jeff74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsoffrock View Post
I don't like telling people how to spend their money, but a regulator makes more sense since it can be used for any pump you apply.
Yeah, I'm picking up what you're laying down..

I messed with it a bit today, I have a return tee just before the carb...I drilled the orifice to 100 thou and that helps. It now reads 5 to 6 psi at the carb with the engine revved up. But I understand that this isn't optimal because there are variables that can change..

It was nice to run it without gas pooling on top of the intake , though
Old 11-22-2022, 11:19 PM   #9
67 twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsoffrock View Post
No. What would make more sense is the manufacturer actually make a pump that meets spec. These trucks didn't need fuel pressure regulators for the first 50 years of life, why the hell would it need one now.
I had this problem with a new pump when I installed a 292 in my truck. Flooded like an SOB found out the new pump was putting out double the pressure of spec. Took it back & put the pump from the 250 on it instead. No problem since.
I personally would try a different pump. Using a pressure regulator to "fix" the problem is like shooting yourself in the foot & then saying everything is alright by putting a band aid on it.
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 11:06 AM   #10
jumpsoffrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 twins View Post
No. What would make more sense is the manufacturer actually make a pump that meets spec. These trucks didn't need fuel pressure regulators for the first 50 years of life, why the hell would it need one now.
I had this problem with a new pump when I installed a 292 in my truck. Flooded like an SOB found out the new pump was putting out double the pressure of spec. Took it back & put the pump from the 250 on it instead. No problem since.
I personally would try a different pump. Using a pressure regulator to "fix" the problem is like shooting yourself in the foot & then saying everything is alright by putting a band aid on it.
.....and my reply is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
My ac delco nos did 9lbs caused all kinds of grief

twins, I totally understand that the manufacturers need to get their crap together and make a better product, but I also don't think there is a chance in Heck that that is going to happen.

I don't want to start an argument, but I actually think your logic is backwards: If you keep buying more pumps, there's a chance that they might also be poorly regulated and you'll have spent all that time shooting yourself in the foot and getting nowhere(potentially). If you get a regulator, that's the end of it. Band aid? Regulators don't need to be replaced ever 2-4 days. If I get 5 years out of my $55, I'm, happy. Oil changes--with the stuff I use) cost about that and I do it 3-4 times a year on my daily driver.

Nonetheless a regulator would make any pump work, whether the pump is build to spec or not. I don't consider that a band aid or shooting ones self in the foot. But yes I agree a lot of pumps are way out of spec.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:24 AM   #11
72SB

This is the $17 Carter I have. Spec says its 7psi...My edelbrock carb says 6.5psi. Have had zero issues with the Carter FP

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-m4685#overview

If your front block does not have the short 3/8" bolt you remove to then use a longer one to hold up the FP push rod so it does not drop when you pull FP...then use a glob of grease to hold it up to then put FP in. You will need the gasket for the FP mounting plate also as that has to come off to allow you to lift the PR up into the block once it drops when pulling FP. Easier if cam lobe is on base circle to swap a FP so the spring pressure of FP lever is less
Old 11-23-2022, 12:04 PM   #12
geezer#99

Here’s what I learned years ago.
Inside diameter of fuel line doesn’t need to be 3/8 inch from the pump to the carb.
Less than 5/16 is adequate.
Pressure is controlled by small inside diameter plus a couple bends in the line.
Check out this cross ram for fuel lines.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...9-camaro-ever/
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 04:20 PM   #13
CastIron

If you're running a stock carb, intake, and fuel pump it should all work together. with no additional parts. Something is giving it too much fuel pressure, which could be the pump or it could be a restriction in the fuel return line.

I run an OEM-replacement Carter fuel pump with an Edelbrock Performer carburetor (got used, rebuilt and switched the jets & needles myself) and mine runs very well. But I also use an Edelbrock heat insulating gasket to prevent hot-soak problems. Without the gasket, it would occasionally crank for a bit before starting hot. And for the record, I use a 5/16" fuel line and it's a basic 350 crate engine.
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 06:02 PM   #14
LNP

If you do have a Delphi MF0001 fuel pump its rated at 5psi. You sure your test gauge works good? If it does I would just figure your pump
is defected.

1969 Chevy C-10 Long Bed, 350cid, 700R4
LNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 06:40 PM   #15
72SB

FWIW GM used 2 sizes of fuel lines. 6 cyl and 2 brl v8 used 5/16" and 4 brl V8 used 3/8"

FP are made in both fitting sizes with the 3/8 one providing more GPH than the 5/16" pump
Old 11-23-2022, 10:19 PM   #16
jeff74

Thanks for the input guys,

Yeah, I noticed that some pumps have a smaller output fitting.

I'm not sure if that gauge is super accurate, I'll see if I can check it against something else, but with the way it was acting I'd guess it's pretty close. I have a new needle and seat and float.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:44 PM   #17
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff74 View Post
Thanks for the input guys,

Yeah, I noticed that some pumps have a smaller output fitting.

I'm not sure if that gauge is super accurate, I'll see if I can check it against something else, but with the way it was acting I'd guess it's pretty close. I have a new needle and seat and float.
I used a mr gasket dial a regulator to check if the was in fact the problem.
Then put a holley regulator to get the pressure under the needle and seat.
Old 11-26-2022, 07:58 PM   #18
1967GMCC20

Checked mine, 7psi on BBC. Stock AC pump.
1967GMCC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 08:24 PM   #19
JEM Motorworks

I just went through the same BS! Got a Napa pump ($38) and it wouldn’t prime or pump, squeezed the rubber line on the pressure side and fuel dripped out the weep hole. Replaced it with another Napa pump and it flooded the Q-jet. Checked the pressure and it bounced between 15-20psi! Ordered a Delphi off Amazon ($17) put the pressure gauge on it, it’s a smooth 7.5 psi. No issues. Unfortunately I’m afraid it’s luck of the draw with parts manufacturers today.
JEM Motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 08:27 PM   #20
1967GMCC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM Motorworks View Post
I just went through the same BS! Got a Napa pump ($38) and it wouldn’t prime or pump, squeezed the rubber line on the pressure side and fuel dripped out the weep hole. Replaced it with another Napa pump and it flooded the Q-jet. Checked the pressure and it bounced between 15-20psi! Ordered a Delphi off Amazon ($17) put the pressure gauge on it, it’s a smooth 7.5 psi. No issues. Unfortunately I’m afraid it’s luck of the draw with parts manufacturers today.
Thats rough.....
1967GMCC20 is offline   Reply With Quote