The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2006, 07:39 PM   #51
byrd
Union Electrician

Re: My build up thread 67 small window short/fleet

Got a little further this weekend I finished up the install of the fuel cell and bent up a piece of 3/8" stainless line to reach the cell and a 8-10" piece of fuel hose to get to the supply side. I went out to the barn and brought up my supernice metal floor I picked up about a year ago now for jtmiller, a fellow member. I made a another trip and got the bedsides and the
front panel brought up to the shop for some trial fitting and to work out the feul filler details. I went to the local hardware store and picked up a bunch of 3/8" and 5/16" carriage bolts, nuts, and washers to use for trial fitting, I will be using polished stainless button heads bolts for the final product. THe pieces went together fairly well, but I do have work still to do as I could get 3 or 4 of the bolts in. The PS bedside is absolutely perfect dead on, but the DS is the one that needs the tweeking, but over all the Goodmark parts are a nice fit. I haven't squared the bed or anything yet just go as many bolts as I could in it, and it measures off about a 1/2" cross corners, but from side to side it is really close a little tweaking and it will fit really nicely.

I will be useing the stake pocket fill like John Frabris's FAQ and have got the filler cap ordered and will try to get it worked out this week sometime.I gave it a glance today and it looks like it may be a little easier for me because of where my filler inlet in the tank is. It is alot closer to the rear of the truck than the blazer tank and should have almost no bend in it from the stake pocket to the tank inlet.

In the last pic I put a small red circle around what is not really visible but it is the center seat from a set of buddy buckets I got them from gmcjon a member in kansas. He was kind enough to get the seat up to teeitups house for another fellow member Huck who was on his way back from vacation and lives about an hour from me picked the seat up for me and brought it on home.What A GUY I went out and picked the seat up Saturday morning and I'm very pleased with the seats and will look great in the truck at some point They were already apart for shipping and double wrapped in heavy plastic by gmcjon, (THANK YOU!! for doing that the seats made it without a scratch) so I don't have any pics of the seat yet.

I want to again thank all the board members involved in getting my seat to me safe and sound, Huck, Teeitup, and Gmcjon, oh I almost forgot Teeitups brother for meeting up with Huck and teeitup's boy was sick.This type of help and comraddery(sp) is what this board is all about,and can't thank you guys enough Sorry for the long post Now here are some pics
Attached Images

Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:57 PM   #52
byrd
Union Electrician

Last pic
Attached Images

Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
Old 10-16-2006, 08:41 PM   #53
84 400
Sb 400 club

once again nice work byrd
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:17 AM   #54
OhioDan

Thumbs up Re: My build up thread 67 small window short/fleet

Randy, trucks lookin' good. I guess by the progress on Frank, you haven't tried the patch piece I dropped off to ya? Thanx for the parts. Will be able to finish radio install now. Great meeting you. Wish we woulda had more time to BS? Maybe sometime you can come this way with Huck? Still got a couple of schools to attend down your way. Will catch up to ya then?

Later,

Dan

LIFE AIN'T EASY WHEN YER FAT AND GREASY!
GMC= Got More Class!
1970 GMC LWB, Fleetside, 350/4spd, Flowmaster "40's", 2002 GMC 16" Rallies, cowl hood,and added a bunch of options that weren't there when I started.
OhioDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:43 AM   #55
krue
Designated A-hole!

It's looking better by the day.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:04 AM   #56
byrd
Union Electrician

Dan,
No that is for my driver and it is in the perpetiual awaiting restoration
I believe the patch panel will work just fine, just needs a little sectioning to line up right. Thank you again for bringing it down with you. Please do holler at me when you come back down for school!!
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-17-2006, 07:51 AM   #57
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

That is coming together real nice. I need to get back on mine (stupid work).

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:27 AM   #58
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Cool to see the parts get to you through the hands of numerous boardmembers. I've met gmcjon and teeitup and they are great people. Keep at the project!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:53 PM   #59
byrd
Union Electrician

Got a little more done yesterday and today. I got all new brake parts, calipers, ceramic pads , turned the rotors, new bearings races, grease seal, and new cotter pins. For the the rear I got new wheel cylinders, new shoes and spring kits, turned the drums. I also got the new stainless e-brake cables installed while I was at it. I pulled the hoghead to replace both axel seals and drained the fluid and also check the ratio. I found the truck has 3.07 gears in it. I blasted the brum backing plates, drums, and the front dust shields, and painted them flat black high temp and they turned out nice.I will have the rear done tomorrow, I had to wait on an ebrake spring, the PO had the wrong spring on it.

I got the stainless pop up style filler neck today and I knocked out the little piece of metal down in the DS stake pocket. Smashed my thumb while knocking that piece of metal out

I went by the machine shop building the motor and was informed the heads were shot of the motor and I needed to replace them it only broght the total up another $50 to right, plus another $35 for the cam upgrade, bringing the total to $1250. It should be ready by the middle of next week and I can get started on getting the intake on and ready for paint. I'm going to base/ high temp clear the engine and possibly the tranny too.I have a buddy who is doing it for me a return favor for an electrical job I did for him a while back.

A few pics....
Attached Images

Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-19-2006, 06:05 AM   #60
watahyahknow

good reason to try to get some vortec heads now (you need another manifold for it though )

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts

Last edited by watahyahknow; 10-19-2006 at 06:06 AM.
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:57 PM   #61
byrd
Union Electrician

Got a little more done over the past week or so. Got the rear shock relocator brackets installed, still need to put rear shocks on, also go the front shocks on I used doetch tech(sp) drop shocks for better ride and handling. Got the DS rear stake pocket enlarged a little and cut down the filler I bought and got them close for now, still need to finish it up. I went and picked up the motor last Thursday, installed the intake after picking it up form the sand blaster, got the motor taped up, prepped and painted with Plastic coat high temp paint.NO dice on the bc/cc as he was afaid it would peel from DD. Peeled the tape off and put in the oil pump,pump rod(bought a all metal rod to replace the stock plastic one ) pickup tube, oil pan on , dizzy in and started working on getting the 89 burb serpt set up bolted on and into place. I had the brackets sand blasted and painted them with the same high temp paint so it will all match well.I just set the carb, valve covers and breather in place just to see what it will look like when readt to go.I'm likin' it!!!! Tell me what you think
I drove my 69 in my avatar to pick up the tranny from Bowtie overdrives yesterday at a local trucking terminal. Fresh 200r4 with a 1800 stall and complete install and TV made easy kit, and torque converter lock up kit. A guy at the trucking terminal asked me if that was my 69 in the parking lot, and when I said yes, he then wanted to know what I wanted for my truck, and was shocked when I, without hesitation said," it's not for sale". I guessed he wasn't used to hearing that I hope to get the tranny out and painted this week so to trial fit it to have a drive shaft made for it. I am going to paint it the same high temp color black as the motor.

I did find out that the headers I have will not work with the heads. The headers have round holes and the heads are squared. and also the alt I have will need to be swapped out for a newer style to fit the brackets.

Here are a few pics
Attached Images

Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-02-2006, 11:39 AM   #62
wibilly

she's coming along very nicly, great job
Old 11-02-2006, 01:41 PM   #63
67chevemall

good stuff! Way to go.
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:49 PM   #64
Boise69
The Hammer Man

You are motivating me for sure!

I'm just a bit nervous to tear into her. Can one but the cab cart or just have it made. I'm not a good welder but i do have someone in my shop that can.
Boise69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:05 AM   #65
byrd
Union Electrician

More progress!! I finished up the serpentine belt set up and had to add a bolt hole in the pass side head for the bracket. Got all the water, and PS pump and pulleys on as well as the A/C compressor, new belt and new idler and tensioner pulleys. I have ordered the alt and it will be here Tuesday and that will complete that part. I will have to rework the fule line some, maybe with some braided flex because the serp bracket is in the way of the fuel lines normal path.
Got the motor and tranny bolted together with a new high torque mini starter and tried to use the headers seen in the pics but the driver side is not going to work Took the driver side header off and the motor and tranny dropped right in. I then had to set the new crossmember up for the tranny and drill the new mounting holes for it, and got the tranny bolted down to it with a energy suspention poly mount made for the new crossmember. Installed the tranny cooler lines on the tranny and put in the TV cable.
I tried to finish up the E-brake cables but ran out of time and will work on it some more this weekend.

With the weight of the motor and tranny in, I'm really digdin' the stance
Her are a few pics of the progress..
Attached Images

Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by byrd; 11-11-2006 at 02:06 AM.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:36 AM   #66
CAL 58 GMC

Everythings really looking good! I can tell you have done a lot of work since the start.

Last edited by CAL 58 GMC; 11-11-2006 at 02:37 AM.
CAL 58 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:51 AM   #67
sixty8c10
MY EX DRIVES A BROOM

lookin good, keep it up

Building Nemo -1968 C10 Long Bed

FRED -1947 KB-2 International
sixty8c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:49 AM   #68
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

The cabless truck. I had one of those too.

It looks good. Progressing along very nicely.

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:20 AM   #69
byrd
Union Electrician

Thanks guys for the words of encouragment!! It means a lot!!

Looking for a set of 3/4 length ceramic coated headers that will fit, any help is appreciated
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-19-2006, 10:24 AM   #70
byrd
Union Electrician

I picked up a cab(almost totally rust free, literally) from Montana that Huck a fellow board member turned me on to. Bill another member here in Ky brought this cab back and had it for sale. Huck contacted me and I got in touch with Bill and the deal was made. This should make the restoration a lot easier as the cab I had before was pretty rough(see pics in earlier post)I brought the cab home yesterday and got it into the shop for a photo op.Huck was also very helpfull in giving me a 1 1/2" yoke that I needed for my 200r4 to get the driveshaft work done and complete the driveline.Hopefully in the next two weeks I will be able to get the bodyguy started on the cab and keep the restoration moving along. The cab will only need maybe a rocker and a little on the kicks panels, but other than that is is rust free, all cab supports, cab corners, winshield area, visor area, and floor pans are rust free and in great shape.
Thanks again Huck for the help and the heads up!!!
Here are a few pics of the cab..
Attached Images

Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by byrd; 11-19-2006 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:26 AM   #71
byrd
Union Electrician

few more pics, there is a little damage to the PS drip rail ,somebody before Bill and I must have tried to pick the cab up with a strap and pulled it loose, shouldn't be hard to fix.
Attached Images

Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by byrd; 11-19-2006 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:43 AM   #72
84 400
Sb 400 club

looking great and that is gonna be one killer rolling tribute when done. great work!!!
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:49 AM   #73
byrd
Union Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 400 View Post
looking great and that is gonna be one killer rolling tribute when done. great work!!!
Thanks a bunch!! I hope to be driving it by late spring, or summer. I believe me getting this cab will help make that goal possible
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-19-2006, 12:53 PM   #74
liquiddragon

those rims are from a late 70's early 80's corvette just so you know. here is a picture of what they look like polished and with the red stripe on them. BTW cool build and i am hopping to have a 67-72 SWB really soon sense i might have someone that wants to trade for my corvette (not the one in the picture)

Last edited by liquiddragon; 11-19-2006 at 12:58 PM.
liquiddragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:33 PM   #75
smbrouss70

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquiddragon View Post
those rims are from a late 70's early 80's corvette just so you know.
Close, but no cigar! The "slots" on the vette wheels are smaller than Byrd's wheels, not to mention that a vette wheel has a different bolt pattern than our trucks. Although, I agree that Byrd's wheels would look great polished.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote