The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2021, 09:40 AM   #1
nikwho

What head gaskets for aluminum heads?

Hey all,
Got a new set of Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads. I'm pretty stoked for the swap, but I am trying to figure out what head gaskets to use. From my recollection, I need a pre-flattened copper wire gasket, but there's about 5,000 different options! I'd like to find one close to my 4.040" bore, where-as a lot of them are up in the 4.200" range! Trying not to give up any extra compression.

Thoughts? I seem to remember wanting a Fel-Pro gasket set ending in a 4. Just cannot remember the part number that I've ordered in the past.

Thanks,
Nik
Old 10-28-2021, 06:55 PM   #2
cadillac_al

Re: What head gaskets for aluminum heads?

I don't know a part number but aluminum heads usually use a composite gasket around .040 thick.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:48 PM   #3
burnin oil

Al is spot on. You need a gasket that doesn't have exposed metal. The issue here is that, like al said, they are all in the 40 range. This requires a zero deck or slightly protruding piston for ultimate quench. Check your short block piston depth at TDC and valve clearance. Valve clearance is number 1. If that is good determine the the thinnest gasket possible that gets you close to 32 thousandths for best quench. Odds are that you are on the positive side of the number and have to rely on good head design and timing curve to run pump gas. The higher the static compression the more you have to worry. If you need a really thin gasket you can add a coating to a steal shim gasket. There are spray on or paint on alternatives that can help. Essentially you add an aluminum or copper layer to the head gasket to protect the block and head from galvanic deteriation. These work well but require a near perfect head and block surface. For mild performance motors I have had good luck with felpro permatorque gaskets but they are a little thick for optimal quench. Playing with summits filters should net you a head gasket that works. Just be warned that it might be expensive!!!
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:33 PM   #4
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Felpro #1010, is what i used on my old 383 stroker(Edelbrock heads). They are said to have copper fire rings for the aluminum heads ...., .039 thick, with a 4.166 gasket bore(350/4inch bore size fit). These may not offer the optimum quench, depending on how far your slugs are are down the hole. Mine was decked.....not flat to the top on the pistons, but no issues. You might find a thinner set of gaskets, to optimize the quench.....but do go for the copper rings on the aluminum heads to cut down on the brinell. best of fun,Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:06 PM   #5
nikwho

Yeah, I actually went with the Felpro 1010 gaskets, too! I appreciate it!