The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2021, 12:32 AM   #1
AcampoDave

Re-pop hubcap composition questions

I was reading our epic hubcap thread and it mentioned that the re-pops are chrome plated brass. Is that still the case? For around 68 bucks each I find it hard to believe that they are using brass. II was hoping to find them in stainless steel anyway for durability reasons. For you guys that have the re-pops, how do you like them? Has anyone found them in stainless? The vendors I found are rather brief with their descriptions.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:32 AM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Re-pop hubcap composition questions

Reading the add in this one say's stamped steel - https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...s/CT26720.html
The Truck Shop shows the back of them here, doesnt "look" brass but I'd call and ask. https://www.ebay.com/itm/12411993381...=&toolid=10050
Ya I find it a dubious statement that they're brass but maybe they're out there selling them someplace like that.
Brothers say's theirs is steel also - https://www.brotherstrucks.com/1964-...tinfo/HCC5C66/

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 11-30-2021 at 07:43 AM.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 01:52 PM   #3
VictoriaHardware

I have a set. They are not brass like the originals; they are steel. For the price I really can't complain about the overall look and functionality. The chrome is good quality. They fit well- easy to install & remove but have never popped off while driving. The obvious thing that everyone who knows these trucks points out is the bowtie. It is not the right shape. Until I find an excellent original set that I can afford, they will do just fine.
VictoriaHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:29 PM   #4
AcampoDave

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to save some dough and roll these mid 70's posers that I painted up.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2021, 09:03 PM   #5
AcampoDave

Ropop hubcaps are here. (Decided to go for it) The magnet test says....stainless. They are rather light but seem too shiny for aluminum. It looks like the appearance of the Chevy emblem has been improved too.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2021, 10:12 PM   #6
Chevy Fleetside

Repops. Have no idea if they are stainless or just steel. Next dog walk I can check with a magnet. They were $240 for the set so I don't set any high standards for that.
Attached Images

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 08:15 AM   #7
The Rocknrod

AcampoDave I think they look great. Thanks for the pic.
Old 12-21-2021, 11:15 AM   #8
60-66

Id be willing to bet the caps are Not Stainless . I have a friend trying to reproduce hubcaps for last 3 years that came original in stainless with no luck . The fact that the magnet doesn't stick tells me they are still brass. There were TWO vendors making these. The one I posted with the more correct size bowtie I can positively say IS brass as you can see its brass from the back , this manufacturer I knew personally and bought his remaining hubcap inventory before he retired . Theres always a spot that the chrome does not cover during the plating process . Also , at the time I wrote that thread , the grossly disproportioned bowtie 66 hubcap that is still available, I had in my possession, It had the same style brass spot under the chrome on the back . The picture that the one company shows of the back, now, looks painted silver which the earlier repros did not have. I cant tell you how many times I read "Stainless Steal Trim" when something is actually Aluminum. Personally , I would doubt the description that states "Stamped Steel" till I have one in my hand .
WANTED :1964-1966 PANEL TRUCK
60-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 11:30 AM   #9
AcampoDave

I do agree with you 60-66. After pulling the truck outdoors, I concluded that they are not stainless. It was apparent in the hue and lustre of the finish especially as compared to my aftermarket rearview mirror which I know to be stainless. The caps are simply too shiny and lack the more "golden" tone of stainless. They also snapped onto the wheel easily with a bit of flex or stretch which would be indicative of a softer metal than stainless steel. Also, although I couldn't see brass on the inside, daylight revealed the appearance of being sprayed with something as well as small strech marks in the metal.
Old 12-21-2021, 11:38 AM   #10
60-66

The hubcaps are, Chrome Plated, whereas the Stainless mirror is just polished stainless, giving you the different appearance . I guess you can chrome plate stainless , but why when it does polish up so nice. Interesting note , most all dog dish hubcaps were chrome plated brass on cars and trucks 1960-1969 with very few exceptions .
WANTED :1964-1966 PANEL TRUCK
60-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 12:20 PM   #11
The Rocknrod

Thanks 60-66 I learned something today.
Old 12-26-2021, 04:24 PM   #12
theastronaut

They're brass, I just went out into the shop and checked a set that were purchased around 12 years ago. You can see the brass, then copper, then chrome layering. These are the version that have the taller bowtie.

Another clue is that they oxidize like this over time but it cleans right off with Mothers polish. Stainless wouldn't do this, and chromed steel usually has pitting left behind when the metal underneath rusts, this polishes off 100%.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 09:03 PM   #13
itsnotbroken

Any lead on re-pops for GMC's?
itsnotbroken is offline   Reply With Quote