The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2021, 01:05 AM   #1
D-n-Tyke

Replacing upper windshield header panel.

Looks like replacing the header panel above the winshield might be in my future. It is rusted inside and out. Does anyone know of a video showing this being done? Or anyone know of some instructions on how to do it with pictures. Hoping to be able to do it with out having to remove the roof skin. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
D-n-Tyke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:22 AM   #2
Accelo

Re: Replacing upper windshield header panel.

D-nTyke
You have a major job that most attempt to avoid. If you have other rust issues you may consider replacing the cab? However ,if you tackle the job I would custom cut a dowel(s) the length between the upper and lower flanges. Any mistakes and your window will not fit. Sorry for stating the obvious. The design of the pinch weld is one of the Achilles heel of our mid year trucks. The trough captured even a small amount of water in the spot where it could do the most damage. The poor quality of the caulking was another contributing factory. When you are done use the two part epoxy caulking that is available now. The are available in self leveling and the more traditional type. It will last 10 times over the original caulking.

Last edited by Accelo; 06-10-2021 at 01:58 AM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:58 AM   #3
OL SKOOL

Re: Replacing upper windshield header panel.

I had to replace mine on this cab. My cab was on a cab stand and a lot easier to deal with but it could be done on frame. The 2nd pic you can see the spot welds along the upper windshield pinch weld. The replacement panel fits nice and not bad to fit. I don't have any pics of it apart but i used about 95% of the new panel. When i got it all apart glad i did pretty rusty all the way across the whole panel. I just put the new panel up on the header marked the outside of panel with a sharpie cut out a little smaller. Fit and grind till it fits ,weld and grind some more and more. The welding overhead is going to suck for sure. The best fitting aftermarket piece that i have found. Takes time but well worth it when done.
Attached Images

OL SKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote