The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2020, 09:31 PM   #1
jdriskill

A plan to make my '70 pretty(er)

Hi all,

I've been reading so much great information on this forum. Thank you to all that take the time to impart their wisdom. In my reading it became apparent that I needed a plan before I start painting this beast so I thought I'd lay it out here so you all can tell me what I'm missing and where my plan could be better.

The truck is running and driving and I'm going to miss cruising around in it, but she's loud inside the cab and the rest of the family doesn't love it so much! The plan is to put together a driver that I can still throw crap into the back of with out having a coronary. I want it to look nice, but not that nice, and make it comfortable for the family to ride around in.

Here's how she stands:
Name:  IMG_20190114_163749.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  45.5 KB
Can we get some long bed love?! It's a truck - more is more!

What I know I need to do:

+ remove the really crappy paint that is chalking off. My plan is to sand with 80 grit on the DA. Do I really need to go to bare metal or can I get away with leaving whatever is good from the original paint?

+ cab corners, rockers, inside roof on passenger side by windshield, and the driver's bed side all need to be replaced
Name:  PXL_20201203_235521464.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  28.5 KB
Not a good fix!
Name:  PXL_20201203_235514819.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  61.2 KB
Even more reason to replace the left bed side

+ Something has to be done around my drip rails in places. Is there a "pretty good" fix for this or am I in for a big job?
Name:  PXL_20201203_235427634.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  47.3 KB
Name:  PXL_20201203_235443031.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  36.6 KB

+ Giant dent in the passenger door from the hinge stop failing
+ Lots of holes in the floor and dash from various farm type "add ons" to be patched
+ Pretty big ding on the roof that needs to be pulled out.

I'm planning to work piece by piece starting with the hood which is in pretty good shape and move towards the parts that need more work once I have some sea legs. I'll disassemble, sand it down, do the body work and epoxy primer it. Then on to the fenders, doors, bed, and cab. I'll also get some paint on the frame while it's apart - what's a good choice for that?

Once all the pieces are ready I'm planning to reassemble and fit everything. Then I'll move it in the garage with the bed pulled back a bit and hit it with a couple of coats of high fill primer, block it, and paint it with BC/CC(or SS? seems to be some debate here over which is better for someone with VERY little painting experience) in a non-metallic light gray. Originally I was thinking of using some really cheap paint and I could probably still be talked back into that, but after much reading it seems like the general wisdom is to use something along the lines of PPG Omni. I am still very tempted by the reasonable pricing of Summit's paints though. Input please!

I guess that's about the size of it. What am I missing? I'd like to get this done in a reasonable time frame (duh) but not rush it and seeing how we're going to be at home a bit more now here in California I'm thinking I could get a fair amount done in the next couple of months.
jdriskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:10 PM   #2
Sevens

Re: A plan to make my '70 pretty(er)

Some of that would be easier to replace vs repair.

I saw this on CL earlier today, looks like there are (some) decent parts and it's only about an hour away from you...

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/...227910841.html

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your progress on this! Best of luck!

'65 GMC that identifies as a Chevrolet
Sevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:46 PM   #3
lupo

Will you be able to weld pieces in ?
lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:49 PM   #4
lupo

Will you be able to weld pieces in?
Old 12-04-2020, 07:05 PM   #5
jdriskill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
Some of that would be easier to replace vs repair.

I saw this on CL earlier today, looks like there are (some) decent parts and it's only about an hour away from you...

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/...227910841.html

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your progress on this! Best of luck!
Thanks for this! I'm planning to replace a bunch of things and fix a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupo View Post
Will you be able to weld pieces in?
I hope so. I've done some welding and watched a lot of videos!
Old 12-04-2020, 11:05 PM   #6
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Not trying to rain on your parade..but welding thin sheetmetal is a whole different animal...I'd suggest grabbing some old fenders from a body shop and practicing before you commit to welding on the truck..
Anywhere you can use a copper backer it will help prevent burn thru...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:26 PM   #7
lupo

This is a great learning experience. Bodywork, you make a mistake, you do it over again until you're satisfied. There are a lot of great YouTube videos on body work and painting you can learn a lot from .
Old 12-06-2020, 05:25 PM   #8
72c20customcamper

Anything can be fixed . Once you open up that cab your going to find a lot more rot. It's like an iceberg 90% is unseen. Practice on some fenders to get the welding down, do you have access to a mig or tig?
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:40 PM   #9
jdriskill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Anything can be fixed . Once you open up that cab your going to find a lot more rot. It's like an iceberg 90% is unseen. Practice on some fenders to get the welding down, do you have access to a mig or tig?
I can believe that. mig welder is what I have. I definitely plan on practicing on some old parts I have before getting into the truck itself. Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:00 PM   #10
lupo

With restoration work you will always get some lumps, bumps, and bruises and a few burns. You know the old saying, Safety First .Well try to practice it as best you can
Old 12-07-2020, 08:49 PM   #11
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdriskill View Post
I can believe that. mig welder is what I have. I definitely plan on practicing on some old parts I have before getting into the truck itself. Thanks for the input everyone.
Use .24 wire low amps adjusting the feed to not burn thru. You using shielding gas or flux
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:40 PM   #12
lupo

A good auto darkening helmet and a pair of gloves is a good investment. If you turn the torch on a 45 degree angle you'll be able to see a little better.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:28 AM   #13
jdriskill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Use .24 wire low amps adjusting the feed to not burn thru. You using shielding gas or flux
I had read that somewhere so I have .24 wire already. Gas

Quote:
A good auto darkening helmet and a pair of gloves is a good investment. If you turn the torch on a 45 degree angle you'll be able to see a little better.
I have the auto darkening helmet and gloves. Didn't know about the 45 deg thing though. Definitely going to try that out.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:46 PM   #14
jdriskill

Finally bucked up my courage and took apart the front end today.

Name:  PXL_20201209_231816614.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  54.1 KB

Name:  PXL_20201209_231825271.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  61.3 KB

Name:  PXL_20201209_232007939.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  38.0 KB

Name:  PXL_20201209_232025383.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  39.6 KB

Name:  PXL_20201209_233542259.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  46.6 KB

In general I was really pleased. I didn't come across anything that made me think I was in big trouble. Especially with the cab, the vent pieces behind the fender actually don't look bad at all. A little bit of funk inside the right hand side vent area where all the leaves and dirt were, but not horrible. I only broke one bolt taking all the stuff off so I thought that was a real win.

The final tally of long lost extra parts that fell out after getting all these parts off: 16 washers, 6 nuts, 4 bolts, 1 screwdriver

I started sanding with the DA and 60. Boy, that's gonna take a long time to get through this white, probably not automotive paint much less to get it to bare metal.

Questions for today:

Do I really need to go to bare metal?
If so is there a better way to do it?
Can I get away with just sanding all of this with 60 then 120 and then epoxy?

Again, just a driver that will last a while, not a show truck or anything.

Thanks guys! Long road ahead, but at least I've started.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:12 PM   #15
lupo

It looks like you're in pretty good shape. There are Coatings designed for marginally prepared surfaces. Permanent rust sealer[ aluminum pigmented] is used on Bridges and has a 20-year service life. Clean it up best you can make sure you put a second coat of the Permanent rust sealer on it and then any kind of black topcoat you'd like over it.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:38 PM   #16
Dr Jekyll

Welcome to 70 LWB club!!! I started basically where you are. Taught my self how to weld, work that body, and paint while restoring my 70 (still learning really). There is so much information on the web you can learn anything you need. Just take your time and you will do fine.

As for going to bare metal. If the DA is taking the paint off easy, its flaking off, or not feathering on the edges, then I would take down to bare metal, as that is a sign of bad adhesion. My truck had a spray can primer on top of the original paint and I didnt take it to bare metal on all panels(most but not all). Inside the cab I just sanded to get a tooth to stick to. I knocked the primer off real quick and could tell the difference between what was bad adhesion, that I didnt want to paint on top of, and what was acceptable to me.

Get some sheet metal from HD or Lowes and practice your welds. Spot welds and butt welds are the most common. I like to test my practice pieces by taking them back apart. Your screw ups can be great learning experiences, not that your going to have any of those, right.

What color are you going with?

I love going to the home improvement store with an 8' bed. Good luck.
Dr Jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:31 PM   #17
jdriskill

Quote:
It looks like you're in pretty good shape. There are Coatings designed for marginally prepared surfaces. Permanent rust sealer[ aluminum pigmented] is used on Bridges and has a 20-year service life. Clean it up best you can make sure you put a second coat of the Permanent rust sealer on it and then any kind of black topcoat you'd like over it.
Cool. That makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekyll View Post
Welcome to 70 LWB club!!!
Yes my brother! Love me the long bed and you're right on about getting supplies in it. It's what a truck is for!

Quote:
As for going to bare metal. If the DA is taking the paint off easy, its flaking off, or not feathering on the edges, then I would take down to bare metal, as that is a sign of bad adhesion.
Great. I can definitely tell where it's sticking and where it isn't. That's going to be my plan.

Quote:
Get some sheet metal from HD or Lowes and practice your welds. Spot welds and butt welds are the most common. I like to test my practice pieces by taking them back apart. Your screw ups can be great learning experiences, not that your going to have any of those, right.

What color are you going with?
Will do on the sheet metal. Definitely gonna be screw ups! I'm going with a non-metallic light gray.

Thought of a few more questions:

On the inside of these pieces should I use something like CLR to get as much rust out as possible? Seems like sanding in there is going to be...ah...challenging. Or should I just do like lupo said and use a rusty metal primer in there without doing much?

Then once I have the insides cleaned up and primed I guess I'm going to top coat that with something other than my actual color for the rest of the truck. Maybe a low gloss black something? Suggestions?
Old 12-09-2020, 11:22 PM   #18
lupo

CLR is really lightweight stuff. Rust remover/ metal prep from restoration supply companies are much more aggressive and do the job much faster. When you get a good rust remover dump it down in all your welds. Cab corners , inside your doors , inside your rockers. A quality metal prep with zinc when you have your vehicle down to bare metal and you don't want to paint wipe a little rust remover prep on the panel and it'll stay rust-free for months in your shop.
Old 12-10-2020, 12:48 AM   #19
jdriskill

Quote:
CLR is really lightweight stuff. Rust remover/ metal prep from restoration supply companies are much more aggressive and do the job much faster. When you get a good rust remover dump it down in all your welds. Cab corners , inside your doors , inside your rockers. A quality metal prep with zinc when you have your vehicle down to bare metal and you don't want to paint wipe a little rust remover prep on the panel and it'll stay rust-free for months in your shop.
Great info. Thanks
Old 12-10-2020, 08:13 PM   #20
jdriskill

I discovered today that I can scrape the white paint off fairly easily with a scraper:

Name:  PXL_20201210_235919604.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  49.0 KB

I'm guessing that means that I need to scrape it off because it didn't really adhere to the layer beneath. Or am I wrong and will the primer "glue" this down as long as I can sand it to look like this?

Name:  PXL_20201210_235928549.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  45.5 KB

I don't want to create more work for myself if I don't need to do this, but it seems like it probably needs to come off. I checked several places around the truck and it scrapes off easily everywhere.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:45 PM   #21
mongocanfly
Post Whore

If it scrapes off easy, then it needs removed...get it down to goodly adhered paint or bare metal...my preference is bare metal...then get some epoxy primer on it

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:35 PM   #22
lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
If it scrapes off easy, then it needs removed...get it down to goodly adhered paint or bare metal...my preference is bare metal...then get some epoxy primer on it
I agree to get the white off and as much as the green base paint as possible. I don't agree about using an epoxy primer over it. The reason being epoxy primer does 700 hours of salt spray urethane primers do 8000 hours salt spray ,better suited for a surface such as this one. Permanent rust sealer / surfacer are better suited for going over old paint and in some cases rusted surfaces because it deprives the surface of oxygen and moisture. After two coats of urethane sealer then comes the epoxy surfacer then the color coat. These vehicles done properly, you can drive for the next 30 Years. I did a 55 Chevy like this in 2006 and it's still show quality.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:05 PM   #23
Dr Jekyll

The white paint is flaky. Once you get that off you can evaluate the green, it seems to be holding up better to the scraps. probably won’t take too much longer to take it to bare metal if your using 60- 80 grit, especially on the flat panels. For door jams, drip rail, and fire wall I like to sand blast. You can get a 20-25 gallon blaster pretty cheap at harbor freight. Play sand from HD works well as a media if you strain the pebbles out. Keep the blaster away from larger flat panels like your hood because they can warp metal. If it’s thicker sheet metal like a cab floor support or has Intricate bends like door jams you can blast it, saves a lot of time rather than trying to sand in hard to reach areas.

Last edited by Dr Jekyll; 12-11-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:43 PM   #24
72c20customcamper

Quote:
The white paint is flaky. Once you get that off you can evaluate the green, it seems to be holding up better to the scraps. probably won’t take too much longer to take it to bare metal if your using 60- 80 grit, especially on the flat panels. For door jams, drip rail, and fire wall I like to sand blast. You can get a 20-25 gallon blaster pretty cheap at harbor freight. Play sand from HD works well as a media if you strain the pebbles out. Keep the blaster away from larger flat panels like your hood because they can warp metal. If it’s thicker sheet metal like a cab floor support or has Intricate bends like door jams you can blast it, saves a lot of time rather than trying to sand in hard to reach areas.
Never use play sand or any sand in a blaster. Use blasting media made for that purpose, sand is silica based upwards of 90% so unless you have a great filtration system not just a mask but pure filtered air you will inhale some as will everyone down wind of your blasting . Why take the risk when black beauty is like 8 bucks and contains far less than 1% free silica.

A lot of people say they sell it in the store for kids to play in so it must be safe . Sure it's safe in its unaltered state. But once you use it in a blaster you are cracking down the grains to powder that will stay on you and everything around you for a while. Ever look at the plume around guys using a blaster? To save 40 or 50 bucks isnt worth it .
https://www.precisionfinishinginc.co...-a-sandblaster

I use black beauty and grushed glass for blasting .
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 12-11-2020 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:34 PM   #25
Dr Jekyll

This is what I use. https://www.amazon.com/Hobbyair-Supp.../dp/B003973Q9S

Yeah, always use appropriate PPE. We are talking about painting with dangerous chemicals, and don’t stick your tongue in that light socket. You can use sand as a blasting media people do it safely everyday.