The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #1
kuch72

Wiring Harness Options (Classic Update Kit)

I am going to completely rewire my truck with a new wiring harness and I don't know what to pick.

I can get a Classic Update wiring harness from AAW. I just have a couple questions. Maybe I should ask AAW, but there they are.

Is this the whole truck harness? Can I use HEI? Do I have to assemble it? What about internally regulated alternator?

I could also buy individual harnesses from M&H or AAW. These harnesses cost around $700 or so when you get the HEI and other features added.

Who has used this kit? Did you like it?

Thanks,
Nate
kuch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:24 PM   #2
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: Wiring Harness Options (Classic Update Kit)

All of your questions are answered here:

http://www.americanautowire.com/view...evrolet-truck/

Quote:
Classic Update Series Wiring Kit
1.Replacement headlight switch with internal circuit breaker included. Retention collar nut, adjustable length shaft, and custom knob are also included. Extra connectors and instructions are supplied for installation of original headlight switches.
2.Standard turn signal flasher, hazard flasher, and horn relay mounted on fuse panel.
3.Fuse box designed to fit in original location. All required hardware supplied. Location selected for easy accessibility and clearance of under dash accessories such as all gauge packages, wiper systems, heating and air conditioning systems, and stock original or aftermarket GM tilt steering columns.
4.Original switch connector bodies! (Exclusive to American Autowire)
5.Steering column connectors will plug directly into most aftermarket steering columns as well as 1969 and later GM columns which utilize stock GM turn signal switches. The original column can also be wired by using the supplied mating connector and terminals.
6.Along with wiring for your original dome/interior lighting we have included separate under dash light sockets.
7.Instrument Cluster wiring is designed with a “cluster harness disconnect” system for easy service and assembly. All original terminals, connectors, and light sockets are also supplied for original cluster gauges. However, the best aspect to the disconnect system is that any gauge cluster package can be easily and neatly wired in. This includes AUTOMETER, CLASSIC INSTRUMENTS, DAKOTA DIGITAL, STEWART WARNER, and VDO, just to name a few.
8.Rear body harness assembly is designed to plug into the main harness in the original position utilizing existing retainers. Flexibility in harness design allows for original or custom routing. Both pickup and suburban models are accommodated. Rear body wiring includes backup light wires and mating connectors for backup light leads. License plate lead, connectors, and terminals included. Fuel tank sender wire and terminal included. Leads and terminals included for jamb switches and dome light.
9.New floor dimmer switch is provided. Wire length and connection accommodate original floor mount dimmer switch.
10.EXCLUSIVE! GM bulkhead connectors for the engine and front light wiring are included and ready for easy installation. Original or custom routing of the new harness is no problem!
11.Engine wiring includes connectors for points type and H.E.I. distributors. Power and tach connectors supplied for GM H.E.I. distributors. Alternator connectors are supplied for GM “SI” series internal regulated and all “one wire”alternators. GM “CS” series alternator connector available separately.
12.Front lighting includes extra long leads for special routing when custom under hood appearance is desired. All headlight, park light, and directional light connectors and terminals are provided, as well as a switched trigger wire for electric fan relay (usually recommended with AC).
13.Color schematics and easy to understand installation instructions included.
Also, plug the part number into google or ebay. You should be able to get it for around $470 with no tax or shipping

I have purchased their classic update series for my 67, but it's still in the box. Looks like a great complete kit. Comes with all the connectors, etc.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #3
kuch72

Ok, now I feel dumb. So I guess the next question is, is there any reason not to go with this harness? Is the only issue the fact that it's not "factory correct"?

Last edited by kuch72; 12-22-2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: spelling
kuch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

It's not factory correct, but it looks pretty dang close.

Don't feel dumb. I've bought a lot of stuff that looked great that sucked, and a lot of people here have helped others steer away from those, or helped find a better alternative. I've also read good reviews on the M&H one as well.

I bought my harness based on A LOT of positive reviews on here. Again, my AAW Harness is still in the box, but it looks a lot easier to install than say, a painless kit, that has NO connectors on it.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #5
1stchevy

I just bought the AAW classic update kit from Matt's Classic Bowties, they are a supporting member here and have great prices. He has a thread about AAW products in the vendors section.
1stchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:28 PM   #6
Kennuck

I'm installing one right now. I have an LS engine so the added circuits for VSS, Fuel Pump, Electric fans, PCM power etc. is very useful. All the common connectors are already installed, Ign switch, headlight switch, wiper switch, dimmer, horn relay and the list goes on. It comes with all the different harnesses except the A/C harness. Depending on your turn signal harness you may have to put a new connector on your turn signal harness on your column. All these connectors come with it and the instructions are very clear and easy to understand.

It's a great kit.
3:73 gears, Boyd's Tank
2.5 / 4 drop 5 lug disc brakes
Vintage Air
18x8 Ridlers 255/55 frt. 18x9.5 275/60 rear
Kennuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #7
Lee H

I used it, it's a great product. I highly recommend it. I recommend going to the AAW site and reviewing the crimping video before you start installing if you go this route.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #8
leddzepp

You can't go wrong with AAW or M and H.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
ElKotze

I also used the AAW kit for my '68 and it is a very good product. It comes with all the wiring and connectors you will need and more. The instructions will guide you through the installation step by step and are easy to understand. I can recommend it. Plus , you can use the instructions and diagrams for trouble shooting later on down the road !
ElKotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #10
s102000

I'm wanting to only replace the rear lights harness tail / brake with a 4 wire trailer hook up included. I've search a few sites but can't seem to run across anything. Any help would be appreciated.
s102000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #11
Kennuck

Call American Autowire 1-800-482-9473 they can help you.
3:73 gears, Boyd's Tank
2.5 / 4 drop 5 lug disc brakes
Vintage Air
18x8 Ridlers 255/55 frt. 18x9.5 275/60 rear
Kennuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #12
csfields

I just installed a AAW kit and I loved it. It was so simple it made me want to wire another truck. I do recommend while you are waiting for it to come in, is to go ahead and download all the instructions from there website and get to know it and mark out what you won't need and do need, that way there is no guess work. It has plenty of options, so enjoy.

71 Chevy C-10 SWB 350/400 PS, PB
The Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=584045

The Brake Upgrade http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=695699
csfields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:43 PM   #13
Pick121

Old thread hope somebody is listening!
Do the wire colors in AAW Classic Update kit match our truck wire colors?
THis would be for my 1964 C10
Pick121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:33 AM   #14
my kids toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick121 View Post
Old thread hope somebody is listening!
Do the wire colors in AAW Classic Update kit match our truck wire colors?
THis would be for my 1964 C10
click the link and on the right side is instructions that shows colors of wires so you can compare to what you need.
https://www.americanautowire.com/sho...66-chevy-truck
my kids toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:30 AM   #15
68 P.O.S.

Another up vote for AAW or M&H. I've used both, as well as a Painless kit, and they all were great kits.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:22 AM   #16
Pick121

Quote:
Originally Posted by my kids toy View Post
click the link and on the right side is instructions that shows colors of wires so you can compare to what you need.
https://www.americanautowire.com/sho...66-chevy-truck
mkt: Thanks for quick reply much appreciated. You should see the spaghetti the PO left me to sort out! It would be one thing if everything worked...
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2021, 03:43 AM   #17
Accelo

I have the Classic Update Kit.
If your truck is stock it would be better/easier to purchase the OEM matching harness.
To install the Classic Update Kit you will need a special crimping tool that folds the ends of the connectors in like the factory did. They are not the cheap ones at the auto parts stores.
The Colors seem to match the factory colors.
Typically one end of the harness is finished and you have to to the rest. No it's not that difficult but is sure is time consuming.
I would recommend it if you are modify your truck like installing an LS motor our moving the gas tank. Also includes some niceties like a wire to convert your cargo light into a third back up lamp.
Yes, wiring for the whole truck in included.
I believe it is set up for a HEI. (only difference is no resister wire needed for the HEI)
Do I have to assemble it? Yes some assembly is required. Actually quit a bit.
What about internally regulated alternator? This I don't know about. I suspect it is customizable but I haven't opened the engine harness yet.
Cheers.
Rick

Last edited by Accelo; 02-18-2021 at 03:49 AM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:04 PM   #18
Pick121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
I have the Classic Update Kit.
If your truck is stock it would be better/easier to purchase the OEM matching harness.
To install the Classic Update Kit you will need a special crimping tool that folds the ends of the connectors in like the factory did. They are not the cheap ones at the auto parts stores.
The Colors seem to match the factory colors.
Typically one end of the harness is finished and you have to to the rest. No it's not that difficult but is sure is time consuming.
I would recommend it if you are modify your truck like installing an LS motor our moving the gas tank. Also includes some niceties like a wire to convert your cargo light into a third back up lamp.
Yes, wiring for the whole truck in included.
I believe it is set up for a HEI. (only difference is no resister wire needed for the HEI)
Do I have to assemble it? Yes some assembly is required. Actually quit a bit.
What about internally regulated alternator? This I don't know about. I suspect it is customizable but I haven't opened the engine harness yet.
Cheers.
Rick
Hi, unfortunately there are a few mods, the PO installed a 350 V8 crate engine with alternator, DUI Street-Strip distributor, electric engine fan, and I do plan to relocate the fuel tank to under bed (keep mechanical fuel pump), but my understanding that electrically it is just running a longer wire to the back (and ground it). However I plan to keep mostly stock so for cost maybe I will look into the stock harnesses, and just customize the necessary wiring for the engine needs. That AAW kit is pricey along with the crimper! Thanks for the advice
Old 10-11-2021, 10:23 PM   #19
4thedogs

What would you pay to have a shop wire your truck? I just was given a (to me) ridiculous $ amount to have it done $5-7K for a 67 with a crate 350 and efi, power brakes and steering everything else is stock.
4thedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:41 AM   #20
BigBird05

That sounds like a "I don't want to do it" price. I've given those out before when the customer wouldn't take no for an answer.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:46 AM   #21
4thedogs

The funny thing is, I talked about wanting to have it done. And was debating between myself and having him do it. And I've sat on this for 2 years. He did my power steering and power disc brake conversion. He contacted me just recently. Asking if I wanted to get it done he had time in his shop. I think I'm politely going to say no thank you. He talked about it being 60 labor hours. I think for me yes but for a rod shop that does this for a living I can see it being half of that.
4thedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:52 AM   #22
BigBird05

Being an experienced electrical mechanic, I would "estimate" between 8 and ten hours to replace the harness's. If they are plug and play. If you have to shorten wires, put on terminal and connectors that would make the time estimate go up.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:53 AM   #23
03BlkZ

I used the American autowire classic updat kit on my 70 and it was easy to Install. I did buy the crimper tools to help and as well as soldered all crimps to ensure good connections. There is plenty of extra length on all he wires to allow for your own custom routing. I have HEI and an internally regulated single wire alternator. Only thing is they don't support an ammeter connection due to risk of fire so I bought a voltage gauge from a member on the forum and it looks and works great. AAW is a great choice.
03BlkZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:27 PM   #24
ThreeQuarter

I had a great experience with my AAW Classic Update Kit. I installed it myself--it's more intimidating than it is difficult. I am sure I took more than 10 hours to do it, but I bet less than 20. My biggest challenge was cutting the larger firewall hole for the new spade fuse box.

I also bought the AAW crimpers because I wanted to ensure my crimps were right. AAW also gives great email and phone support, which I used a few times. They even sent me some more connectors when I fouled up some by using the wrong crimper size.
ThreeQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:12 PM   #25
truckdude239

i vote aaw but i didn't buy there chimpers i used normal climps after i kind of folded them over and then solider every one of them the only thing kit does not come with is the wiper switch every wire is labeled every liek6 inches and the instructions are awwesome!!! i hate wiring and this was easy

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote