The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2018, 08:42 PM   #101
Mav

Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

Cant get pics from phone to here, will get somebody to help me, sorry.....
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:01 PM   #102
Mike_The_Grad

MAV,
I'm assuming you have a "smart phone" easiest way to get pictures here is: email the pictures to yourself, then log into your email through your computer, and save the attachments to a folder, when you are ready to post your reply Go Advanced, and manage your attachments to your reply. You are limited on the file size, but one or two should fit. If not then post them individually.
Or do as I do, and use your phone to log into the forum and then it's the same procedure to attach photos, might even be easier depending on how comfortable you are with using your phone. I can pull photos directly from my Gallery.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:14 PM   #103
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad View Post
LOCKDOC,
My truck sat in the driveway with no hood and not running from 2006-2014.
I removed everything forward of the cab, except steering and suspension. So i only recently installed wiper arms and blades. I have my original nozzles. I'm gonna go through all of it and clean, paint, lube, replace whatever needs it. I don't have a washer bottle, hoses. I'll pull transmission arms, and whatever else is exterior and restore them. Replace wiper motor with a NEW unit and maybe washer pump just to have new in there. Which wiper motor would be the correct replacement for my 72 C10? I'm assuming it's the 3-terminal non-depressed motor unit....but I could be wrong. I may even get a new wiper switch, but I'm not looking forward to paying almost $40 for a new one.lol. But then again, I do have all new headlight switch, dimmer switch, and ignition switch. It's a good thing I've slowly been going through the truck because I can imagine this turning into one of those "while I'm down there I may as well replace..."

Yes, it would be the 3 terminal non-depressed. Rectangular motor....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:39 PM   #104
Mav

I tried pc and phone, keeps saying it doesnt recognize address, will try again tomorrow, need to do something on pickup and get away from computer awhile.....
Old 03-16-2018, 09:41 PM   #105
Mav

Thanks for puttin up w/me, should have learned picture thing 1st, then asked questions. Mav
Old 03-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #106
Mav

Ok, here is pic.

Last edited by Mav; 03-17-2018 at 05:23 PM. Reason: turn pic
Old 03-17-2018, 01:28 PM   #107
Mav

Thanks Mike, I was emailing pics to me and downloading, but a setting on my PC was converting pics to pdf, blah blah blah.....my sister fixed it, so I should be ok from here.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:03 PM   #108
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Ok, here is pic.
That is wired completely wrong. The first thing I would do is to remove all of the wires from the connectors and start over. Wire it exactly like the picture I posted in post #67 using the brown connector on the washer pump and the black connector on the wiper. Then post another picture.

LockDoc

-
Old 03-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #109
Mav

I can change it, but brown plug is on washer pump now and black on motor, only difference is I have dk. blue where you have light blue, have already tried that(reversing the blues) and thats when the pump wont stop.....
Old 03-17-2018, 03:37 PM   #110
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
I can change it, but brown plug is on washer pump now and black on motor, only difference is I have dk. blue where you have light blue, have already tried that(reversing the blues) and thats when the pump wont stop.....
The wires on the pump are backwards too. The yellow wires should be on the right side of the plug.....

LockDoc

-
Old 03-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #111
Mav

For some reason when I upload the picture it turns it 90 deg. to the left, cant figure out how to correct that but I believe the wires are in the same place as your #67 post,(I turned brown washer plug over, but that has never made a difference yet. Obviously I left pump cover off so wiring is visible, oh yeah, my blues are backwards from yours, but I already posted what changes if I switch them.....thanks, if you have had enough of this project I dont blame ya, me 2...
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2018, 09:12 PM   #112
Mav

Different angle but wired like post #67.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2018, 11:50 PM   #113
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
For some reason when I upload the picture it turns it 90 deg. to the left, cant figure out how to correct that but I believe the wires are in the same place as your #67 post,(I turned brown washer plug over, but that has never made a difference yet. Obviously I left pump cover off so wiring is visible, oh yeah, my blues are backwards from yours, but I already posted what changes if I switch them.....thanks, if you have had enough of this project I dont blame ya, me 2...

It's not that I've had enough, but I'm pretty much out of ideas, other than trying another motor or switch. If it works OK out of the truck there is no reason it shouldn't work in the truck unless the wiring is screwed up somewhere or the new switch is defective..... If you still have the original switch I would try it again.

LockDoc

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-18-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:06 AM   #114
Mav

Am getting ready to pull it out again and bench test, 1st w/out switch, then with, even though it tests good I want to rule it out. Then it pretty much has to be something in the wiring like you said, (even though it tests ok). If I have to will just run new wiring independent of the existing wires. Thanks , be back later, Mav
Old 03-18-2018, 11:42 AM   #115
tutone

Quote:
Am getting ready to pull it out again and bench test, 1st w/out switch, then with, even though it tests good I want to rule it out. Then it pretty much has to be something in the wiring like you said, (even though it tests ok). If I have to will just run new wiring independent of the existing wires. Thanks , be back later, Mav
Mav. before you do pull it, try this. Lockdoc posted it way back in this thread. You may be losing power, not ground. Get your wiring on the switch and and hook everything up as it should be. THEN clean the heck out of your fuse holder with some 180 grit. If the wiper comes on and parks, it indicates a good ground and no power. It was what was the leading cause of my problem a couple of weeks ago. Remember the motor is supposed to have 12v on it from the ignition switch when you hit the key. If you hit the switch and complete the circuit, it will search ground immediately and if it finds it in the fuse holder, your wipers will park on the 1st revolution.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:14 PM   #116
Mike_The_Grad

MAV,
I'm interested in your scenario. I understand how frustrating troubleshooting can be, but remember that it will all be worth it when you do finally get it resolved.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:20 PM   #117
Mav

Thanks guys, too late on the dont pull, but didnt change anything, worked perfect on bench, same thing when back in pickup, will do on cleaning the fuse holder, have 12.5 at battery but since Ive always had power at plug I assumed it was enough. It doesnt have to make any sense at this point, if I havent done it yet I will, aahhh these old rigs are fun!
Old 03-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #118
Mav

Oh lockdoc, I did try other switch, same result....just cant be motor cause it works perfect out of pickup, works in too just not coordinated w/switch. By the way do you know how your wiring is at the switch plug? Mine is lt. blue on angled outside, dk. blue in middle, and black straight outside. thanks Mav
Old 03-18-2018, 03:50 PM   #119
Mav

Didnt hurt to clean fuse holder anyway....no change, I have 11.6 volts @fuse.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #120
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Oh lockdoc, I did try other switch, same result....just cant be motor cause it works perfect out of pickup, works in too just not coordinated w/switch. By the way do you know how your wiring is at the switch plug? Mine is lt. blue on angled outside, dk. blue in middle, and black straight outside. thanks Mav
My switch is wired the same.

LockDoc
Attached Images

-
Old 03-18-2018, 04:34 PM   #121
Mav

Thanks, am fresh out of ideas, guess I will just rewire it, have no idea why it would be when all 3 test ok, but just isnt much left.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:38 PM   #122
Mav

Think I will check voltage at wiper motor though, if something was wrong in ignition switch maybe.......??
Old 03-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #123
Mav

Well I fouled up when I bench tested w/switch, I put everything back in and rewired it and still the same, so am sending switch back. Dont know of another one that will fit plug (3 terminal) but will bypass plug and use individual wires which I already did. Am wondering if they will warranty though cause if they test switch like I did , was it post 34? it will probably show ok. Might be better to get new switch and make sure it works ok before I mail this one, this project has me a little paranoid.....I will post again if I live long enough to get this fixed,LOL
Old 03-19-2018, 03:09 AM   #124
Mike_The_Grad

MAV,
Are you testing the wipers with the engine running? Do you have a voltmeter wired into your truck so that it displays system voltage anytime the key is turned, or are you using the factory ammeter?
I ask because I have a voltmeter wired into my system and no longer utilize the factory ammeter (the new American Autowire "Classic Update" kit I installed doesn't have provisions for the factory ammeter.) When I insert the key and turn it to the "run" position I usually see a reading of 12.5V on the voltmeter, when I start the truck and is idling I usually see just to the right (highside) of 14V. When I turn the wiper switch to the first detent (Low), it'll drop to around 13.75V.
Now, wuth engine idling, and my headlights on High, wipers on High, Heater blower motor on High, 4-way flashers on, and stereo at MAX, my voltmeter inside the truck reads 13.2V.
I just took this reading about 3 days ago because I thought I was having power issues somewhere causing my stereo to intermittently loose power, but yet immediately regain the power as if nothing happend. ( turned out to be RF/EMI emissions from something under the hood. I placed a Ferrite Clamp over the radio power and constant batt. Power wires and no more intermittent power loss.)
Anyways what I'm getting at is, you are going to have voltage drop In any electrical system. Anything less than 1 Volt of drop is considered "Normal",for the most part.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:07 PM   #125
Mav

Hey Mike, I tested w/meter and had 11.3 at motor, but I think I know what the problem has been all along, am embarrassed to post this but I have to come clean. I misread the 70 service manual where it says "depending on your wiring harness you could have a 3 or 4 terminal motor, the standard replacement is a 4 terminal". I took that as the motors were interchangeable but that IS NOT what it says, it says if you have a 3 or 4 you will replace with a 4, it doesnt say if you have wiring for a 4, you can install a 3 and it will work. That would explain a lot of things.....I havent changed back to a 4 yet, but I am betting it will work. If you and lockdoc etc. assumed I knew this, my apologies, somebody quoted John Wayne, "Lifes tough, its even tougher when you are stupid"I laughed when I read it, doesnt seem so funny this morning. later Mav.