The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2021, 10:32 PM   #1
Distro

Electric fan wiring

Wired up electric fan and it works fine. Problem is my temperature gauge is not working. I have an idea why. I spliced the wire from the fan that goes to the temperature sender in with the wire that goes to my temperature gauge. Is there a way to get my gauge working?
Distro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:29 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Electric fan wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distro View Post
Wired up electric fan and it works fine. Problem is my temperature gauge is not working. I have an idea why. I spliced the wire from the fan that goes to the temperature sender in with the wire that goes to my temperature gauge. Is there a way to get my gauge working?
You have to add an additional sensor/temperature switch to the fan wiring.. The gauge sensor isn't capable of accurately operating both the fan and gauge.. This is the system I installed on my truck to control the radiator fans..

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16759
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:45 PM   #3
Sheepdip

Have no idea about your gauge as far as if it's still going to work. I'd try a new temp sender first. You need a different type of sender for the fan trigger and it should trigger a relay other wise you'll burn it up using it as a fan motor ground, too many amps required.

Also don't know how you wired your fan either but here is the proper way. I use a 40 amp auto reset fuse and one for each fan if multiples
Attached Images

Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:36 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Electric fan wiring

I assume you used the sender for a ground wire to the fan. If so it want work for the gauge to.

I would go to the parts store and buy one of the adjustable termostatic controllers and run it off that. That is the simplest way. This is a standard kit. You can buy them with relays also. They have some as much $200.00 if you want them.
I just buy this kit and a relay to hook up in mine.
I add a speed switch also to mine to cut the fans off when I'm at road speed. No need to run the fans when you don't need them.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:35 PM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
The sender for the guage is a resistor calibrated with the guage to make the needle approximate the engine temperature. Hooking the fan to the sender changes the resistance seen by the guage preventing it from working correctly.
The fan needs to have a temperature switch to operate correctly. Ie a switch that operates at a certain temperature. Hooking the fan directly to the sender just makes the fan run slower. It won't turn the fan on and off based on engine temperature.
There isn't any reasonable method of using the temperature sender to turn the fan on and off.
The temperature switch that was used on the idiot lights is the right kind of switch but the temperature switch set point is too high to operate cooling fans.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:06 PM   #6
Rickysnickers

I have one of these on my truck. The only thing I do not like about it, it that it runs after the truck has been turned off. Is there a way to stop that from occurring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I assume you used the sender for a ground wire to the fan. If so it want work for the gauge to.

I would go to the parts store and buy one of the adjustable termostatic controllers and run it off that. That is the simplest way. This is a standard kit. You can buy them with relays also. They have some as much $200.00 if you want them.
I just buy this kit and a relay to hook up in mine.
I add a speed switch also to mine to cut the fans off when I'm at road speed. No need to run the fans when you don't need them.

Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:03 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Electric fan wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
I have one of these on my truck. The only thing I do not like about it, it that it runs after the truck has been turned off. Is there a way to stop that from occurring?

Yes, depending on how you have it wired. If it keeps running after the truck is turned off you have it straight wired to 12 volts.
If it runs 12 volts straight off the battery you will need to put either a on/off switch in line at the dash area so you can shut it off but that sometimes isn't good enough because you forget to shut it off.
With a relay that shuts power off with the key switch is the best. Just cut the truck off and it will cut off. When you crank it up it want come on until the temperature is reached by the adjustable thermastat.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.

Last edited by Andy4639; 02-14-2021 at 09:11 PM.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:48 PM   #8
Distro

I plan on calling champion radiator tommorow and see what they recommend. I've called them once already and the costumer service was great. I'll update after I speak to them.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:15 PM   #9
RustyPile

Quote:
I plan on calling champion radiator tommorow and see what they recommend. I've called them once already and the costumer service was great. I'll update after I speak to them.
Referencing the wiring diagram posted by sheepdip:

The grn/blu wire provides the signal voltage to the relay terminal 86.. Applying voltage from an ignition switched on source will allow the controller to turn the fans off when the ignition is switched off. When the engine is running, the fan temp sensor will still control the fan switching..

Did you follow the link I posted in my previous post?? At the top of that page is another link to the installation instructions.. Take a look at them, as the instructions tell you how to wire it up to turn off the fan(s) with the ignition switch..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:20 PM   #10
Distro

Just spoke to champion radiator. They recommend that I add a temperature sender to my water neck to run the electric fan and use the temperature sender in the intake to run the gauge in the gauge cluster. So now I'm on the hunt for a water neck with a port to run the electric fan.
Old 02-15-2021, 01:43 PM   #11
BigBird05

There should be a plug in each cylinder head for a temp sender.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:47 PM   #12
Distro

I have an original 283 it doesn't have ports in the heads.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:04 PM   #13
MARKDTN

For a single speed fan I would just put a 180 or so sensor (like Cole-Hersey 84251) in the intake if you have aftermarket intake or RH head if you have stock intake (that plug can be a pain to remove) or water neck. Use that signal to ground a relay. So on a 70A Bosch type relay (Cole-Hersey RA700112DN-BX), battery hot to 30 , fan hot to 87, ground from the sensor to 85, and ignition switched to 86. So if the coolant is hotter than the switch and ignition is on then the fan runs.

For a 2-speed fan I use a BMW switch in intake, water neck, or head as above. BMW p/n 61318361787 is 180 low and 195 degrees for high speed. Use a Volvo relay (1398845) to control high and low speeds. Both of these have unique plugs so you are better to buy used and get plug and relay or sensor. I add a main relay so it does not run with ignition off. On a 70A Bosch type relay (Cole-Hersey RA700112DN-BX), battery hot to 30 , Volvo relay hot to 87, ground to 85, and ignition switched to 86. Then Volvo relay LH 1 to fan low speed and LH 2 to high speed. Then Volvo relay Center 1 to the low side of the BMW switch and Center 2 to the high speed side. BMW switch if you are looking at the pins with the flat side down, then ground goes to 12, low at 9 and high at 3 o'clock. So if the coolant is hotter than 180 and ignition is on then the fan runs on low. If the coolant is hotter than 195 and ignition is on then the fan runs on high.

Note that the BMW switch is M14x1.5 thread. I bought a 3/8 to ¼ bushing and drilled and tapped it M14. Also note that you should use a fuse or circuit breaker on the power supply to the relay for protection.
Attached Images

'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project

Last edited by MARKDTN; 02-15-2021 at 02:17 PM.
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #14
MARKDTN

Quote:
.... So now I'm on the hunt for a water neck with a port to run the electric fan.
1982 305 Monte Carlo or Dorman 902-2015 water neck
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
Old 02-16-2021, 11:22 AM   #15
fdbdw

Another option is to remove the radiator drain plug and install the sending unit in its place. That’s what I did , works great.
fdbdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:14 AM   #16
Peanut74

Thanks for the idea fdbdw. I am just about to the point where I will need to hook up my fan. I went with a electronic gauges and electric fan so I have the same dilemma two sensor fighting over the same hole. So this is a good second option to the radiator probe route.
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
1976 Chevy short bed with a 327 and 3 on the tree (Sold it to buy the Blazer)
1971 Chevy Blazer (Sold it)
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:37 AM   #17
68 P.O.S.

I'm using the dual fan relay kit from Champion. They have a single fan kit too. I didn't use their sending unit for the intake tho, I bought a different one that goes in the rad. Also have a zinc anode in the rad drain plug as well.

https://www.championradiators.com/dual-fan-relay-kit
Old 03-24-2021, 09:25 AM   #18
guyryan100

In modern cars the fan will continue to run for a short period even after ignition is turned off, has anyone seen a relay kit that will do that without running the fan so long that the battery is drained? If so that would seem good for cooling. I notice that immediately after the engine is cut, temperatures in the radiator rise rapidly.
guyryan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:57 AM   #19
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyryan100 View Post
In modern cars the fan will continue to run for a short period even after ignition is turned off, has anyone seen a relay kit that will do that without running the fan so long that the battery is drained? If so that would seem good for cooling. I notice that immediately after the engine is cut, temperatures in the radiator rise rapidly.
That's called a delay relay, they make them to go both ways, delay on or delay off.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:51 AM   #20
MARKDTN

Hella 996152131 - Hella Adjustable Time Delay Units appear to fit a regular Hella/Bosch style base. They are rated at 20A so not enough to run a big fan, they would have to be added and used to trigger the larger relay. So in my description above, the new relay would be battery (fused) hot to 30 terminal, ignition switched power to 86, ground to 85, and out to the ignition (86) on the big 70A relay from 87. That way the ignition supply would have a delay of whatever you programmed the relay for.
Attached Images

'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project

Last edited by MARKDTN; 03-25-2021 at 09:02 AM.