The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2021, 01:30 AM   #1
Pick121

The Green Machine - 1963 C50 field rescue

Hello Heavy haulers, I am new to the site but I have been stalking all of you! Just today allowed to post.
My neighbors are old ranchers and have a bunch of “yard art” meaning broken down rusted farm equipment and such. I have been at their house many times but one day, this old truck catches my eye.
(Photo 1)
It’s a 1963 C50 sitting out there to rust its remaining years away! On a side note, I love good beer. And I have always had this dream of growing hops on our 19 acre ranch, and one day I saw this old photo (Sorry it’s a Dodge)
(Photo 2)
of an ole truck harvesting hops on the Hop Growers of America site and I says to myself, wouldn’t that be cool to have an old workhorse truck working the Hop harvest? (Now remember, I don’t have ANY hops growing) So I tell them, don’t ever think of getting rid of that truck without asking me first. They say: it’s yours! Take it, we would just love to see it running again. Johnny (the neighbor) says it was running when it was parked x number of years ago. So my next project is, rescuing this beast from its current state of non-function and get it across the street to my shop! More photos to follow
Attached Images

Pick121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 01:48 AM   #2
Pick121

Re: The Green Machine - 1963 C50 field rescue

Some may be thrown off on the year 1963 by the headlight bezels but the VIN doesn’t lie, and the fender emblems too.
My plans for this build is to keep it relatively stock, to use as a work truck around the ranch. While I like the looks of the bagged, slammed conversions i just want a usable, reliable work truck. Probably will remove the cattle racks on the flatbed, make it with removable stake sides and add a removable gooseneck trailer ball (we have a lot of those kinds of trailers around here)
First order of business is, will it run? It has oil on the dipstick but no coolant in radiator and the brake fluid reservoir is bone dry. Some of the tires actually still have air!
Then get the brakes working, go from there
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2021, 02:09 AM   #3
Pick121

The history of this truck: it was first put into use as a service truck for Peterson-Caterpillar in San Leandro, CA. This explains the “SPEC” paint code, it was originally painted Caterpillar Tractor safety yellow under the green, you can see the yellow poking out in a few places. It has a V8 and a PTO that ran a compressor on a rear flatbed, along with a welder setup (the PTO is still there but the compressor and welder are long gone) The Caterpillar Tractor factory in San Leandro was a major producer of tractors and other machines in the mid 1900’s, and a great many folks from the area were employed there until the plant shut down in 1985. The Peterson-Caterpillar equipment dealer is still in business in San Leandro! Johnny tells me the truck was bought by his father in law to be used for his cattle and hay farming operation. The engine was blown and rebuilt before they bought the truck so not sure if it is original engine or not. Johnny’s FIL had the cattle cage added to transport cattle. I will get the rear casting number one of these days, but the front stamp was a lot easier to see. It looks to me like 9S0304XTO which I think is a 327. I will try to get a better photo this weekend
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2021, 12:07 PM   #4
factorystock

The biggest problem will be with the brakes. Not sure if parts are even available anymore. May have to send all the parts out to someone who specializes in rebuilding brake componets. The one piece 22.5 wheels are rare and very desireable, people buying these C 50's with 2 piece wheels are spending a fortunate to get one piece wheels put on them.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:49 PM   #5
Pick121

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
The biggest problem will be with the brakes. Not sure if parts are even available anymore. May have to send all the parts out to someone who specializes in rebuilding brake componets. The one piece 22.5 wheels are rare and very desireable, people buying these C 50's with 2 piece wheels are spending a fortunate to get one piece wheels put on them.
Thanks factorystock, I have been reading up on Unofornaio and his C40 pizza oven truck build and the years-long brake cylinder nightmares. I am hoping I will have better luck with their condition or finding C50 parts. And I was happy to see the tires on this beast were tubeless style 9-22.5 meaning safer rims. On another note this truck has a monster rear end! Split style and rear duals
Thanks for looking!
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2021, 02:02 PM   #6
cwcarpenter98

That's a sweet truck Mike.
You are correct that the grille doesn't seem right, but for the big trucks it is. GM didn't redesign the grille for the 63 big trucks, they just carried over the 62 grille. A darn shame they did it that way because I think the regular 63 grille is one of the best ones, but I wasn't around back then to design an 63 only big truck grille

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 03:29 PM   #7
MJN

Thats a nice truck you have there! Also a great idea for growing hops too, we used to grow our own hops for home brewing.
The engine code has me puzzled- do you have better pictures of the entire engine? XTO suffix code doesn't seem to exist in any of the books (including The Lime Book) or on websites. The S is Saginaw engine factory and 0304 is March 4th. But the XTO is throwing me and it almost looks like XTC but even that one doesn't exist. There is a TC suffix but that is a 348 big block (which would be appropriate for 1963) and it doesn't resemble a 327. XTD is a service replacement engine 283 for 1965, 66 and 67 but would be tough to read that as a 'D'
'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:43 PM   #8
Pick121

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJN View Post
Thats a nice truck you have there! Also a great idea for growing hops too, we used to grow our own hops for home brewing.
The engine code has me puzzled- do you have better pictures of the entire engine? XTO suffix code doesn't seem to exist in any of the books (including The Lime Book) or on websites. The S is Saginaw engine factory and 0304 is March 4th. But the XTO is throwing me and it almost looks like XTC but even that one doesn't exist. There is a TC suffix but that is a 348 big block (which would be appropriate for 1963) and it doesn't resemble a 327. XTD is a service replacement engine 283 for 1965, 66 and 67 but would be tough to read that as a 'D'
Hey there MJN, thanks for the reply! And sorry to waste your time, I finally got a closer look today after spraying with engine cleaner and wire brush - man I was WAY off, missing half the numbers! and you are right the last character is a C. I am having trouble reading the first character but pretty sure it’s a C (could be a S, O, G, Q!) I might take a green pad or fine sandpaper to it this week. My best guess is CE6N2289S60304XTC and you may have missed it but the story goes it had a rebuilt engine put in, not sure if they rebuilt original one or dropped in a totally different one. The casting number might help, removed years of grime to get it 3959532, it that a 283? Thanks again and cool that you grew hops!
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2021, 10:26 PM   #9
Pick121

Quote:
Doing some research, I found info on a Corvette Forum saying the 3959532 casting was a warranty replacement block 283, which would make sense with the story from PO my neighbor. Of course, the Internets never lie right? Check the photo of the site. I still am curious what the stamp on front of block translates to!
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2021, 10:36 PM   #10
Pick121

Quote:
I feel like Columbo on an investigation! I enjoy it. More info indicates the CE prefix stamp is for a “Chevrolet Engine” used on blocks that were warranty replacement engines. This all seems to be coming together. I agree with you on the “S” for Saginaw. Now to decipher the XTC
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2021, 11:01 PM   #11
Pick121

Quote:
Hope you are not getting sick of me yet. Now looking closer at the stamp, it looks like 2 separate stamps overlapping. Does that make sense? So we might be looking at 2 stamps, first CE6N22896 then S0304XTC. Wonder what that means!
Old 02-08-2021, 12:30 AM   #12
Pick121

Quote:
And photos of the entire engine. Yes those are walnuts on the manifold! And what about that tiny little air cleaner? Reminds me of Beetlejuice
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2021, 09:24 AM   #13
MJN

Looks like its just a simple service replacement engine- the stamping won't mean anything other than the factory and date it was made. Great start for a project- I would find the stock air cleaner for it too eventually.
Attached Images

'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #14
Redneck Rydes

Great detective work,When I bought my 1968 Impala SS 427/425 hp,I bought it from the original owner,he told me he had the engine replaced in 1969, started knocking,so what they did was replace the lower end and put all the top end on the new "crate engine" he asked about getting the original block back,and they said it had to be destroyed,yea right,probally whet home with one of the mechanics,but anyway,that engine had CE and then had the work order number on it
Redneck Rydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:59 PM   #15
Pick121

IT IS ALIVE…ALIVE!! The Green Machine - 1963 C50 field rescue

Finally got this big guy running again! Moved by its own power from our across the street neighbor’s to my ranch. It took me a while to figure out. Ended up being points were adjusted too far open, who did that anyway? I wanted to take every precaution to make sure not to do any damage to the engine on its first start in 20 years since it was parked and left to sit and wonder what its future was.
I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, points, condenser, spark plugs, plug wires, ignition coil, threw on new fan belts and air filter (temporary, want to get a stock air cleaner eventually), changed the oil and filter, rigged up a remote fuel tank directly to the fuel pump to keep old nasty fuel out of the carb, and on day 2 of tinkering it fired up!
Need to do a lot more work but at least it’s at my place now so I can tinker with it. Man he’s a BEAST. Love to work on an old engine, so much room to work. I have to say it is waaay up there compared to my C10. The brakes are non-existent, the brake pedal does not even move. Anyway this is for my own documentation of the build so thanks for following along. The Green Machine will eventually be my hops harvester but for now it is running yard art.
I will give it some much needed TLC cleanup, wash, engine degreasing, etc.

Last edited by Pick121; 10-11-2021 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Wrong word
Old 10-13-2021, 10:39 PM   #16
JPBrecheisen

Great truck and great work saving it.

Brake pedal being stuck is most likely the piston in the master cylinder being frozen from sitting.

I saved a 1960 C60 so its nice to see folks save the big trucks.

I have manuals and parts data for some of the big truck stuff so holler if you need a GM number for anything. I might be able to help.

Its posted elsewhere in the forum but here is mine.

Jumpsoffrock runs a later model but was a big help to me when i was figuring out the wheels and tires as mine had splits that had to be replaced.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Attached Images

JPBrecheisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:46 PM   #17
Pick121

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBrecheisen View Post
Great truck and great work saving it.

Brake pedal being stuck is most likely the piston in the master cylinder being frozen from sitting.

I saved a 1960 C60 so its nice to see folks save the big trucks.

I have manuals and parts data for some of the big truck stuff so holler if you need a GM number for anything. I might be able to help.

Its posted elsewhere in the forum but here is mine.

Jumpsoffrock runs a later model but was a big help to me when i was figuring out the wheels and tires as mine had splits that had to be replaced.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Wow beautiful truck! It gives me inspiration. I will definitely be asking for info and help. Brake pedal lever was apparently just frozen between the pivot point bracket under the dash, I just pushed down 175lbs of pressure (me) and it broke free. So, now the pedal goes right to the floor with no resistance or brake activation haha.
Here are some pics

The Green Machine made it to the ranch under his own power!
2. The engine compartment showing temporary gas tank robbed from a generator, new cap-plug wires-belts
3. Maybe could have saved some $$ and kept the old spark plug wires (#sarcasm)
4. The cab will be cleaned out next
5. Another angle of this beast
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2021, 04:39 PM   #18
Warrens69GMC

nice
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:46 PM   #19
cwcarpenter98

Yup, those wires have seen better days

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:39 PM   #20
jumpsoffrock

I had an interesting time tracking down all of the brake part numbers, and Raybestos for some unknown reason changed their catalog cross reference system making it harder to find obsolete part numbers.
What that means is it's harder to search the deep internet for NOS parts that would still be usable. ( I have found carb rebuild kits and ignition parts for older trucks--made by brands that haven't existed in 40+ years--by using ANCIENT part numbers I found on kakapart....very useful)

kakapart.com is a very weird finicky website that I suspect is foreign, but no matter that, it is a GODSEND. I cannot believe some of the crossreference ability of that website. It pulls up new numbers Ive never even seen and they are often relevant.

Good luck with your brakes and wheels. The info is out there, and the parts are too.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:18 PM   #21
BAD1916

Awesome project. Looking forward to updates!
BAD1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:38 PM   #22
Pick121

Just a photo…more progress soon!
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2022, 02:34 AM   #23
Pick121

Old 01-17-2022, 05:00 PM   #24
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick121 View Post
Great picture!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:04 PM   #25
MusicMan70

Congratulations and love seeing and old Big Gun being saved!