The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2021, 05:30 AM   #26
special-K
Special Order

Re: Who is into vintage bicycles?

Cool Tornado.

Kurt, I still have my 10 spd road bike. It's a Fuji Finest. I saved up and bought it in '73 or '74. I rode the heck out of that thing in the '70s. I had it with me through all my travels. The last real riding I remember was when I lived in AZ. I would ride it from Mountainaire down to Sedona, which was literally a breeze. THEN... It was time to peddle all the way up again. Shew! I still remember pumping all those endorphins up . it was nothing to ride it in to Flagstaff and back.

I found some cool videos on muscle bikes

https://youtu.be/khJIq9h0LvM

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:32 AM   #27
raggedjim

I would call these custom vintage. I've always loved bicycles.
Attached Images

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:04 PM   #28
special-K
Special Order

I think only the first one is vintage. That second one is a true custom. I love that style, always wanted to build them that way. The only problem is you can't peddle very well with the seat so low. You need a motor if you want a seat down on the frame

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 07-27-2021, 11:54 PM   #29
89AKurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Cool Tornado.

Kurt, I still have my 10 spd road bike. It's a Fuji Finest. I saved up and bought it in '73 or '74. I rode the heck out of that thing in the '70s. I had it with me through all my travels. The last real riding I remember was when I lived in AZ. I would ride it from Mountainaire down to Sedona, which was literally a breeze. THEN... It was time to peddle all the way up again. Shew! I still remember pumping all those endorphins up . it was nothing to ride it in to Flagstaff and back.

I found some cool videos on muscle bikes

Vintage Bicycles / Muscle Bikes - YouTube

https://youtu.be/khJIq9h0LvM
Did you go on 89A, not I-17? You were an animal!

Thanks for the YouTube link, I see other videos to watch, regarding my Chopper.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:01 AM   #30
Boog
laying low

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
I would call these custom vintage. I've always loved bicycles.
Got a sort of bobber-dirt track racer kind of look to them.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:34 AM   #31
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Not yet but I may be in the future. Currently I'm starting at a red or yellow Formica & chrome set, anyone?

I road this in my youth. All style & cruise, but I made it work for daily and a paper route too. I can almost still feel the pain of the pavement because I was riding barefoot or sandles. You know, the kind of thing you didn't learn from the first time I liked my brother's Stingray better in the day, it was capable on dirt & jumps. I still remember the feeling finding this next to the Christmas Tree, with my brother's next to it. Took a spoils on that one for sure.

Tell you a little story, my mother's last gift to me was this magnet.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-28-2021 at 12:47 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:00 AM   #32
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89AKurt View Post
Did you go on 89A, not I-17? You were an animal!

Thanks for the YouTube link, I see other videos to watch, regarding my Chopper.
89A all the way! A young animal. I turned 25 when I was there. Hiked to the top of Mt Humphreys that day.

There was one I couldn't find again after watching it. that one was customized bikes a guy had built and some done by others. I also say a more official documentary style one about the history of the Raleigh Chopper. Did you see that one? It was odd hearing a British person pronounce Raleigh as 'rally'. I may be an American with awful pronunciation but I always knew the name as Rah-lee, as in Sir Walter Raleigh and my dad used to smoke Raleigh cigarettes way back then... whatever

I have a Schwinn sting ray story, a small one. I never had one of my own. when I was in 9th or 10th grade a guy I knew's mom had his black Fastback set out with the trash. I saw it and told him couldn't believe it. He said "Take it" and I did. So I had one just before I was able to get a drivers license. I have a brother 15 years my younger. I ended up giving it to him. Not sure after that

Tim

Old 07-28-2021, 06:39 AM   #33
4u2nv

UOTE=71CHEVYSHORTBED402;8950662]Not yet but I may be in the future. Currently I'm starting at a red or yellow Formica & chrome set, anyone?

I road this in my youth. All style & cruise, but I made it work for daily and a paper route too. I can almost still feel the pain of the pavement because I was riding barefoot or sandles. You know, the kind of thing you didn't learn from the first time I liked my brother's Stingray better in the day, it was capable on dirt & jumps. I still remember the feeling finding this next to the Christmas Tree, with my brother's next to it. Took a spoils on that one for sure.

Tell you a little story, my mother's last gift to me was this magnet.[/QUOTE]

Look at the goodies on that Lemon Peeler WOW
metalflake seat
I think those are shocks on that sissy bar
drum brakes
??? how many gears
Is that a head light or something else ???
Oh and the white lettered tires
That bike would have made any kid proud
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:11 AM   #34
raggedjim

Quote:
I think only the first one is vintage. That second one is a true custom. I love that style, always wanted to build them that way. The only problem is you can't peddle very well with the seat so low. You need a motor if you want a seat down on the frame
I've always been interested in the electric motors, I may build one. As far as riding those 2, they are very uncomfortable to ride very far!

They are both actually custom, lots of work on both, but the second one had more frame modifications.

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 03:47 PM   #35
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Look at the goodies on that Lemon Peeler WOW
metalflake seat
I think those are shocks on that sissy bar
drum brakes
??? how many gears
Is that a head light or something else ???
Oh and the white lettered tires
That bike would have made any kid proud

___________________________________________________________________________________________

I recall having a bike with a headlight, that may have been it. I don't know what kind of brake system, only knew it stopped I remember white letters, pretty sure on the back tire only. It's a beautiful bike and was my favorite color.

My best friend was upset he didn't get the same bike, we're still friends. His dad told him he wanted him to have something that lasts and more practical, wasn't long before he realized he was right.

Should I pull the trigger?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/23410294238...8AAOSw4aJg~GGb
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-28-2021 at 03:53 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:40 PM   #36
truckin 79

I used to have a sears red chopper bike in the 70's until someone stole it from school.
I just recently bought a rechargeable bike and what a fun ride. The thing has pedal assist or you can just push down on the accelerator and it will cruise 20 mph for 25 miles. Getting older and huskier I will take any help I can get while exercising.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:26 PM   #37
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
I've always been interested in the electric motors, I may build one. As far as riding those 2, they are very uncomfortable to ride very far!

They are both actually custom, lots of work on both, but the second one had more frame modifications.

Rg
That first one looks like a Schwinn. I had a '50s Streamliner with that frame and tank. Not mine but same colors and mine was not mint. I'd say ex cond though. I sold my Schwinn collection in '09 and 10, regretfully. Only kept the black Cruiser 5

Those custom bikes would be cool with electric motors. Or Whizzer type gas. make some noise!

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 07-28-2021 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:11 AM   #38
89AKurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Not yet but I may be in the future. Currently I'm starting at a red or yellow Formica & chrome set, anyone?

Tell you a little story, my mother's last gift to me was this magnet.
Very cool, thanks for sharing.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:14 AM   #39
89AKurt

Quote:
89A all the way! A young animal. I turned 25 when I was there. Hiked to the top of Mt Humphreys that day.

There was one I couldn't find again after watching it. that one was customized bikes a guy had built and some done by others. I also say a more official documentary style one about the history of the Raleigh Chopper. Did you see that one? It was odd hearing a British person pronounce Raleigh as 'rally'. I may be an American with awful pronunciation but I always knew the name as Rah-lee, as in Sir Walter Raleigh and my dad used to smoke Raleigh cigarettes way back then... whatever

I have a Schwinn sting ray story, a small one. I never had one of my own. when I was in 9th or 10th grade a guy I knew's mom had his black Fastback set out with the trash. I saw it and told him couldn't believe it. He said "Take it" and I did. So I had one just before I was able to get a drivers license. I have a brother 15 years my younger. I ended up giving it to him. Not sure after that
I think so, watched several before getting lured into Goodwood Festival stuff. Damn, you didn't have to add the hike too! A friend who was hitting every high point in as many states as possible, dragged me up the Peaks, had a nice thunderstorm the minute we got to the top.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:17 AM   #40
89AKurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Sure, I dare you! Holy cow, $3,600?!?!
Old 07-30-2021, 02:19 AM   #41
89AKurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckin 79 View Post
I used to have a sears red chopper bike in the 70's until someone stole it from school.
I just recently bought a rechargeable bike and what a fun ride. The thing has pedal assist or you can just push down on the accelerator and it will cruise 20 mph for 25 miles. Getting older and huskier I will take any help I can get while exercising.
[...]
Bummer. The E-bikes are getting popular in Prescott. A friend was on a ride, met someone on the trail and got to talking, then he offered him to ride it. He was ready to steal it.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:09 AM   #42
sfont66

I saved this Schwinn Traveler a couple of years ago, when cleaning out my late uncle’s and grandparents home. My father told me it was his bike, and that he had purchased it while in college in the early 1960’s. The tires actually still hold air! The back one may be original, but the front appears newer. Sadly it’s missing some of the original parts, the seat, headlight and generator, as well as some hardware for one of the shifters. Also the rear fender is damaged. It rides really nice, and is a more comfortable position than some other bikes I have.
Is there any way to tell what year it is exactly? Is it worth fixing up, trying to find the original parts?
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2021, 10:52 AM   #43
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfont66 View Post
I saved this Schwinn Traveler a couple of years ago, when cleaning out my late uncle’s and grandparents home. My father told me it was his bike, and that he had purchased it while in college in the early 1960’s. The tires actually still hold air! The back one may be original, but the front appears newer. Sadly it’s missing some of the original parts, the seat, headlight and generator, as well as some hardware for one of the shifters. Also the rear fender is damaged. It rides really nice, and is a more comfortable position than some other bikes I have.
Is there any way to tell what year it is exactly? Is it worth fixing up, trying to find the original parts?
You should be able to figure out the year your bike was made based on the serial number on the frame.

https://bikehistory.org/serial-number.html
pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:54 PM   #44
sfont66

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
You should be able to figure out the year your bike was made based on the serial number on the frame.

https://bikehistory.org/serial-number.html
Thanks for the link, quite a bit of good information there! I will look for serial numbers this evening, now that I know where to look. ( I had taken a quick look on the head tube previously but didn’t see any there)
Thanks again
Old 07-30-2021, 01:54 PM   #45
oldwagon

I still have the 1948 Schwinn that my Dad rode back and forth to work when I was growing up. Right now it's dismantled in my garage. I had it powder coated John Deere Green as that was his favorite color as is mine. I put ape hanger handle bars on it and a seat extension as it made it easier to ride. Hope to get it back together in the near future as I would like to ride it again.
oldwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:03 PM   #46
truckin 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89AKurt View Post
Bummer. The E-bikes are getting popular in Prescott. A friend was on a ride, met someone on the trail and got to talking, then he offered him to ride it. He was ready to steal it.
Yeah I think e-bikes will be the big up and coming thing. There are kits that you can get to add to an existing bike and make it a rechargeable one. I had seen a old timer riding on a bike like this with his grand kids the other day. It was more of a retro military bike green, he looked cool riding on it, he even had a leather jacket on
Old 08-06-2021, 09:37 PM   #47
72c20customcamper

Couple at the swap meet love the wheelie bar
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:58 PM   #48
special-K
Special Order

I just bought a Schwinn Cruiser 6 last week. I've had a Cruiser 5 for many years. Those came out in the very late-70s and I'm not sure when the Cruiser 6 took it's place. I think mid to late '80s. The Cruiser 5 was their old frame adapted with 5 speed set-up, which was the most gears you saw on the rear. The era of the 10 speed road bike. Then in the '80s cam the 6 gear cluster, 12 spd road bikes and mt bikes. Schwinn stayed at it with these retro off road bikes with the Cruiser 6. It has more mt bike like features such as center pull brakes, alloy rims and handlebar stem, and a twist grip indexed shifter. The cruiser 5s were one color with a few choices and old school scroll pinstripe. The Cruiser 6 has a retro 2-tone with another style pinstripe. I never knew about these bikes until I saw this one. I actually thought it was a klunker someone had put together. Anyway, the ad said tires needed air, the pictures showed that, and I figured I'd be buying new tires before I went to look at it. I pumped the original tires up, they hold air, and everything is in good working order. I'll be replacing the brake pads because these are hard and seriously squeal.

The two pictures from the Marketplace listing. Basket is gone and the back rack is next, then a good detailing.
Attached Images

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 10-02-2021 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:26 PM   #49
Warrens69GMC

I have a vintage Schwinn I will be fixing up. I want to paint it with Champagne Metal flake
Attached Images

Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 11:24 PM   #50
kipps

I've always been partial to the 10-speed Schwinns with the 27x1-1/4" tires. Any other tire size simply looks "wrong" in my opinion. One advantage of these bikes is they can still be picked up for under $50 at yard sales, thrift stores, and junk heaps.

A lot of the cheaper 1960's - 1980's Schwinn bikes have the "electro-forged" steel frames. This article describes the process. It was a rather unique way of making a bike frame, and was perfectly suited to the mass-production techniques that Schwinn needed at the time. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/varsity.html

I've had a 1965 Varsity since I was 10 years old. That bike has had several different-colored coats of paint, been torn to pieces and reassembled more times than you can imagine, has been bounced through pastures, bombed up and down gravel lanes, woodland trails, and many miles of blacktop. The frame is very small, so the only way I could continue to ride it was with a really long custom seat post. Once my weight began pushing closer to 200, I finally cracked the frame jumping ditches. I've got a decent collection of NOS parts and decals for the bike, and will get it properly restored at some point. Any bike riding I do around the farm now is on bikes with larger frames.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote