The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2021, 06:51 PM   #1
Rockyrob

Steering column Question 67 C10

Hi Guys Rob here from Australia, hope all are well, My 67 with column auto has an issue where the shifter rattles and shakes like crazy under mild acceleration , Seems connected fine at housing inside. I have a tilt column with i think a collapsible two piece shaft. There is a lot of play on the bearing at bottom end of top shaft which i think may be an issue, My question is , Can i remove the lower shaft only to gain access to replace the bearing by disconnecting at the rag plate on steering box or do i need to remove the column , Any suggestions most appreciated . And if i can do it where can i get the bearing/bush or whatever it needs. I have hopefully put some pics in this thread to show issue

Cheers
Rob
Attached Images

Rockyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 07:15 PM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Steering column Question 67 C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyrob View Post
Hi Guys Rob here from Australia, hope all are well, My 67 with column auto has an issue where the shifter rattles and shakes like crazy under mild acceleration , Seems connected fine at housing inside. I have a tilt column with i think a collapsible two piece shaft. There is a lot of play on the bearing at bottom end of top shaft which i think may be an issue, My question is , Can i remove the lower shaft only to gain access to replace the bearing by disconnecting at the rag plate on steering box or do i need to remove the column , Any suggestions most appreciated . And if i can do it where can i get the bearing/bush or whatever it needs. I have hopefully put some pics in this thread to show issue

Cheers
Rob
G'Day, Rob,
Truck and Car Shops of Orange Cal has both the Upper and Lower Steering Column Bearings.
www.truckandcarshop.com
I'm not familiar with the anatomy of Tilt Columns, so someone else will have to answer that.
Cheers,
Brian

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:36 AM   #3
70shortfleet

Yes, you can remove the intermediate shaft without taking the column out. From the 1st picture I can tell the column has been moved closer to the dash and you will have to loosen the column and slide it up to get the intermediate shaft out. Also the trans linkage has been modified and is not in the correct factory hole. Hope this helps you from removing the column to get to that lower bearing!
70shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:21 AM   #4
Davidf

Many owners want to gain steering wheel to belly clearance by pushing the steering column as far forward/in as possible. However, this causes a problem. The limiting factor on how far the column will move forward is the telescoping joint at the top of the intermediate shaft. However, when this joint is bottomed out (by moving column forward) it can no longer serve the purpose it was designed for. The end result is banging in the column whenever the frame/body flexes and tries to push the intermediate shaft upward into the column. This also causes undo stress on the column/steering shaft bearings in a direction not intended.

So, you can push the column forward/in some, just be sure to not bottom out the swivel/telescoping/what-ever-you-call-it joint.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 02:01 AM   #5
Accelo

There are three screws in the top part of the till that go loose over time. You have to remove the wheel and the tilt pins. The screws are under the part that will come off after you remove the tilt pins. YouTube is your friend on this repair. Very common issue.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:58 PM   #6
Rockyrob

Thanks for the info guys i will get to it and let you know the outcome over the next week.
Rockyrob is offline   Reply With Quote