The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2016, 01:17 PM   #1
davepl

Old folks - 'splain me about the heat riser valve please.

So my truck is set up in what is basically 100% stock configuration, optioned with dual exhaust from the factory with the 402.

On the passenger side I have the heat riser valve. At idle, EVEN AFTER WARMED UP, it stays largely closed and most exhaust from that bank is forced up through the crossover and out the driver's side exhaust.

It's not stuck though, and if you blip the throttle it'll open more. I assume when driving around it's at least partly open based on that.

Still, that seems wrong to me once it's warmed up. I think it's a great idea when cold.

Does anyone know if it should open fully on its own once warm, or just do what it's doing now? So few people keep them in working operation that it's hard to find people who know!

I think the valve is original, so if they wear out, it's definitely time for a new one. But it's loose and moves freely, and the spring still is springy, so unless the spring response changes with age, should be ok.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:30 PM   #2
coreyjhen

Re: Old folks - 'splain me about the heat riser valve please.

Heat riser valves have a butterfly valve in them that the bi-metallic spring holds closed when the engine is cold, and, as the engine warms up, relaxes and lets the butterfly valve open up. I have never seen one that the valve opens up completely, the spring tension just reduces and the exhaust will push the valve open, which is why burping the throttle works. The closed valve forces more exhaust to pass through the intake manifold and heat it up faster. The valves tend to be problematic, but they aren't very expensive to replace.
coreyjhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #3
Bigdav160

Doesn't your riser valve have a weight? It is suppose to hold the valve open when the spring relaxes.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:51 PM   #4
LongBox

Those heat riser valves have been around forever, and the principle is really simple. However, they are very cheap, if my memory serves me correctly, and if I had doubts about whether the spring/weight, etc were doing the job properly, I'd just find a quality replacement and put it in.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:34 PM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
Doesn't your riser valve have a weight? It is suppose to hold the valve open when the spring relaxes.
Every rig I have had over the years had some sort of weight to help hold the valve open.

At least until I promptly removed the assembly in it's entirety.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:50 PM   #6
CaptRMW
Custom Sport W/T

Location: Tarpon Springs,Fl & Annapolis,Md. ....................Quaint drinking villages with a fishing problem

Most likely the end result of an engineer staying at the bar too long the night before he had this marvelous idea. Probably engineered by the same one that came up with the timing sprocket with the nylon tips on the teeth. Anyone wonder why all of the other vehicles don't have one? We melted the butterfly out with an acetylene torch even though the parts dept. 10 feet away had a few on the shelf covered with 1/2 inch of dust.
Capt. Roger (You did say old man right?)
CaptRMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:05 PM   #7
davepl

It does have the weight, but that doesn't seem to be enough to overcome the spring by itself even when hot. The shaft is off center so it'll always (unless stuck) get forced open.

I'm thinking I'll wire it open in the summer. I'm not overly concerned about warmup in the hot weather, and it works properly for the winter.

I think it serves a purpose (GM wasn't giving stuff away if they could save the money) but mine works a little too well in the summer!

Edit: Is there any chance it could be installed upside down, such that the weight was working against it? I haven't looked closely to know which way it opens (and it's in storage at the moment so I cannot check my own).
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:26 PM   #8
hamjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
It does have the weight, but that doesn't seem to be enough to overcome the spring by itself even when hot. The shaft is off center so it'll always (unless stuck) get forced open.

I'm thinking I'll wire it open in the summer. I'm not overly concerned about warmup in the hot weather, and it works properly for the winter.

I think it serves a purpose (GM wasn't giving stuff away if they could save the money) but mine works a little too well in the summer!

Edit: Is there any chance it could be installed upside down, such that the weight was working against it? I haven't looked closely to know which way it opens (and it's in storage at the moment so I cannot check my own).
No, it can't be installed upside down. the top is milled flat and the bottom has a bevel for the doughnut seal.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:59 PM   #9
ratty69

I used to fix my heat risers by removing shaft and flap, drilling and tapping the housing for set screws, and staking the screws in. Full exhaust flow, and carb still gets some heat through the crossover.

If you want to keep it operational but more reliable, why not look into the vacuum setup used on the late 70s to 80s trucks? Hook it up to a coolant temp vacuum switch and you're done.

Like this ( grabbed from google ):

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/sm...?topic=29397.0
ratty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:35 PM   #10
trac209

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty69 View Post
I used to fix my heat risers by removing shaft and flap, drilling and tapping the housing for set screws, and staking the screws in. Full exhaust flow, and carb still gets some heat through the crossover.

If you want to keep it operational but more reliable, why not look into the vacuum setup used on the late 70s to 80s trucks? Hook it up to a coolant temp vacuum switch and you're done.

Like this ( grabbed from google ):

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/sm...?topic=29397.0
I concour with this. I've always wired them open and the exhaust crossover still gets plenty of heat.
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:28 PM   #11
davischevy

I would have answered if you hadn't called me old.

Oh well, I wired it open and park the truck inside where it's warm.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:55 PM   #12
FirstOwner69

As stated above, it sounds like it's operating normally. At least like mine have worked on my '69 and the '65 Impala SS I had when I was young. If it sticks, this is the current version of the proper lubricant. https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Fluid...iser+lubricant

Jim
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote