The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2023, 02:03 PM   #1
rwjtexas

Recommendation for Replacement Body Parts ?

I have a 1985 K5 and preparing for the Paint and Body Restoration. The shop advised me due to the amount of surface rust on the hood, they suggest replacing it. The RH Door (passenger side) also needs to be replaced due to a bull rubbing up on it.

I am hoping someone can advise me on which company sells the best premium restoration parts. I realize that it may cost me a little more, however, I purchased this new in 1985 and restoring it to pass down to my oldest daughter.

Thanks for your time.
rwjtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:05 AM   #2
Willowrun

Re: Recommendation for Replacement Body Parts ?

If it was me and I was going to hold onto the vehicle I'd find rust free factory GM sheet metal. There are a lot of people hitting junkyards in your part of the country and hauling fenders, doors, etc. up here to the rust belt so hopefully there's some parts down there still. Other than finding NOS parts which is getting difficult and expensive when you find them, I always try to find original GM metal. It's a thicker gage in most cases and just fits better. Look on FB marketplace in your area.

I used aftermarket fenders and doors on the first truck I restored in the early 90's (1986 K10...that's how fast they rust here if driven in the winter) and after that I said never again to the repop full body panels. I know there's guys that make aftermarket work for them but OEM is much better in my opinion.
Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote