The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2022, 10:34 AM   #3376
72c20customcamper

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3757chevy View Post
During breaks?
Yes I have to take a break from milling . It’s not an easy task on the body and tossing wood actually feels good bending and twisting . The saw don’t care as long as I let it idle to cool . Biggest mistake people make with air cooled engines is shutting them off after a long or hard cut

Not sure what I’ll be making with it but I have about 3 years to decide . That’s how long it takes to air dry the standard is 1year per inch thickness .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 11-18-2022 at 09:38 AM.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:02 AM   #3377
Boog
laying low

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
What I didn't do is go along with my Buddy on an adventure that sounded interesting. The adventure was run out and down through WVA to Huntington along the Ohio R. to pick up a railroad speeder. I helped him drag the trailer out last Friday when he asked me if I wanted to go along.

Why I decided not to take him up on the offer. He inherited this trailer from a contractor who left it behind on his rental property. He brought it to where we pulled it out from, never used it. It's like new and a very heavy built single axle tilt deck w/16" rubber and full width with a pintle hitch. First red flag came when he said "Tires aren't all cracked up". I looked between the treads and said, "They're cracked between the treads". In one ear and out the other.

The tow vehicle is an Astro Van with the small receiver hitch. Can you smell that second red flag coming up? He bought an adapter for a ball coupler that mounts to the pintle rack on the trailer and a 2" adapter for the receiver on the van. This is many red flags in one. The trailer with load will be at the old vehicle's max tow capacity by way of coupling through a light duty frame-mount hitch adapted (extended) "up" to 2" using a ball coupler (extended) on the heavy trailer with cracked tires. He is also cutting out the round connector on the trailer to put a flat one on since that's what the Astro has. So no trailer brakes.

I'm overdue for a great adventure but I decided to pass this one up. If I throw caution to the wind I like to make sure the wind is blowing first. We are very different in that way
Oh man! This sounds like a good you tube video in the making.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 07:53 AM   #3378
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Oh man! This sounds like a good you tube video in the making.
I hope he has a selfie stick!! He should rent a U-Haul trailer.

This guy is my friend so I know him well enough that I should call him Haphazard Harry. Last winter he went to start his Astro Van and it only cranked, no fire. It was a very damp day after it rained all night. I'd be pulling the distributor cap, cleaning out the carbon tracks, and on my way to buy new quality cap and rotor. Probably a good time for spark plugs and check out the wires. But that's me. He sat there and cranked, cranked, cranked, cranked, crank crank crank crank.............. I was amazed how well his battery held out. He said it's done this before, it'll start eventually. Finally it starts to kick every so often, then more, and finally he got it to start after 10-15 minutes of cranking. All the while he's having a fit because he was leaving to go watch a Ravens game with no time to spare. I saw him a couple/few weeks later and asked if got the Astro straightened out. "It hasn't done it since". Ok, so it fixed itself or it hasn't rained. I wonder if he even put a new cap on.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 12:10 AM   #3379
Sheepdip

Quote:
I hope he has a selfie stick!! He should rent a U-Haul trailer.

This guy is my friend so I know him well enough that I should call him Haphazard Harry. Last winter he went to start his Astro Van and it only cranked, no fire. It was a very damp day after it rained all night. I'd be pulling the distributor cap, cleaning out the carbon tracks, and on my way to buy new quality cap and rotor. Probably a good time for spark plugs and check out the wires. But that's me. He sat there and cranked, cranked, cranked, cranked, crank crank crank crank.............. I was amazed how well his battery held out. He said it's done this before, it'll start eventually. Finally it starts to kick every so often, then more, and finally he got it to start after 10-15 minutes of cranking. All the while he's having a fit because he was leaving to go watch a Ravens game with no time to spare. I saw him a couple/few weeks later and asked if got the Astro straightened out. "It hasn't done it since". Ok, so it fixed itself or it hasn't rained. I wonder if he even put a new cap on.
Oh Boy!....I got a buddy that I've known for 40+ years that was modeled by the good lord after Festus Haggen on Gunsmoke, he looks like him, talks like him and acts like him. When he gets an idea in his head you can't blow it out with dynamite. This is just one story of many and won't be the last.

About 10 years ago he informs me that he bought a forklift and was going to go get it, so I asked him how he was going to haul it? "On my car trailer" was the answer. Said I..."you do know that the counter weight on that is probably close to 5,000 lbs right?" "Yeah but my trailer is good for 7,000 lbs" was his answer. My reply was "Why don't you just call a tow company with a roll back to go get it".

Well long story short after getting it on the trailer, chained and bindered down (which added even more weight) with the two steer axle tires with a foot print about the size of a deck of cards nesting over the 15 year old 2X8's... One set of railroad tracks later the forklift steer axle and counter weight is now thru the trailer deck resting on the axle(s) They had to get a special Boom Truck out of Sacramento to pick it up, set it on the boom truck deck and haul it to his house. Very expensive Forklift before it was all said and done.

Glad I was not there.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 08:43 AM   #3380
special-K
Special Order

You reckon some of us might use a bit less foresight than others? Some maybe none and a few of those have no hindsight either. They like to do things wrong twice!

I've know Chuck about 40 years myself. If he was taking his '58 REO I would have been riding shotgun looking for adventure. It would have been a blast! That thing gets 12.5 mpg (Cat 1160/Roadranger/3.40-3.50-ish rear). I wonder what that Astro would get pulling that heavy trailer empty. Let alone, the return trip loaded. And Huntington, WVA is along the Ohio River which happens to be the opposite side of the "The Mountain State" from here, a trans-Appalachian journey both ways.
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 11-19-2022, 08:01 PM   #3381
72c20customcamper

Was down at the horse farm early first day of rifle saw nothing so at 3 I cut some wood . Got some RTB wood and as I was leaving right at the driveway to the farm this guy must have gotten hit . Nice big 8 pointer .
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 09:17 AM   #3382
special-K
Special Order

The rut is now! Dead deer all over the roadside, lots of movement. I've spotted more bucks shallow into the woods or crossing roads than I can ever recall (while driving) in the last week.

I worked on fixing this cellar areaway that had fallen victim to faulty work on top of faulty work. The old farm house had gotten vinyl siding installed and later the roof replaced on this areaway. No flashing at the house by either of these contractors. To make it worse, this roofline had sunken toward the house, so with little pitch on the roof rainwater would run toward the house as easily as down the slope, which caused rot and further sinking at the house.

They didn't want anything fancy. They called because water was running inside the cellar, tip of the iceberg as they say. I was able to replace minimal framing with old lumber to match, jack what needed jacking up and what needed straightened got straightened using minimal new materials. I still need to do flashing, shingles, and retrim window sill. Also replace the rotted fascia & soffit on the left where the heating oil fill was hanging
Attached Images

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 11-20-2022 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:30 AM   #3383
Rich84

My daughter is moving back to Ct. from Salem, Ma. I'm proud of her. She is single and she is buying a house in our old hometown. It's 105 years old so I know where I will be spending much of my time. My wife and I have been moving her stuff to our house the last 3 weekends. My garage is absolutely stuffed. Moving the furniture damn near killed me. The kid loves old stuff. She has my FIL's old gold velvet couch. It is 9' long. No legs in the middle. It ways about 87 million Lbs. One more trip this weekend and we are done.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 01:58 PM   #3384
cab4word67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich84 View Post
My daughter is moving back to Ct. from Salem, Ma. I'm proud of her. She is single and she is buying a house in our old hometown. It's 105 years old so I know where I will be spending much of my time. My wife and I have been moving her stuff to our house the last 3 weekends. My garage is absolutely stuffed. Moving the furniture damn near killed me. The kid loves old stuff. She has my FIL's old gold velvet couch. It is 9' long. No legs in the middle. It ways about 87 million Lbs. One more trip this weekend and we are done.

You need the Astro van and trailor
cab4word67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 02:10 PM   #3385
Rich84

We did 2 loads with an extended GMC van and 1 load with my Denali pickup and a 12x7 quad trailer. I should have took pictures of the trailer. It looked like Fred Sanford's truck. Ratchet straps all over the place and 165 mile white knuckle drive.
I'm getting too old for this moving stuff, my whole body hurts.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:20 PM   #3386
special-K
Special Order

I'm happy for you. Not the labor, getting her closer and seeing her doing well. What more could a father ask?

Tim

Old 11-23-2022, 10:33 PM   #3387
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I had appointment with my oncologist, almost 5 years since Stanford. It looks like I'll be around to bug ya'll for a while. All Good!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 10:37 PM   #3388
Boog
laying low

Super good news Dale.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 10:48 PM   #3389
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
I had appointment with my oncologist, almost 5 years since Stanford. It looks like I'll be around to bug ya'll for a while. All Good!
Good on ya! I'm getting with my oncologist every 3 months; just in monitor mode, for now.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 11:28 PM   #3390
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
That's great news, Dale! Crack a barley pop....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 11:51 PM   #3391
davischevy

Keep Dale's corner cleared out. Great news.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 12:14 AM   #3392
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol blue k20 View Post
i had appointment with my oncologist, almost 5 years since stanford. It looks like i'll be around to bug ya'll for a while. All good!
good news indeed!
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 11:43 AM   #3393
special-K
Special Order

Great news, Dale.

Tim

Old 11-24-2022, 01:18 PM   #3394
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Thanks guys! Stocker I had more than one "Barley Pop"......lol

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 02:21 PM   #3395
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Good for you Dale.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 04:19 PM   #3396
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Cancer-free is a great thing!

I'm finally assembling the table saw I bought back in April. Had to clear out enough room to assemble it.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 11-24-2022, 07:56 PM   #3397
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Was down at the horse farm early first day of rifle saw nothing so at 3 I cut some wood . Got some RTB wood and as I was leaving right at the driveway to the farm this guy must have gotten hit . Nice big 8 pointer .
After we finished chatting today, my next door neighbor went into town in his '85 K25 pickup. When he got back he said he had to go cut a deer up. Coming home one was on the side of the road hit and dying. He put it out of misery and loaded it up. Now that's something to be thankful for. Earlier he said he couldn't wait till tomorrow, 1st day of rifle.

Tim

Old 11-24-2022, 08:33 PM   #3398
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Put the second wing and the router table extension on my new table saw. I've had it since April, but had no room to assemble or use it. Sold my old table saw, and moved some tool boxes and the old router table to temporary storage. I contacted the saw manufacturer because a bunch of fastener hardware is just plain missing. I'll get that sometime next week and finish building it. Still don't really have room, but once I put my carving bench and tools in their final place, there'll be plenty of room.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 11-24-2022, 11:11 PM   #3399
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Put the second wing and the router table extension on my new table saw. I've had it since April, but had no room to assemble or use it. Sold my old table saw, and moved some tool boxes and the old router table to temporary storage. I contacted the saw manufacturer because a bunch of fastener hardware is just plain missing. I'll get that sometime next week and finish building it. Still don't really have room, but once I put my carving bench and tools in their final place, there'll be plenty of room.
Sounds similar to my situation created by clearing out my barn so I can move it. I got it moved so now tightening it up. My woodshop tools have been "no access" for far too long.

Today I flashed the roof where the lean-to connects. One more step toward moving back in for a fresh start placing things in the best place vs before when it was a 30 year accumulation.

Tim

Old 11-24-2022, 11:32 PM   #3400
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Sounds similar to my situation created by clearing out my barn so I can move it. I got it moved so now tightening it up. My woodshop tools have been "no access" for far too long.

Today I flashed the roof where the lean-to connects. One more step toward moving back in for a fresh start placing things in the best place vs before when it was a 30 year accumulation.
It's always nice to have things where we want them and can use them. I'm so close to done with the repairs and painting on the rental house! Carpet cleaning and some flooring (both of which are being done by someone else, thankyouverymuch), and then, out of our hands. It's in LA, and my main worry is that squatters will get in. It's a big problem, and it takes months to get people out if they manage to get in. I'm hoping that being there every day and showing a presence will deter that. Barring that, I'll just get a bunch of friends to go and party the place down so that the squatters will leave.

Simi Valley, CA