The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2022, 08:46 PM   #1
NDM

1971 Bucket list blazer Seat solution!!!!Score!

Score!!!!!

I was at the junk yard looking for a solution to the seat belt issues in this truck. I am not comfy with just having lap belts for me and my family. I was considering Chevy Tahoe seats since they have the belt inside the seat. That turned into considering Trailblazer seats...then Cadillac cts seats....and as I was walking around the yard, I saw them. I abandoned the idea of having the belts in the seat for a great reason.

What was now in front of me was what I believe to be the absolute perfect seats for my blazer!! They came from a 2006 Mercedes R350 family van looking thing. Most of all, The seats cost me a whopping $69 for all of them!!!!!

The list of pros is long.

-Among the greatest reasons is that the seats...All of them.. can fold flat. That matters because I plan to make a a backflip type tonneau cover to cover the rear seat area when not in use. This will be to conceal any items that I have in the back as well as to protect the seats from un necessary exposure to the elements. I will be able to simply drop the seats below the rail whenever I am topless and there is no rear passengers.

-Second, the seats get super hottttt in the sun. By folding them down when I get out of the car, I will be able to keep the sun off of them. Again, I will mention that all of the seats fold flat.

-The seats are in pristine condition and there will be no upholstery needed. I even got all the plastic trim panels with damage.

-The rails are flat in for the front seats. The rears will either require a simple spacer or I will do a simple modification to bolt them in.

-All the seats can recline and the seats bound for the front are able to slide forward to allow rear passengers entry.

-The seats are build as single units so I can either bolt them in to resemble a bench or I can mount them as buckets.

-Nicely bolstered...All of them.

The list goes on and on.....

There is only one con-

-I still have to figure out a seat belt solution. I think I will be buying some 3/4 point belts from here though. That would solve the situation. ​https://www.wescoperformance.com/4-p...-belt.html#top

So there you go. I will edit the post to add the photos from my phone in a minute.

EDIT____Here is the link for the video that I made to show the seats once I had them home from the yard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tmdnIaqw38&t=28s

Last edited by NDM; 06-29-2022 at 10:17 AM.
NDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:42 PM   #2
NDM

Re: 1971 Bucket list blazer Seat solution!!!!Score!

I am currently working on a solution to upload the photos. This site does not work like the other sites that I am used to.
Old 06-27-2022, 05:33 PM   #3
'68OrangeSunshine

Cool. I need good buckets bad.
The PO of my '71 Jimmy mounted some '80s Camaro/Firebird buckets in front, but they are rotting out. That design saw the foam encapsulating the wire-spring suspension inside. As the foam wears off, the sharp wire ends are exposed. Not fixable, only replaceable. Planned obsolesence. I'd look for better Firebird seats, if the PO had not fixed the seat mounts on blocks of wooden 4x4s, which are also splitting. So that whole approach is a wash.
I know I'm KIA in a high speed collision.
When I was in college, my Dad let me use a '61 Mercedes 190. That car had the most comfortable seats ever. Especially on long drives. Passenger front seat would recline to level with the back seat, so it made a great bed. Always impressed with the quality of Mercedes seats.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:28 PM   #4
NDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
The PO of my '71 Jimmy mounted some '80s Camaro/Firebird buckets in front, but they are rotting out. That design saw the foam encapsulating the wire-spring suspension inside. As the foam wears off, the sharp wire ends are exposed. Not fixable, only replaceable. Planned obsolesence. I'd look for better Firebird seats, if the PO had not fixed the seat mounts on blocks of wooden 4x4s, which are also splitting. So that whole approach is a wash.
When I was in college, my Dad let me use a '61 Mercedes 190. That car had the most comfortable seats ever. Especially on long drives. Passenger front seat would recline to level with the back seat, so it made a great bed. Always impressed with the quality of Mercedes seats.
Once I find a place to host my photos you will see that these are damn near perfect for the Blazer. Only downfall....no seatbelts iside the seat like a suburban/Tahoe.

Btw.. the trailblazer/envoy seats would be perfect too. The cadilac cts seats had belts inside too. They were lower too. It is hard to find ones that are not damaged though. I was quite surprised to find the ones I picked up.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:18 AM   #5
NDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
I added a youtube video to my first post. Sorry for my super dork voice.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:53 PM   #6
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDM View Post
I added a youtube video to my first post. Sorry for my super dork voice.
I'll have to check it out. I pretty much live on You Tube. I chopped off my satellite dish TV years ago. It's my main entertainment.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote