The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2020, 03:37 AM   #51
jaydex

Re: Amp Research Powerstep

I am thinking on trying this out over the winter. Wondering what part number to order? Is it just the wrangler jk 4 door 2007-2018? With some modifications as per the thread? Also interested in seeing finished pics.
jaydex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:59 PM   #52
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstorm View Post
Wanted to use a pair too but did not see a good way to mount them . So I went old school loop steps
old thread I know, but Im looking for a set of steps like these...are they Bully steps, and are they AS 600 part number?
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 03:50 PM   #53
amcgeh01

Well, after reading this thread a few days ago, it provided enough info to help me figure out an issue with my current steps plan. I have some older Kodiak sidewinder steps that I was hoping to install on my rig but the damn rocker boxes messed up everything so to avoid way too much re-fabbing I started searching for jeep wrangler electric steps and found a set locally for a great price, so I drove 2 hours to go get them.

They are made by Aries automotive...: https://www.ariesautomotive.com/runn...running-boards

so, although I can't use the same brackets as they were for the Wrangler 4 door version, my friend who is a fabricator said they would be alot easier to install than the sidewinders, so we are going down that road. We may have to use nutserts and make new brackets and of course cut some of the length off one end since the end caps are removable.

Last edited by amcgeh01; 02-20-2022 at 03:57 PM.
amcgeh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 05:35 PM   #54
coppertone

Those boards look good. When we made the brackets that hold the boards we connected them to the bottom of the cab not the frame. I was concerned about the frame twisting and flexing on turns and such. Just something to think about. Good luck
coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 01:28 PM   #55
harrij4

After having this particular project sidelined for a couple years because of a bunch of other projects ...oh, and a global pandemic... I'm finally ready to go! I ordered the Amp Research 75122-01A configuration for a few reasons:

- Brackets shouldn't require machining since they seem to mount horizontally
- Uses default ground-switching to trigger instead of OBDII
- Default step width is pretty close to the rocker-length on a '72 K5
- I thought the rounded step profile better matched the K5 than the sharper flat/edgy profile

I think I'm going to take a similar approach to the person earlier in this thread who made a plate/angle bracket, but we'll see. Should I document the process in this thread, or a new one?
harrij4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 08:58 PM   #56
Blazerowner

I would document it here. I’m definitely wanting to do this in the future myself. Hope it goes well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrij4 View Post
After having this particular project sidelined for a couple years because of a bunch of other projects ...oh, and a global pandemic... I'm finally ready to go! I ordered the Amp Research 75122-01A configuration for a few reasons:

- Brackets shouldn't require machining since they seem to mount horizontally
- Uses default ground-switching to trigger instead of OBDII
- Default step width is pretty close to the rocker-length on a '72 K5
- I thought the rounded step profile better matched the K5 than the sharper flat/edgy profile

I think I'm going to take a similar approach to the person earlier in this thread who made a plate/angle bracket, but we'll see. Should I document the process in this thread, or a new one?
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:12 PM   #57
harrij4

Giddy up!

It'll be a couple weeks till I get to designing and fabricating. I'll document everything here, including prints/designs in case anyone is interested.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2022, 08:54 PM   #58
Richard

Where did you get this set? They seem to be out of stock everywhere. Have been looking to purchase for some time now.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:56 PM   #59
harrij4

Ordered them from Auto Accessories Garage dot com. I was able to get them to discount them too, which is challenging since AMP had a minimum price policy.
Old 05-06-2022, 02:33 PM   #60
Blazerowner

Very nice. Can’t wait to see the progress.
Old 05-07-2022, 12:49 AM   #61
72FamilyBlazer

Following. Looking forward to the progress
72FamilyBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 08:08 PM   #62
harrij4

Good progress today. Dry fit and cut-down of the step extrusions. Mounts are shimmed to reflect 3/16" steel for the brackets. Good tight fit! There are some challenges with the stock mounting holes that may require some machining to be perfect, but this looks eminently doable.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2022, 10:40 PM   #63
Blazerowner

Looks great.
Old 05-24-2022, 04:29 PM   #64
harrij4

I just finished the bracket design and ordered the parts. I'm going for "overbuilt" but wanted to make sure I kept the bracket weight down to ~25lb per side. I'm using 3/16" x 8" flat bar stock for the bottom which nicely spaced the steps down enough that they don't hit the body when retracted, and a 3/16" x 4.5" flat bar inside the torsion boxes. I'm welding weld-nuts onto the upper plate and using 1/8" ribs to maximize stiffness. I'll weld everything up and send it off to powder coating before installing.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2022, 02:46 AM   #65
Blazerowner

Any plans to make more brackets?
Old 07-18-2022, 11:39 AM   #66
harrij4

After a lengthy wait for my stock to arrive, I was able to trim all of my components this weekend, do some of the more precise drilling, and dry fit the assemblies. Now it's time to pickle the steel and get to welding!

Note, in one of these pictures you can see a challenge that isn't obvious when researching the steps - the mounting faces of the brackets aren't actually square! Evidently the pinch welds on a JK Wrangler are angled relative to the ground plane. So, the mounting flange on the bracket needs to be angled too. PITA
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2022, 09:40 PM   #67
Blazerowner

What are you using to make the cuts?
Old 07-25-2022, 12:06 PM   #68
harrij4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post
What are you using to make the cuts?
I have one of the 8" Milwaukee metal-cutting circular saws that I'm using for all of the longer straight cuts. Some of the little things I've used a chop saw. For radiuses and things like that I've just been using a carbide bur and an abrasive pad on the die grinder.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:58 PM   #69
Blazerowner

Nice. I have a metal chop saw myself. Definitely looks like good progress.
Old 08-18-2022, 12:20 PM   #70
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcgeh01 View Post
Well, after reading this thread a few days ago, it provided enough info to help me figure out an issue with my current steps plan. I have some older Kodiak sidewinder steps that I was hoping to install on my rig but the damn rocker boxes messed up everything so to avoid way too much re-fabbing I started searching for jeep wrangler electric steps and found a set locally for a great price, so I drove 2 hours to go get them.

They are made by Aries automotive...: https://www.ariesautomotive.com/runn...running-boards

so, although I can't use the same brackets as they were for the Wrangler 4 door version, my friend who is a fabricator said they would be alot easier to install than the sidewinders, so we are going down that road. We may have to use nutserts and make new brackets and of course cut some of the length off one end since the end caps are removable.
So what ever happened to your Aries step install?

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 04:59 PM   #71
kwj427

hi harrij4,
are you planning making these brackets for the steps?
i would like them for my 73 blazer, and my 87 k30
thanks kenny

615-476-3330
kenny.jernigan@genmills.com
79 scout SSII
kwj427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 01:11 PM   #72
harrij4

This project is moving along at a glacial pace. All bracket fabrication is nearly complete. However, I realized today that for final fitting (which will determine the inboard-outboard positioning of the brackets and therefore drilling locations in the torsion boxes) I needed to have the steps retracted by the actuators to know exactly how far in they tuck. You see, these linkages sit against little rubber bump-stops both when retracted and extended. So, one needs to know EXACTLY how much the actuators compress the bumpers when retracted to know where the steps will sit against the rockers.

Anyway, the silver lining to this requirement is that I got to hook everything up and test actuation while bolted to the brackets. So far so good!

Here's a little video I took
https://youtube.com/shorts/jPjJAI9BFsE?feature=share

Next weekend should give me enough time to drill everything and weld in the weldnuts. Then it's off to powder coat!
Old 09-26-2022, 12:43 PM   #73
harrij4

It wouldn't be a project without at least one "oops". I was test-fitting the interior portion of the brackets when I realized the diagonal rod inside the torsion boxes prevented the bracket from slotting in place. Luckily I was able to trim the back corner and get it to drop down. Then the stupid thing wouldn't sit flush against the outer wall of the box. Turns out there was a bolt hiding out of sight in the corner. Again, luckily it was in a place that didn't interfere with any of the through bolts. A bit more trimming, and boom - perfect fit.

Now I just need to clean/paint the inside of the torsion boxes and then start drilling/bolting.
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2022, 02:37 PM   #74
harrij4

Brackets returned from powder coating a couple weeks ago. The larger bracket goes on the outside of the torsion box. The smaller bracket with the weld nuts goes on the inside of the torsion box.

I installed everything this last weekend and they work great! I'll try to put together a master guide post with the final prints for all 4 bracket components.
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2022, 11:07 PM   #75
Blazerowner

Very nice. I Would love to have some measurements and parts list for what it took to put everything together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrij4 View Post
Brackets returned from powder coating a couple weeks ago. The larger bracket goes on the outside of the torsion box. The smaller bracket with the weld nuts goes on the inside of the torsion box.

I installed everything this last weekend and they work great! I'll try to put together a master guide post with the final prints for all 4 bracket components.