The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2015, 11:49 PM   #1
mcgoo26

Time to start my project

So a bit of history on this one. This is my grandfather's C-10 which was purchased in '76 I believe. Since then it has remained in the family. I took possession of the truck last November and have been eager to restore it. Overall the truck is not in too bad of shape, but in need of some TLC. Anyhow, in the next month or two I will be sending her off to get cleaned up and repainted. I want to stick with the current color as much as possible, but that is for a later post. As much as I would like to dig into the body work and all myself, I am restricted on what I can knock out. You see, I live in a community controlled by a HOA. Recently, the HOA pitched a fit because my tags were expired. Truck is on private property and they pitch a fit-whatever. I managed to cram the truck in my garage. Problem solved...for now. Bottom line is, I cant go all out as much as I want to with out getting a nastygram. So today, I started taking parts off to minimize what will need to be done in paint and body. Today, I started in the cab. I started pulling the old carpet out and cleaning things up. Here in the next couple of weeks Ill start pulling apart the firewall pad and heater box and so on. I plan to post more pics as I go along. Any tips, tricks or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2015, 11:52 PM   #2
mcgoo26

Re: Time to start my project

More of the cab...For the most part, pretty solid. A lot of surface rust on the driver side; mainly where the kick panel and floor panel meet. But I dont think it is too bad...
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2015, 11:54 PM   #3
mcgoo26

Now for the good stuff.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2015, 12:09 AM   #4
mcgoo26

Now for some of the junk...If you look at the receipt, in 1994, gas in So-Cal was going for 1.27 a gallon. Also found the tripod jack and handle. Before I really started digging in to things I found the factory build sheet. I have since recreated it. That is all for now, I will ramp it up as the everything takes shape. Cant wait. Again, if anyone has any advice or pointers, Im all ears.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Truck build sheet 1.pdf (79.5 KB, 99 views)
Old 02-06-2016, 09:53 PM   #5
mcgoo26

So its been a little while since I started my project and I was able to get the funds together to strip the truck down and send it off to have paint and body work done. I live in a HOA and they have griped at me in the past for having the C-10 in my driveway with expired tags so I had to cram the truck in my garage. Dumb. Anyhow. I stripped off what I needed to and removed the engine and transmission and had the old girl towed away for a face lift. While she is out getting done up, I wanted to get the engine and especially the transmission taken care of (I have no reverse or neutral) while I have the available space so I can drop everything back in and get it back in the garage and work on everything else like re-doing the interior and re-wiring the truck and so on.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2016, 10:08 PM   #6
mcgoo26

So, for the last two week or so I have been picking away at rebuilding the transmission. I can see why it cost so much tho have done. Overall, not bad considering it is my first rebuild. I purchased the book on Amazon and I found it pretty helpful for the novice like myself who has never tore down or rebuilt a transmission. Honestly, after I started to rebuild it was fairly easy. Just make sure you have a good set of punches to remove and replace bushings and a press (to undo the spring cages) or fab up something (as suggested in the book). Once I tore the transmission down, it was very clear it was done. Friction plates were worn smooth and a few were burned and fused together
I used a kit from Summit that had just about everything one would need for a simple rebuild.

Summit Racing Automatic Transmission Rebuild Kit
SUM-705000--Kit which includes 9 frictions - forward, direct, 3 frictions - intermediate, 5 frictions - low reverse, 9 steels - forward, direct, 3 steels - intermediate, 5 steels - low reverse, 1 -band - 2nd gear, 1 filter, and 1 bushing kit.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2016, 10:16 PM   #7
mcgoo26

Next on the agenda is the engine. It has been reworked in the last five years or so. Problem is, I don't know what exactly has been worked. It ran solid before it was pulled and for the most part seemed good-to-go. Debating on tearing down and rebuilding so I know what is in it or just leaving it alone and doing a little preventative maintenance while it is out and components are easy access. For now, I just gave it a quick degrease and will figure out what to do later. Thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2016, 04:20 AM   #8
swamp rat

I'll be interested to see the rust repair on this one!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:21 AM   #9
88fordf150

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgoo26 View Post
So, for the last two week or so I have been picking away at rebuilding the transmission. I can see why it cost so much tho have done. Overall, not bad considering it is my first rebuild. I purchased the book on Amazon and I found it pretty helpful for the novice like myself who has never tore down or rebuilt a transmission. Honestly, after I started to rebuild it was fairly easy. Just make sure you have a good set of punches to remove and replace bushings and a press (to undo the spring cages) or fab up something (as suggested in the book). Once I tore the transmission down, it was very clear it was done. Friction plates were worn smooth and a few were burned and fused together
I used a kit from Summit that had just about everything one would need for a simple rebuild.

Summit Racing Automatic Transmission Rebuild Kit
SUM-705000--Kit which includes 9 frictions - forward, direct, 3 frictions - intermediate, 5 frictions - low reverse, 9 steels - forward, direct, 3 steels - intermediate, 5 steels - low reverse, 1 -band - 2nd gear, 1 filter, and 1 bushing kit.
Is there a transmission shop in your area that can dyno your trans before you install it?
Old 02-07-2016, 11:50 AM   #10
mcgoo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88fordf150 View Post
Is there a transmission shop in your area that can dyno your trans before you install it?
Good point. I will have to look around. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:50 AM   #11
mcgoo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
I'll be interested to see the rust repair on this one!
I am too. The shop is suppose to start on it next week some time.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #12
kehstr

subscribed to keep watching
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:52 PM   #13
Coley

Smile Re: Time to start my project

With respect to the engine...you mentioned it ran solid.
It may not need anything overly substantial unless you really want to dig into it.
I would start by giving it a compression test and see how close the cylinders are to one another and a 150 psi benchmark.
This will give you a reasonable datum to decide from.
Did the engine offer good performance? This might be the time to be a new/improved cam and lifter set in it to get a little more oomph.
Also might be a time to check to see if the timing chain is in good shape....double roller?...and also an easy task to re-gasket it while you have it out to seal up any oil leaks, etc.
Looks good so far!...keep the updates coming.
All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:54 PM   #14
mcgoo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
With respect to the engine...you mentioned it ran solid.
It may not need anything overly substantial unless you really want to dig into it.
I would start by giving it a compression test and see how close the cylinders are to one another and a 150 psi benchmark.
This will give you a reasonable datum to decide from.
Did the engine offer good performance? This might be the time to be a new/improved cam and lifter set in it to get a little more oomph.
Also might be a time to check to see if the timing chain is in good shape....double roller?...and also an easy task to re-gasket it while you have it out to seal up any oil leaks, etc.
Looks good so far!...keep the updates coming.
All Good
Coley
Well. In response I decided to rework the engine. Probably a good thing considering that this is what I've seen so far.
Posted via Mobile Device
mcgoo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:09 PM   #15
mcgoo26

Quote:
Well. In response I decided to rework the engine. Probably a good thing considering that this is what I've seen so far.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry. Having issues posting pics.
Posted via Mobile Device
mcgoo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:45 PM   #16
mcgoo26

Ok here we go...
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2016, 09:48 PM   #17
butler57

I really admire you for tearing into that tranny like you have. That's a gutsy play. Truck will be great when you're done.
butler57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:49 PM   #18
mcgoo26

From what I can tell using calipers, the engine hasn't been bored out yet. If I recall, a 350 had four inch cylinder bore. Which is what I measured. Trying to figure out which direction to proceed. Curious: what is an average going rate for having the block and heads machined. I understand there are many variables, just looking for ball park. Any input is very much appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2016, 09:53 PM   #19
mcgoo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by butler57 View Post
I really admire you for tearing into that tranny like you have. That's a gutsy play. Truck will be great when you're done.
Thanks. I really hope it works out in the end. In all, I didn't think it was too bad, but then again, I was able to take my time. Its not like it was a daily driver.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:32 PM   #20
El Dorado Jim

nice truck, I will be following your build, and HOA's are a pain in the rear, I would never live where there is a HOA or CC&R's, cannot stand someone telling me what to do on my property.....
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:36 PM   #21
mcgoo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim View Post
nice truck, I will be following your build, and HOA's are a pain in the rear, I would never live where there is a HOA or CC&R's, cannot stand someone telling me what to do on my property.....
Appreciate you following. Yeah, the HOA is a pain. I cant understand how low the property value would have dropped on mine and surrounding properties due to expired tags on a vehicle in my driveway that was intact and not an eye soar.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:13 PM   #22
Joesjunk

subscribed
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe 91k original paint
72 Cheyenne/30 Dually
69 Camaro SS396 4-speed
13 GMC 2500HD Duramax I bought new
05 Jeep Wrangler "Willys Edition" 12k miles (I bought new)
85 3/4 ton 4x4 Scottsdale 33k miles original paint
86 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 454 restored
80 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 9,434 original miles!! original paint
95 GMC 1 ton dually 4x4 my dad bought new
95 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4, regular cab 454, 31k original miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 6.0L 67k miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 8.1L 28k miles
2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 regular cab Diesel 93k miles

67-72 Parts for sale
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:49 PM   #23
Freddo

Thumbs up Re: Time to start my project

Quote:
Originally Posted by butler57 View Post
I Agree!
Great start on your truck. Sounds like your HOA needs some new blood!
Keep on Keeping on!
Freddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:40 AM   #24
cooperhw

Quote:
Appreciate you following. Yeah, the HOA is a pain. I cant understand how low the property value would have dropped on mine and surrounding properties due to expired tags on a vehicle in my driveway that was intact and not an eye soar.
I hear you on the HOA. I have had more that a couple "little reminders" of the rules when I have to leave a vehicle outside here in Mesa AZ. Really not the single vehicle like yours or mine, but the rule is in place so the guy across the street doesn't have 3 dead cars sitting there at all times with one in the air getting a motor/trans swap, one getting parted out, and one runs and is for sale. I get it, but a P.I.T.A it is for sure.
Nice truck by the way.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #25
SKT

Progress is looking good!

SKT is offline   Reply With Quote