The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2021, 06:12 PM   #1
conoco

For anyone looking to Go with Holley Sniper EFI

I had been waiting a long time for the "Refurbished" Holley sniper units to be back in stock, The price point is a lot less than a brand new unit (400 dollars cheaper). Well they are finally in an I bought one!! SO stoked to get this on my 383.

Just wanted to let people know incase you were on the fence. I was told they go fast, which is probably why I have waited 6 months for them to be back in stock. I signed up for there notifications on when they were available and got it this morning. I also bought the fuel system for the tank and pump. I have also read so many reviews about the refurbished units being gone through and quality checked more than the new units. They are completely taken apart and everything is replaced. It comes with a brand new wiring harness and also the handheld is updated to the current software. I will update this post when I get it in. Super excited!!

I am in no way a rep for holley. Infact I was going to go with the Edelbrock pro flo XT. But they have been out of stock for almost everything for months. Even there new stuff and they refused to answer my emails when I filled out there contact sheet.. So holley it is!!
conoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:40 PM   #2
70STOVEBOLT

Re: For anyone looking to Go with Holley Sniper EFI

Sub’d for results

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Coming soon: EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:10 AM   #3
d4hartley

I installed the sniper on my 383. After a little fine tuning its well worth the money. Starts right up and I can change whatever on the fly. I run the hyperspark timing control which makes it even better. You should look into buying the timing control in the future also. Make sure you read all installation instructions to avoid any of the problems people have.
d4hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:12 PM   #4
biketopia

You'll love it. I have one on my 427 in my Camaro that will go in my c10 eventually. The timing control is very nice option to have, the hyperspark set up all works really well together. Use good plug wires, like MSD or MSD, or maybe MSD...and new plugs. A lot of the problems people have are from poor installation or assuming their ignition is ok with an ECU close by and it causes interference, they get frustrated and toss the carb back on. I also got a refurb unit back in November. While you're waiting on it down load the software and play with it if you want to get into refining the tune, which you really should, weather it's you or you pay some one. And absolutely download the 70 plus page full install instructions and read them front to back, the quick start is nice, the full directions help, a lot!

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:08 PM   #5
sanddunecoon

good to know, i was thinking about it as well. i saw the title of the thread and was afraid it was going to be a disappointment.
Are you guys seeing any better MPG with this setup?
sanddunecoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:47 PM   #6
MikeB

I have been very happy with Holley "refurbished" parts at their eBay store. Every one of them from carbs to intake manifolds have been like new. I suspect most had never been installed. I mean there were zero signs of use.

Many years ago when Lunati was part of Holley, I bought a close-out cam from them. Turned out some of the lobes had a little porosity, so they sent me another one AND a free set of USA-made lifters for my trouble!

The best was when I bought an intake manifold with a casting that was a bit "cobby". They sent me another nicer one and didn't even ask me to return the first one, which I eventually sold. Very nice folks!
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 02:33 PM   #7
jimijam00

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddunecoon View Post
Are you guys seeing any better MPG with this setup?
No, and I have not done the progressive linkage mod. The mod makes the Sniper act more like a traditional carb with primaries open, then delayed secondaries as needed. The Sniper is wide open from the start, which cannot be that great for mileage. I suppose if someone had a sh**ty tune on their carb, they would get better mpg with the Sniper right off the bat. Some people use every bet of that snappy throttle response the Sniper gives them, so no bueno on the mpg savings. Good luck.

Oh yeah, if you get the "whistle" and don't like it, just get longer carb studs and the appropriate 4 hole spacer and install.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:02 AM   #8
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
71 c-10 Long Bed, getting dropped on the ground with an LS, eventually...Scratch that, getting the 427SBC out of the Camaro
Great to hear you're going with a 427 SBC! My 69 C10 is a great cruiser with its mild 350, but I'd sure like to have more cubes. Maybe a 383 or even a BBC someday. Just because.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:32 AM   #9
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Great to hear you're going with a 427 SBC! My 69 C10 is a great cruiser with its mild 350, but I'd sure like to have more cubes. Maybe a 383 or even a BBC someday. Just because.
Yea I sold the LS2 and I'm building a turbo LS for the race car sooo makes sense to move the SBC over to the truck, that's also why I threw a sniper on it.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
Old 09-27-2021, 10:34 AM   #10
68 P.O.S.

You have a link to where these are, or is it just the Holley website?

I see they make a Sniper Q-Jet now
Old 09-27-2021, 02:40 PM   #11
biketopia

https://www.holley.com/products/clearance_parts/

just gotta watch em, or do like OP and sign up for e-mail notifications for when they are in stock. They do go quick, so if you want one, you can't always be picky about color.

*note as of 2:40pm EST today they showed the shinny finish in stock in the clearance section.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
Old 09-27-2021, 02:53 PM   #12
70STOVEBOLT

Holley’s website showed they have the refurb'd shiny units in stock when I checked last Friday for $800.00

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Coming soon: EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23

Last edited by 70STOVEBOLT; 09-27-2021 at 09:26 PM.
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:51 AM   #13
my67c20

Did it, love it, check out my write up

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=my67c20
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:05 AM   #14
KW5413

I have the Holley Sniper on my '76 Cutlass. Absolutely love it. Went back and forth on adding it to my '70 Nova SS but, sold it before I pulled the trigger. My C10 is two pumps and start so, I doubt I will add EFI anytime soon.

I am fortunate that my local classic car mechanic and his General Manager, are both certified Holley EFI techs...and they are really, really good. I recommend that unless you are pretty savvy about these things you have a certified tech install / tune any brand EFI. You will love the difference.

Good luck and be safe.
KW5413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:42 AM   #15
Oregon 1967 GMC

Can't wait for your review once you get it in. (That's what she said ��) I have a 283 Chevelle I plan on first. Please tell what intake manifold you go with.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:37 PM   #16
conoco

Everything is indeed new. All the wiring is all new, the screen looks new, O2 sensor and clamps are new and the efi doesn't appear to even have scratched or wear from anytype of installation.

I also decided to purchase the hyper spark distro, coil and ignition box. My wife is gonna be pissed though lol. I can't wait to fly home and install everything. Here are the pics as they came.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2021, 01:34 PM   #17
jimijam00

Quote:
Originally Posted by conoco View Post
I also decided to purchase the hyper spark distro, coil and ignition box.
Well played, sir.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:52 AM   #18
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4hartley View Post
I installed the sniper on my 383. After a little fine tuning its well worth the money. Starts right up and I can change whatever on the fly. I run the hyperspark timing control which makes it even better. You should look into buying the timing control in the future also. Make sure you read all installation instructions to avoid any of the problems people have.
I took your advice and bought the hyperspark package. It's will be interesting to change the timing on the fly. I hope I can get it to run a little smoother. You have any types for the programming, installation, set up etc? I am going to buy the fuel system from Holley this week. Kinda crap that it's so expensive but everything I need is in the master kit so I don't have to chance other parts. Anyway I'm all ears for suggestions on making the install easier and playing around with the programming. Thank you sir.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:55 AM   #19
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon 1967 GMC View Post
Can't wait for your review once you get it in. (That's what she said ��) I have a 283 Chevelle I plan on first. Please tell what intake manifold you go with.
For now I am sticking with my Edelbrock performer dual pane manifold. The Holley tech is certain there system will run just fine on the dual pane. So, if it indeed works good I will keep it. If it doesn't for some reason I will more than likely go with the airgap. I will also being using my 1.5 inch spacer that I currently use. I have read that it's a good idea. I will let you know how everything goes!!
Old 10-06-2021, 06:57 AM   #20
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67c20 View Post
Did it, love it, check out my write up

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=my67c20
This is awesome! Thank you for sharing!! So excited!!
Old 10-06-2021, 10:46 AM   #21
d4hartley

It took about a day to run the fuel and wiring in my truck. There's pictures on my build thread on my profile of where I mounted the coil and ignition box. Mine was on a 72 so when I did the fuel supply and return I just connected the hoses under the cab where the lines come out since it already had a return line from factory. If yours doesn't I know people drill a return line into their sending unit and works fine. Make sure you run your wiring organized and according to the instructions or you'll have problems with interference. I put a loom over mine and ran it as far away from the sniper then tapped into the fuse box for switched power. Had issues at the start from a bad 02 sensor but now it works just fine. You can pm me if you have any questions or need more details and I can send some pics.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:45 PM   #22
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4hartley View Post
It took about a day to run the fuel and wiring in my truck. There's pictures on my build thread on my profile of where I mounted the coil and ignition box. Mine was on a 72 so when I did the fuel supply and return I just connected the hoses under the cab where the lines come out since it already had a return line from factory. If yours doesn't I know people drill a return line into their sending unit and works fine. Make sure you run your wiring organized and according to the instructions or you'll have problems with interference. I put a loom over mine and ran it as far away from the sniper then tapped into the fuse box for switched power. Had issues at the start from a bad 02 sensor but now it works just fine. You can pm me if you have any questions or need more details and I can send some pics.
I will more than likely follow your set up. I too have a 72 with your exact set up. I think I will plumb the return hose just like you did in the sending unit, I don't wanna have to make a new hole at the filler neck. The only thing I am going to change is I won't use the clamps for the o2 sensor. I ordered the pre-curved o2 sensor bung and will weld it on.

I have read mixed reviews on where to place the o2 sensor so maybe you have some insite. Some of the videos I have watched the bung is right after the collector on the header its self and some have installed it 10" away from the header collector. I know they have to be installed at a slight angle for condensation but was unsure about the best location.

Also, do you have any input on if it would be a good idea to put an o2 sensor on the other side of the exhaust also? would holley be able to read two sensors or would it just pull data for 1 and then I would need a separate gauge for the other side to compare too? Thanks again for sharing your post, lots of good info and it looks like it turned out great. Cold starts here is Alaska suck so I am really hoping this makes it better.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:05 PM   #23
d4hartley

I got my 02 sensor welded in 10 inches after the collector and angled up. No problems at all with it. The wire for it is plenty long for the 10 inches. The regular sniper can only read 1 02 sensor I'm pretty sure which works just fine. I think the super sniper or higher can read 2 different sensors someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:43 PM   #24
biketopia

The only holley system that can read and process dual 02's is the dominator. Everything else with location is all just fine and dandy. I have sensors on both side, one is the holley, one is to a wide band gauge because I have one is the only reason for that. Just pick a side that's easier to route the wires too and you'll be good to go. OP, if you haven't already, download the full instructions off the site and read it over multiple times, it helps a lot to understand the specifics of what you're doing.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
Old 10-06-2021, 08:23 PM   #25
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
The only holley system that can read and process dual 02's is the dominator. Everything else with location is all just fine and dandy. I have sensors on both side, one is the holley, one is to a wide band gauge because I have one is the only reason for that. Just pick a side that's easier to route the wires too and you'll be good to go. OP, if you haven't already, download the full instructions off the site and read it over multiple times, it helps a lot to understand the specifics of what you're doing.
Going to download them now, thanks! Much appreciated.