The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2015, 07:37 PM   #1
cigar-

Unhappy power steering hose leak

I have a 1971 C-10 truck with a 350 CI motor. When I put the new motor in I bought a new pressure side power steering pump hose. Yes, I made sure I bought a good one. It is made by gates and hopefully not some Chinese made piece of garbage.

From day one I've had a leak on the high side, no matter how tight I wrench the nut on the fitting. I've had the hose out/off and looked at this at least a half dozen times. It's difficult to see if the flare on the hose end matches the seat in the steering box. All I can hope for is that gates knows what they're doing. Maybe not.

The steering box on the truck looks as though it's the original. There's no way that I know of to tell if it's been replaced. My eyes go by the oil and grease that are caked up on everything else on a 43 year old truck!!

Is there supposed to be a small o-ring that sits down inside to help seat the fitting? Am I missing something? Heck....go ahead....call me stupid if you have to. I just want to get my truck back on the road without leaking power steering fluid everywhere.

Thank you in advance.....
cigar- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:24 AM   #2
cigar-

Re: power steering hose leak

65 views and no one has ever had a high side power steerring leak? Really?

The leak is coming from the steering box where the fitting threads in. I have tried a couple of things. First I tightened the heck out of it. That didn't work. Then I made a small loop of steel wire to fit under the nut to apply extra pressure on the fitting that fits into the steering box. That slowed it down but it still leaks. My driveway is ruined.

Has anyone found a reliable source for replacement hoses? I have looked at NAPA and O'Rreilly so far.....
Old 01-27-2015, 02:17 AM   #3
67-72trucks

Here is a reliable source.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=545846
67-72trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:07 AM   #4
Sammy

The problem I had with even aftermarket even quality lines is they never seem to be just bent correctly for me and the line wants to be twisted. My answer was to shorten the line about a half to one inch plus take it to a shop n have a joint put in the middle.
In your case I would replace the fitting in the box with new and then take your new line to a shop and have them put a swivel joint in the middle. Not expensive I think around $10..
Look at my pic the one on the right is the swivel I had put in. Keeps the line from trying to cock at an angle not allowing the fittings to wear from vibration.
Attached Images

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:17 AM   #5
Lee H

The flare probably cracked at parting line. I'd get another, better yet get a Stainless Steel on from pickmup.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:22 AM   #6
Sammy

A shop can pressure test it for you if you have any doubts.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-72trucks View Post
I bought a set of these hoses and sure enough... Poof! No leaks!
Perfect fit and just as described in the thread. I will buy another set when the time comes to replace any other trucks I build. Highly recommend this seller and these lines!
Old 01-27-2015, 04:20 PM   #8
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigar- View Post
I have a 1971 C-10 truck with a 350 CI motor. When I put the new motor in I bought a new pressure side power steering pump hose. Yes, I made sure I bought a good one. It is made by gates and hopefully not some Chinese made piece of garbage.

From day one I've had a leak on the high side, no matter how tight I wrench the nut on the fitting. I've had the hose out/off and looked at this at least a half dozen times. It's difficult to see if the flare on the hose end matches the seat in the steering box. All I can hope for is that gates knows what they're doing. Maybe not.

The steering box on the truck looks as though it's the original. There's no way that I know of to tell if it's been replaced. My eyes go by the oil and grease that are caked up on everything else on a 43 year old truck!!

Is there supposed to be a small o-ring that sits down inside to help seat the fitting? Am I missing something? Heck....go ahead....call me stupid if you have to. I just want to get my truck back on the road without leaking power steering fluid everywhere.

Thank you in advance.....
Did the new engine come with it's own pump?

Did you buy the new hose to fit the pump or fit the pickup?
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:04 PM   #9
cigar-

Ok......now I'm getting somewhere. This is getting good!

I just spoke to Frank about his power steering hoses. He asked a few questions and wants me to have a look at the steering box itself. he's worried someone prior to me may have changed the steering box to a later model box. I don't recall there being an inverted flare fitting in the port for the pressure side hose.

Tonight after work (in the dark of course!!) I will have a look. Meanwhile, is there anyone on here that has access to the correct steering box for a 1971 truck that can photograph the high pressure side port for me? That way I can compare what is correct to what I have. I may have to replace the steering box!!
Old 01-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #10
cigar-

mechanicalman,

The hose I bought was for a 1971 C10 with a 350 V-8. The hose fits fine, even under the inner fender. I am not sure if its' a natural thing or not but the hose seems to be a bit stiff to fit in the contorted shape it needs to be running from the back of the pump to the steering box. But, it fits.

The truck was originally a six cylinder. Sometime before I got it, there was a motor change. It had a 350 V-8 with a bad rod knock so I changed it out with a new crate motor and used the power steering pump and bracket that was on the truck. I also bought a used pump off of a 1971 truck and had that rebuilt just in case. Other than the one port being located in a different spot it looks the same and fits the same. The rebuilt one is still in the box under the bench. I had that one rebuilt because all the rebuilts I saw in the parts stores had all kinds of port locations and they wouldn't fit the bracket I have.

A couple of nights ago when I took the hose out of the steering box, I took a good look into the female fitting on the box. The surface looks like it's machines flat.....not for a flared fitting. The hose on the other hand has a flared fitting. Tonight after work I will look again....real good. If the box has no accommodation for a flared fitting that would have to be the cause of the leak in my opinion.

If anyone else has any ideas, suggestions, etc....please send them along. Photos are ALWAYS a good thing for me !!
Old 01-27-2015, 08:24 PM   #11
mechanicalman

Quote:
mechanicalman,

The hose I bought was for a 1971 C10 with a 350 V-8. The hose fits fine, even under the inner fender. I am not sure if its' a natural thing or not but the hose seems to be a bit stiff to fit in the contorted shape it needs to be running from the back of the pump to the steering box. But, it fits.

The truck was originally a six cylinder. Sometime before I got it, there was a motor change. It had a 350 V-8 with a bad rod knock so I changed it out with a new crate motor and used the power steering pump and bracket that was on the truck. I also bought a used pump off of a 1971 truck and had that rebuilt just in case. Other than the one port being located in a different spot it looks the same and fits the same. The rebuilt one is still in the box under the bench. I had that one rebuilt because all the rebuilts I saw in the parts stores had all kinds of port locations and they wouldn't fit the bracket I have.

A couple of nights ago when I took the hose out of the steering box, I took a good look into the female fitting on the box. The surface looks like it's machines flat.....not for a flared fitting. The hose on the other hand has a flared fitting. Tonight after work I will look again....real good. If the box has no accommodation for a flared fitting that would have to be the cause of the leak in my opinion.

If anyone else has any ideas, suggestions, etc....please send them along. Photos are ALWAYS a good thing for me !!
Look at the old hose and compare it to the new one, if you still have it.

Well, if it's a 71 pump, 71 hose, and it leaks at the gear, I think you are on the right track you might have a later model gear.

Something to consider: If that is a "faster" "variable ratio" steering gear, you might want to leave it on there and put a later model hose on there with a later model flow valve on the pump to match the later model hose. It's just the fitting that screws into the pump that the hose screws into. It takes a 1" wrench or socket if I remember correctly. Just take a 5/8" line wrench and a 1" wrench to the u pull it to get that.

Check how many turns lock to lock, I think my 72 is 4 1/2 turns, and it's standard. If you have like 3 1/8 turns that's a whole lot better than 4 1/2 (tiresome).

If you do have a u pull it, try to find a truck with the same lock to lock ratio as yours and take the flow valve AND the spring. You may need a new O ring, or just use the one off the old flow valve.

And something else to consider IF you have a later model steering gear: Does the drag link sit parallel to the engine cross-member? Just in case someone put the wrong pitman arm on it if they upgraded the gear (easy mistake to make). Since I've been reading this forum I've learned there is a lot of different parts on these front ends that I had always wrongly assumed were pretty much all the same.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2015, 08:30 PM   #12
sduckworth13

You might need this adapter that goes into your high side fitting. I bought this and don't need it, it ended up just being my hose. The flare fitting had been compressed so many times, no matter how tight I tighten the fitting it would leak also.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #13
sduckworth13

Attached Images

Old 01-27-2015, 08:44 PM   #14
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
You might need this adapter that goes into your high side fitting. I bought this and don't need it, it ended up just being my hose. The flare fitting had been compressed so many times, no matter how tight I tighten the fitting it would leak also.
X3. By far the easiest most cost effective way to fix it.

cigar do this instead of the long way around I described.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:16 PM   #15
cigar-

sduckworth....

Where does that brass fitting go? I fit happens to fit into the steering box and the flare fitting from the pressure side hose goes on top of that.....that may be the fix I need. Where does that little thing come from.....Speedway?

I am leaving work now (6:15 pm PST) and heading home to look at the steering box. I want to get to the bottom of this so I drive my ol' beater truck again!! And.....take some photos and "brag" about my lovely truck....HA!!

Hey guys....all of you....thanks for the help and support. I knew there were guys out there that must have had the same or similar problems.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:40 PM   #16
sduckworth13

Quote:
sduckworth....

Where does that brass fitting go? I fit happens to fit into the steering box and the flare fitting from the pressure side hose goes on top of that.....that may be the fix I need. Where does that little thing come from.....Speedway?

I am leaving work now (6:15 pm PST) and heading home to look at the steering box. I want to get to the bottom of this so I drive my ol' beater truck again!! And.....take some photos and "brag" about my lovely truck....HA!!

Hey guys....all of you....thanks for the help and support. I knew there were guys out there that must have had the same or similar problems.
The inverted flare adapter fits inside the power steering pump fitting. The inverted flare end will be inserted facing out of the pump fitting and then you attach your high pressure hose and this will seal up the leak. This adapter is made specifically for the problem your having. If you want this fitting send me your address and I'll get it shipped out tomorrow. It's free to you.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:53 PM   #17
cigar-

Ok....here are some photos....I hope they load up into this post.

One is the steering box as it sits on the frame. Sorry guys....it's a dirty old truck that needs work. It's not a trailer queen. I'll clean it up as needed.

The second is the flared fitting on the end of the pressure side hose. I had fitted a ring of steel wire around the flared end to hopefully place more downward pressure on the flared end into the steering box to seal the leak. It's evident that didn't work.

The last two shots are looking down into the port of the high pressure side of the steering box. The surfaces are machined flat....not flared. My pea sized brain gives me the impression that:
1 - either something is missing in there to make a good seal/fit
2 - I have the wrong hose end
3 - the steering box has been changed somewhere n the past
4 - ?????

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions??
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #18
cigar-

Scott (sduckworth).....the leak is not back at the pump. It's on the steering box at the high pressure side fitting. See the post above with the photos.

Appreciate the help/suggestions though.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:57 PM   #19
mechanicalman

Quote:
Ok....here are some photos....I hope they load up into this post.

One is the steering box as it sits on the frame. Sorry guys....it's a dirty old truck that needs work. It's not a trailer queen. I'll clean it up as needed.

The second is the flared fitting on the end of the pressure side hose. I had fitted a ring of steel wire around the flared end to hopefully place more downward pressure on the flared end into the steering box to seal the leak. It's evident that didn't work.

The last two shots are looking down into the port of the high pressure side of the steering box. The surfaces are machined flat....not flared. My pea sized brain gives me the impression that:
1 - either something is missing in there to make a good seal/fit
2 - I have the wrong hose end
3 - the steering box has been changed somewhere n the past
4 - ?????

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions??
First remove that steel ring from the hose you are trying to fit, it's don't belong there and it will shorten the thread depth which could be a big issue.

Remove the low pressure fitting from the gear and see if it has an o ring. If it does, then so does your high press side.

Check out these before and after pictures of a gear being converted from o ring to flare.

You need:
One #40620 High press side adapter
One #40630 Low press side adapter (or just use the fitting you have with the o ring as the rubber hose don't care it just slides over).
One # 40625 Installation tool. (I heard you could just use a short 1/4" bolt with a flat punch).

Call Lee Manufacturing in California at 888-698-6679 they take all major credit cards.
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #20
cigar-

I'm flabbergasted!! Totally speechless.

You knew exactly what to do. Have you seen this problem before? I don't know why I'm shocked but I am!!

From my feeble memory, there's no o ring on the low pressure side. That side doesn't leak at all.

I just looked up Lee Manufacturing. He's about 8 miles from where I sit at work each day!! Will call them ASAFP.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:17 PM   #21
mechanicalman

Quote:
I'm flabbergasted!! Totally speechless.

You knew exactly what to do. Have you seen this problem before? I don't know why I'm shocked but I am!!

From my feeble memory, there's no o ring on the low pressure side. That side doesn't leak at all.

I just looked up Lee Manufacturing. He's about 8 miles from where I sit at work each day!! Will call them ASAFP.
I've never actually encountered it myself on the gear, but I have heard of it. I just did the research for you on google.

If the gear is o ring style on the pressure side, it will be o ring style on the low side as well. Whoever installed the gear likely removed the rubber hose from the low side fitting without taking the fitting out of the gear. I bet if you do you will see an o ring, but if you do get a new o ring first so you don't create another leak.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:36 PM   #22
cigar-

Talking Re: power steering hose leak

As I think I posted earlier, they are about 8 miles from my work. I will dropping by them on my way in tomorrow morning. The owner's wife was SO accommodating and knowledgeable.

She did tell me from the photos I shared that the steering gear on my truck is not the original one. I'm not sure (nor is she) what year truck it's from but it should work with those ferrules installed this weekend.

Thanks again and will keep you all posted!!
Old 01-28-2015, 11:15 PM   #23
sduckworth13

Cool, good luck. I know it is a real pain having a power steering fluid trail from your driveway to all the way down the street.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:32 PM   #24
Lee H

Glad your getting it worked out. Did not realize you had a mismatched components.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:59 PM   #25
cigar-

Wink Re: power steering hose leak

This issue has been a real good learning experience for me. In hopes of possibly helping out others, I am going to take the liberty of sharing what I've learned. This may be redundant but I hope not. My intention is for this to be enlightening and instructional.

Not having done an in depth investigation (yet) on my truck, I have to make some assumptions. I do know the truck was built in the Fremont, California plant. Originally the truck was a six cylinder with a three speed shift on the column. Now is where the guess work comes in. Since it has the heater only (no AC) and an AM radio, I have assume this truck was a base model. That would lead me to feel it originally was built with manual steering.

When I bought the truck it had been converted to a 350 CID V8 and a floor shift (yuk!!). It did at also have power steering at this time. Now that I have identified the steering gear as being of a 73 and later truck, I believe the conversion was done around the same time as the motor.

After having very educational discussions with Lee Manufacturing in Sun Valley, California, I have found the difference between 67-72 power steering gear and 73 to 87 (?) power steering gear. The housing has the same part number they say. What is different is the 67-72 housing gets an insert for a flared fitting in both the high and low side ports on the housing. The 73 and later hosing ports use an o ring.

The 67-72 steering gear has an input shaft that is a splined 3'4" shaft and the 73 and later has a metric splined shaft. Both steering boxes will bolt right up to the frame rail in the stock spots. The 73 and later gear needs a different steering coupler due to the diameter difference from the 67-72 steering gear. Both gear boxes are same exact size.

I was trying to use a flared high side hose in a o ring port....hence the leak. Why you ask did I try that? Because that's how the truck came and it didn't leak when I bought it! It only leaked after I changed to a new high side hose. And I didn't know better at the time.

Sooooo.....if you wind like me, buying an old beater truck with questionable history and you don't know a heck of a lot, hopefully this will help you out. Thanks again to all of you that took the time to answer my plea for assistance. I will gladly help out in return any way that I can. If any of you are ever in the Ventura County area and care to stop for a chat or a cold one, please contact me..