The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
screamin_c10
I dun gradjiated collij!!!

Which Intake?

So the new engine is in Screamin and running pretty good. I pulled the 1.6RR rockers and swapped in a set of 1.5s due to pushrod rub on the heads. I'll be fixing this issue in the near future and to do so off comes the intake.... I have 2 choices, the performer RMP Air Gap knock off that is currently installed, or a Weiand Action Plus Summit intake. Both are dual plane Vortec style intakes.

Here is my engine specs:

1996 5.7 L31 880 block w/ mechanical pump boss, 0 decked to pistons
"906" Vortec 64cc Heads, 1.94I and 1.60E, machined for lift, screw in studs, multi-angle performance valve job, new stainless valves, all new seats, etc.
Speed Pro, hypereutectic flat top 4VR 6CC pistons
GMPP Hot Cam... Dur. 218I / 228E @ .050 - Lift .525I / .525E - Lobe Seperation 112 Deg.
Factory Roller lifters.
Edelbrock 1806 650 CFM AVS carb
Cater Mechanical fuel pump @ 6PSI
SA Gear True Double roller T/C straight up
Powdered 5.7 metal rods
Stock Cast Crank
Melling Oil Pump welded pick up.
1-5/8 stainless headers into a 2.5" crossover dumped into a single 3" exhaust.
2500 RPM Stall convertor in the 700r4
3.73 rear gears

Any room for improvement? The engine was originally built for the wife's Chevelle not a truck.

Oh yeah, the CRAP Skip White Dizzy is in the recycle bin....
Attached Images

screamin_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
BIGKEV

Re: Which Intake?

For starters I'd run 1.5 int, and 1.6 exh as vortecs respond to more exh lift, and go with weiand intake. If it doesn't already have the plenum divider milled down, mill it 3/4" from front to back for better mid-range.
BIGKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
gearheads78

I would run a 3.5" on the single part of your pipe.
gearheads78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Personally... I'd run the real deal Edelbrock or Weiand intakes myself. Forget the knockoffs.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
406 Q-ship

Why not a real Edelbrock Vortec Performer-RPM, they run better than the overseas knock offs.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
gearheads78

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Personally... I'd run the real deal Edelbrock or Weiand intakes myself. Forget the knockoffs.

Gary
I agree and would never buy one but if he already has it I don't see any real benefit swaping.
gearheads78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
FLDBRED

Edlebrock, why....Because it's made in the U.S.A! And more and more that is starting to matter to me more!
FLDBRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #8
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin_c10 View Post

Oh yeah, the CRAP Skip White Dizzy is in the recycle bin....
So whats wrong with the Skip White Distrubutor?

Usually you never hear of anyone having any issues with them!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #9
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I've heard of plenty of people having problems with those crappy distributors. There are a lot of cats that love them. But for the cheap quality and the amount of cats I know that have had probs with them... I'll pass.

Just a crappy brand sold the cheapest by "Skip White Performace"... they are sold by many other stores than just "Skip White".

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:10 PM   #10
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 Q-ship View Post
Why not a real Edelbrock Vortec Performer-RPM, they run better than the overseas knock offs.
Totally agree, Edelbrock rpm intakes ...are proven power making manifolds. Every time I read a "shootout" street engine build article....the name that's always at or near the top is the RPM. They may cost a little more, but so what, go with one of the most tested intakes out there.

I now run the RPM "non gap" version ....after previously running a low profile Weiand ....I don't notice any decrease in low end torque and a good HP increase in the mid and upper RPM ranges. Great power to 6000+ rpm; any more than that you may want a single plane.
RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:51 PM   #11
screamin_c10
I dun gradjiated collij!!!

Thanks for the input from all of you, the Pro Products intake is indeed a piece of cr@p, but I own it and cant really shell out the duckets for an Edelbrock... In hindsight I wish I had gone with the eddy from the get-go. And as a side note, I did not realize it was chinese made until I got it and flipped it over. CHINA embossed on the bottom side. The Summit intake is not a knock-off it is produced by Weiand foe Summit... Many of Summits house branded items are re-boxed name brands.

Gearhed, are you thinking I'm restricting flow in the 3" exhaust?

BigKEV I had the exhaust valves enlarged to 1.60 do you still think I should run more lift on them than the intake (1.94)

C20-67_N_MO - Dont get me started on that POS... the cap cracked immediately (the coil screws were the culprit), replaced it, never could get it to time correctly as the weights and shaft are crap, module is cheap and starts to break up at varying RPMS.... I yanked and tossed in a 35 year old GM unit with a Delco cap, rotor, and module, still running the SW coil. IMMEDIATE difference in performance. Took me 15 minutes to set cent. timing, base timing, and adjust the vac adv. I messed with the Skip White dizzy for 2 weeks and it would simply run like crap, no matter what. I wouldn't install one on a lawnmower, although I do think its gonna make a mighty purdy primer tool.
screamin_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote