The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2022, 08:22 PM   #1
MDFarms

Parts prices up & coming down, whats your opinion?

It seems to me that parts are starting to come dowm a tad from the last year or so? Or perhaps I overpaid for NOS parts as I was collecting parts for my build. I have notice people still asking high $$$ on some things but lowering prices as time goes on. On another note the one part I don't understand Is the severe bend bend tow hooks! I have seen them anywhere from $400 early on to $1200 a set. This is one part that I can live without and hopefully stumble across someday reasonably. The other is nice hubcaps, seen them for 200-750 per set which is more than some wheels. I know it boils down to supply and demand but in the end how far are some willing to go?

Just some random thoughst anyone else have anything to add to the list?
MDFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:31 PM   #2
jimijam00

Re: Parts prices up & coming down, whats your opinion?

America's free market economy IS the best in world.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:12 PM   #3
jumpsoffrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam00 View Post
America's free market economy IS the best in world.
Quite frankly I agree with you 1000%, but lets be careful not to turn trucks into politics. There are hundreds of countries that have people with cars trying to find parts and also paying an arm and a leg, not just USA.

I think expensive NOS stuff is saved for show trucks, otherwise just use what ya got. Can't imagine driving around with $3,000 in NOS sheet metal or hubcaps that can be popped off with a screwdriver in 30 seconds and resold in 15...
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:35 PM   #4
Accelo

NOS stuff it rare and getting more so. I believe the prices for NOS will continue to accelerate. May be at a different rate than we have gotten used to but the prices will continue upwards.
Reproductions may come down a little but they are still re-pops and subject to the chance someone will build a better one or just copy the copy. I have a disdain for reproduction as they are typically so sloppy manufactured. The manufacture couldn't even get the 4 holes for the support bracket, under the steering column, in a straight line or the supports behind the tail light with the correct back spacing distance.
That said the re-pop parts are keeping our hobbies going and a lot of nice trucks are being restored with them. Without them NOS parts would be sky high.
NOS parts are still inexpensive compared to Corvettes.
Keep it fun.
Cheers
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:04 PM   #5
va72longhorn

Well, it’s like they say in the horse world ( my other expensive habit) ….. “it’s only worth what someone is willing to pay for it”

I’m afraid it’s getting down to supply and demand. I see fewer and fewer part outs and even fewer used parts that can fulfill that refusal to spend the $ for a NOS. ( I think I said that right &#129300. I’m now trying to decide which arm and which leg to give up when I finally run across a near perfect blue 69-72 steering wheel.
va72longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:51 PM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by va72longhorn View Post
Well, it’s like they say in the horse world ( my other expensive habit) ….. “it’s only worth what someone is willing to pay for it”

I’m afraid it’s getting down to supply and demand. I see fewer and fewer part outs and even fewer used parts that can fulfill that refusal to spend the $ for a NOS. ( I think I said that right &#129300. I’m now trying to decide which arm and which leg to give up when I finally run across a near perfect blue 69-72 steering wheel.
There was a black one on ebay that sold for around $1500. I'm not happy with paying ~$300 for my crappy wood and stainless steering wheel from LMC, but it's better than $1500.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:24 PM   #7
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Maybe the costs of shipping have forced some sellers to lower their prices a bit to compensate for that? That being said I personally havent noticed prices dropping, but Im not buying anything these days

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:41 PM   #8
truckster

My newest vehicle is 20 years old... finding parts can be a challenge. If parts are still in production, I can usually find them for a somewhat reasonable price. But NOS is a completely different story. Sometimes there's a part you just have to have... but $1200 for a set of tow hooks is not something I have to have. On the other hand, it can be worth it to find a good used fender and pay more than you would for a new one because of the time involved in making the new one fit.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:16 PM   #9
MDFarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
My newest vehicle is 20 years old... finding parts can be a challenge. If parts are still in production, I can usually find them for a somewhat reasonable price. But NOS is a completely different story. Sometimes there's a part you just have to have... but $1200 for a set of tow hooks is not something I have to have. On the other hand, it can be worth it to find a good used fender and pay more than you would for a new one because of the time involved in making the new one fit.
Yeh the hooks were USED! I can see on metal, I found and paid top dollar for NOS Short box sides this spring along with a right front fender the guy had sitting Eben though I didn't need it. My build is 100% NOS sheet metal besides the left front fender and it was perfect with zero rust or dents. When we media blasted both front fenders they were perfect. Left had some holes drilled from a previous debt removed. Other than that it was perfect.
MDFarms is offline   Reply With Quote