The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2023, 12:29 PM   #226
daveshilling

Re: 1958 Apache Big Window Loooooong Bed "Lucky"

Decided that in order to make space for the intake, I needed to lower the radiator by drilling new holes, exactly like we were talking about for Oldtruckwelder. Worked like a charm, was fast, east and free!

The radiator still sits above the frame rails and bumper, I feel good about it.
Attached Images

Last edited by daveshilling; 06-04-2023 at 12:35 PM.
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 12:34 PM   #227
daveshilling

Used parts of a $50 ebay intake from 2000's truck to mock up the intake and MAF. I've seen folks put these MAF sensors directly on the throttle body (where I had mine stored) , and they're supposed to be some ways away, in a straight section, with at least 3" of straight tube behind them.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2023, 12:40 PM   #228
dsraven

Right, maf should be where air has a chance to flow straight through without turbulence. Sometimes convenience dictates otherwise. Computer weighs the air through the sensor, gets an ambient temp reading of the incoming air, compares that to engine temp and throttle position, then signals injector response accordingly. Backed up with o2 sensor readings over time.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 12:43 PM   #229
daveshilling

Also completed the front clip wiring.

I added the distribution block and fuse setup that I had installed on the old front clip, finished up the wiring to the lights using the factory plugs and new connectors, and loomed up everything as best I could. This supplies fused power to the fan relays and the headlight fuse relays.

I also added a weatherproof quick disconnect from the cab to the clip... factory harnesses had this feature, but the aftermarket EZ-Wire kits leave you to sort that out on your own. this 6-prong Delphi Weatherpack connector was perfect for the job.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2023, 01:43 PM   #230
daveshilling

My passenger side Hinge pocket area was a total mess, so in order to get a door back on here, I needed to address this.

I patched the front, and cheated a bit by cutting off the lower portion that folds under the step, and just welded it at the seam and ground the welds into the corner. Saved a ton of headache!

Then I decided to make my own inner pocket patch... that took quite a bit of work and head scratching! This is NOT a convenient place to make a template OR test fit! I got it done... its not pretty but its working.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2023, 01:46 PM   #231
daveshilling

The view from inside. I could definitely make the argument to use some seam sealer in here, as I couldn't reach everywhere to weld and there are some fitment gaps I chose to live with, but better than the unwanted ventilation!
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2023, 01:50 PM   #232
daveshilling

Don't forget to remove and replace your cowl dirt annually! 1000 taps with a hammer will help remove the old dirt and sand so you can replace it with fresh dirt.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2023, 09:04 PM   #233
Kevin_C

I had bought the after market hinge pocket covers. Boy that was some metal origami to fit them in place. Reminds me I still need to get under there and clean up the welds.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:08 PM   #234
dsraven

I have done a few of those. Best to scribe above the cut somewhere, get a dimension from that mark down to the floor, also get a pattern cutaway of the contour for the outside where the weather strip seals. Write it all down or take pics etc. THEN cut the old part out. Otherwise you just do it by guess or by golly and hope for the best.
Old 06-07-2023, 07:26 PM   #235
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_C View Post
I had bought the after market hinge pocket covers. Boy that was some metal origami to fit them in place. Reminds me I still need to get under there and clean up the welds.
Yeah if they just sold this piece only, I think I'd have gotten them. I didn't find any so this felt like my only choice besides buying a bigger section and scrapping the rest.
Old 06-07-2023, 07:27 PM   #236
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
I have done a few of those. Best to scribe above the cut somewhere, get a dimension from that mark down to the floor, also get a pattern cutaway of the contour for the outside where the weather strip seals. Write it all down or take pics etc. THEN cut the old part out. Otherwise you just do it by guess or by golly and hope for the best.
If there was a part to cut out... then I wouldn't need to cut it out lol. This pocket was nearly non-existent! I think I had about half of it left to remove.
Old 06-08-2023, 08:41 AM   #237
dsraven

those hinge pillar parts are available but too late now, you got it fixed.
I would spray the area with some cold galvanising, sometimes called weld through primer. high zinc content. then the seam sealer
here is a link to that part that you fabbed up
https://aapd.net/door-hinge-pillar-p...y-pickup-55-59
and the other part
in case a lurker is also needy
Old 06-08-2023, 08:46 AM   #238
dsraven

inside the cowl, above the opening for the inside vent, is a built in evestrough looking affair that directs water to each side of the vent opening. this usually is full of dirt, pine needles, leaf compost etc. I usually remove the vent drain plug from the bottom of the cowl, it is sort of a flap of steel screwed on, then i run the garden hose full blast down from the top opening in front of the windshield. you may end up with some water on the floor inside . you can also stick the hose into the cowl from the interior vent and get it to go towards the bottom to flush that drain hole. if you have never seen the inside of the cowl let me know if you wanr some pics with the innee cowl part removed
Old 06-08-2023, 01:21 PM   #239
daveshilling

Quote:
inside the cowl, above the opening for the inside vent, is a built in evestrough looking affair that directs water to each side of the vent opening. this usually is full of dirt, pine needles, leaf compost etc. I usually remove the vent drain plug from the bottom of the cowl, it is sort of a flap of steel screwed on, then i run the garden hose full blast down from the top opening in front of the windshield. you may end up with some water on the floor inside . you can also stick the hose into the cowl from the interior vent and get it to go towards the bottom to flush that drain hole. if you have never seen the inside of the cowl let me know if you wanr some pics with the innee cowl part removed
Hosing it out is a driveway job... and I need to be able to actually drive her first!
Old 06-08-2023, 01:21 PM   #240
daveshilling

Quote:
those hinge pillar parts are available but too late now, you got it fixed.
I would spray the area with some cold galvanising, sometimes called weld through primer. high zinc content. then the seam sealer
here is a link to that part that you fabbed up
and the other part
in case a lurker is also needy
I think I'll be buying one next time, thanks for the link!
Old 06-09-2023, 12:04 PM   #241
daveshilling

Since I'm running Hydroboost, I wanted to add a power steering fluid cooler. What better donor than a LS-powered modern Chevy truck?

2000-2006 Chevy truck junkyard coolers are readily available, and they honestly fit very well with our trucks.

I created some mounting points just by welding small tabs/washers to the factory radiator support and drilling a couple of holes in the lower mount of the cooler.

The lines turn into the frame rails perfectly, and already come with rubber hoses attached that fit an LS pump, so it really is a no-brainer to use the cooler GM planned for this engine.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2023, 01:27 PM   #242
daveshilling

I was hesitating on the trans tunnel cover as I figured I may as well just buy a high hump and be done with it, but I decided that since I owned sheet metal and this will get completely covered, it's a good piece to practice metal work.

I cut a hole in the factory piece, made a cardboard template for the sheet, and then spent awhile hammering and bending a gentle curve into the piece so it will be minimally disruptive beneath carpeting when that time comes.

I attached it to the truck, THEN tacked on the new cover so it would fit perfectly, and it seats pretty well!
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2023, 04:06 PM   #243
Hcb3200

I noticed on your air intake you have it dumping down. What is the plans for a air box.
In my 56 the heat was insane and that high temp to engine really had fun with LS
I made a airbox just with some basic metal and let the vents next to radiator provide true outside cold air and put a few holes in fender wall just for extra flow like the modern trucks do. Here is a Pic. like well over 40 degrees cooler on air intake on some days.
This build is coming along nicely and you gave me some great upgrade ideas.
Hope your working on truck days are cool and the progress fast.
Enjoy the ride.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rickysnickers; 07-06-2023 at 07:01 PM.
Hcb3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 12:23 PM   #244
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcb3200 View Post
I noticed on your air intake you have it dumping down. What is the plans for a air box.
In my 56 the heat was insane and that high temp to engine really had fun with LS
I made a airbox just with some basic metal and let the vents next to radiator provide true outside cold air and put a few holes in fender wall just for extra flow like the modern trucks do. Here is a Pic. like well over 40 degrees cooler on air intake on some days.
This build is coming along nicely and you gave me some great upgrade ideas.
Hope your working on truck days are cool and the progress fast.
Enjoy the ride.
Thanks for the insight! I have had more than one idea for rerouting the intake but haven't really fleshed them out. I definitely want cooler air than whats underhood...I just figured that would be a 2.0 project that I can do once I'm running and driving.

I LOVE the idea of having the intake being fed from the parking light area, like TDishons custom HammerFab grille but thats beyond my scope of ability. Most likely, I'll end up extending some piping to pick up cooler moving air elsewhere. Definitely open to ideas like your boxing.
Old 07-07-2023, 02:00 PM   #245
6DoF

looks like you already have venting from the grill area to the air filter, worst case just a barrier between the rad and filter would help the cooler air get in there.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 12:55 AM   #246
daveshilling

Who says you cant put 15" Wheels on a 96 Vette IFS??

Done and done!

6MM spacers in front, 10mm in back with extra long lugs, plus a 15x7 Wheel Vintiques Smoothies...clearing all calipers!

I was worried that I'd end up with one of those Flatout trucks with Corvette wheels on it...it's fine for them but it's not for me. After agonizing over it for awhile, having a different brand of 15x7 rub... I bought one of these and we cleared!

Got a set of Silvertowns from FB Marketplace, and we FINALLY have wheels and tires! I'm one working transmission and some freshened up doors/glass away from a maiden voyage around the block.

Im just nervous about the 4L60e. So many places are doing ****ty rebuilds and people have lost some $$$ just trying to get a good working trans.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2023, 09:18 PM   #247
daveshilling

I had to get Lucky on the ground and see how she sits... even though I adjusted the Flatout rear to drop it lower, it STILL had a rake to it.. I adjusted the rear coilovers all the way down to their lowest setting and now it looks right.

Dang she pretty!
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2023, 07:51 AM   #248
6DoF

6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 10:30 PM   #249
G&R's57GMC

Gee Dave you’re making good progress, any updates ?

BTW what size tires are on it ?
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 01:41 PM   #250
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC View Post
Gee Dave you’re making good progress, any updates ?

BTW what size tires are on it ?
Those are 225/65/15's on a 15x7 Wheel Vintique smoothie. I've got some updates...