The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2019, 11:24 PM   #251
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Brown Truck Delivered something special today

"It's only money".

Last edited by TA_C10; 07-24-2019 at 11:40 PM.
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:40 PM   #252
cornerstone

Sweet.... Did you go with the RTX?

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:09 PM   #253
TA_C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Sweet.... Did you go with the RTX?
I did

"It's only money".
Old 07-24-2019, 11:37 PM   #254
TA_C10

Update - TA and Frame boxed and painted.

Finished up boxing in the frame next to TA. Should be nice and strong. Ready for exhaust.

"It's only money".
Old 07-25-2019, 12:22 AM   #255
Scurry67

Dang man you're making some serious moves! Looks like you're getting some good shop time in and a lot of work done. Keep it up! Enjoying the pictures.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:12 AM   #256
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Dakota Digital!! I need your budget to help me finish mine Can't wait to see those installed.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:01 PM   #257
TA_C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurry67 View Post
Dang man you're making some serious moves! Looks like you're getting some good shop time in and a lot of work done. Keep it up! Enjoying the pictures.
Thanks, yeah I have been out in the garage everyday since Sunday. I am really trying to get er dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
Dakota Digital!! I need your budget to help me finish mine Can't wait to see those installed.
Well I sold another car to pay for this one I have more coming to finish this thing up soon. I'm hoping to have exhaust done by next week. Then I mount the remote trans cooler. Put grease in all the suspension. Install the torque converter. Put the support straps on the fuel tank. And the cab goes back on for good. I'm thinking 2 weeks I should have all this done. Which means more like 3 weeks lol... That's how it always ends up for me.

"It's only money".
Old 07-25-2019, 02:39 PM   #258
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_C10 View Post
Thanks, yeah I have been out in the garage everyday since Sunday. I am really trying to get er dun

Well I sold another car to pay for this one I have more coming to finish this thing up soon. I'm hoping to have exhaust done by next week. Then I mount the remote trans cooler. Put grease in all the suspension. Install the torque converter. Put the support straps on the fuel tank. And the cab goes back on for good. I'm thinking 2 weeks I should have all this done. Which means more like 3 weeks lol... That's how it always ends up for me.

You have been kicking butt. I wish the accomplishments were always in direct proportion to the efforts like that. It's taken me 3 days (6-9ish PM) just to get a steering shaft & my Square body dually ready for a swap. I can't have it sitting in front of the shop blocking the fire-lane during business hours & my neighbor is being an A** (his company/group block the closest, reachable parking spot(s) w/a flat surface for raising the truck/parking overnight) so it's a process:

Tuesday:
  • Get tools & equipment set-up to work.
  • Pull things apart to test fit new stuff.
  • ID issues & ensure each end assembles as it should w/o difficulty.
  • Re-assemble old stuff to relocate truck.
  • Put tools & equipment away.
Wednesday:
  • Remove parts again to re-test assembly & verify final measurements w/better lighting.
  • Inspect any other possible issues.
  • Reassemble old stuff to relocate truck.
  • Put tools & equipment away.
Tonight will be:
  • Remove old parts & w/fingers crossed, final install of the new part.

Hopefully installation goes well & it will be the last effort. If not, I get to reassemble the old stuff for another day/another attempt.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:45 AM   #259
TA_C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
You have been kicking butt. I wish the accomplishments were always in direct proportion to the efforts like that. It's taken me 3 days (6-9ish PM) just to get a steering shaft & my Square body dually ready for a swap. I can't have it sitting in front of the shop blocking the fire-lane during business hours & my neighbor is being an A** (his company/group block the closest, reachable parking spot(s) w/a flat surface for raising the truck/parking overnight) so it's a process:

Hopefully installation goes well & it will be the last effort. If not, I get to reassemble the old stuff for another day/another attempt.
Yeah but your doing a full resto trailer queen aren't ya? It takes longer to do such things However that is a lot of extra work to have to tear it down and build it up over and over man. That is just painful reading it....

"It's only money".
Old 07-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #260
TA_C10

Update - Started on Exhaust

My exhaust finally came in.... For the second time.... First package was damaged in shipping and one of the 4' pieces was missing... hmmmmm... Anyway. I was trying desperately to just reuse the 3" exhaust that the PO had on it but it just wasn't going to work. The new routing screwed it all up. So I started looking for the cheapest kit I could find thinking I would just use what I already had, get a few new bends and straight pieces, and weld'em together. Well this doesn't really exist unless you go to Home Depot and use their fence posts lol, even then you need a bender.

So I found a builder kit on Amazon for $169, came with 2 4' straight pieces, 2 U-bends, 2 90's, and 2 45's. Steel. But then right next to it was the exact same kit in SS and it was the same exact price..... So I bought stainless. Crazy.

Now I don't have the gas to weld stainless, nor do I have the stainless wire for my mig welder, so don't kill me when use .025 steel wire to weld this up. I don't care, the original plan is still in play, I just happened to get SS on the cheap. Unless someone has a better idea that doesn't cost me anymore money

Sure looks good, I made my first cut last night and stuck it in a band clamp. It's gonna clear my E-Brake rod, whew.... I'm using band clamps until I am ready to finalize it.

"It's only money".
Old 07-26-2019, 11:47 AM   #261
SCOTI

Quote:
Yeah but your doing a full resto trailer queen aren't ya? It takes longer to do such things However that is a lot of extra work to have to tear it down and build it up over and over man. That is just painful reading it....

Naw…. That work described was just maint/repairs for my Dually. It's far from a trailer queen. It's just a clean, OG paint truck w/a certain areas upgraded & detailed. But, those simple repairs taking longer than they should interferes w/the 64's quality time .

Nice work!
Does kicking it up to clear the trans x-member hurt or help the angle/height where it routes through the T/A x-member exhaust holes?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 07-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #262
TA_C10

Quote:
Naw…. That work described was just maint/repairs for my Dually. It's far from a trailer queen. It's just a clean, OG paint truck w/a certain areas upgraded & detailed. But, those simple repairs taking longer than they should interferes w/the 64's quality time .

Nice work!
Does kicking it up to clear the trans x-member hurt or help the angle/height where it routes through the T/A x-member exhaust holes?
Kicking it up just above the trans x-member will put it directly in line with the T/A x-member. My trans x-member is low profile which helps. What I don't like is the speed engineering headers are too low for my setup, it puts the line directly in line with x-members, like half below the x-member and half above... Sucks to have to 45 it up right at the headers.... My setup has the original e-brake cables too which are all kinds of in the way....

"It's only money".
Old 07-26-2019, 12:07 PM   #263
SCOTI

Quote:
Kicking it up just above the trans x-member will put it directly in line with the T/A x-member. My trans x-member is low profile which helps. What I don't like is the speed engineering headers are too low for my setup, it puts the line directly in line with x-members, like half below the x-member and half above... Sucks to have to 45 it up right at the headers.... My setup has the original e-brake cables too which are all kinds of in the way....

Gothcha. Your trans x-member looks like what I used. I put a 3/4 wood spacer under the pipe/on top of the x-member to ensure good clearance when building mine (it will drop a hair & allows 1/2 - 3/4 gap).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-26-2019, 03:49 PM   #264
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I have the holes in my cross member for the exhaust and went with the Dingo trans cross member so didn't have to jump up right at the header, but it looks like I will have to go up just beyond that. I would like the headers to be about 2" higher. I'm sure interested in the kit you ordered though. Trying to decide if I want to do this or just take it to a shop. Are you going to H-Pipe it behind the trans?
Attached Images

1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:44 PM   #265
TA_C10

Quote:
Gothcha. Your trans x-member looks like what I used. I put a 3/4 wood spacer under the pipe/on top of the x-member to ensure good clearance when building mine (it will drop a hair & allows 1/2 - 3/4 gap).
That's good info on the sag. I will do the same. I just looked at your build page on your exhaust and I will probably do something similar. Do you have pics of your headers leading into the exhaust? Would be nice to see what you got going on in that area. Thanks.

Quote:
I have the holes in my cross member for the exhaust and went with the Dingo trans cross member so didn't have to jump up right at the header, but it looks like I will have to go up just beyond that. I would like the headers to be about 2" higher. I'm sure interested in the kit you ordered though. Trying to decide if I want to do this or just take it to a shop. Are you going to H-Pipe it behind the trans?

That trans x-member looks nice for this reason. I am planning on doing something similar to SCOTI exhaust, but not the awesomeness in the rear he did lol, I will be going under the rear x-member and U-Turn it over the axle and then dump them towards the sides right behind the rear wheels. I don't want them to be seen. I am also going to copy SCOTI on his H-Pipe idea.

EDIT: And here is the kit I bought from Amazon. It seems pretty decent stuff to me, but I am no expert. It's all individually wrapped with bubble wrap and already polished(not perfect but not bad either).

https://www.amazon.com/BLACKHORSE-RA...gateway&sr=8-3

"It's only money".

Last edited by TA_C10; 07-26-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:11 AM   #266
SCOTI

Quote:
That's good info on the sag. I will do the same. I just looked at your build page on your exhaust and I will probably do something similar. Do you have pics of your headers leading into the exhaust? Would be nice to see what you got going on in that area. Thanks.
I'm not running headers on this one. I used Speedways version of the Ramhorn manifolds. I'm ok w/the power loss to get the desired look.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-27-2019, 12:52 AM   #267
cornerstone

I hemmed and hawed for days over the stainless option. Its crazy how cheap those kits are, and who doesn't like a shiney exhaust system. I was thinking I could tack everything in place and take it to a local shop who welds stainless professionally. After I wasted enough time kicking that around in my head, I chickened out and just went with aluminized steel. Over all I'm happy with my results, but I am curious to see how yours turns out, so please post your results...

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:44 PM   #268
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
I hemmed and hawed for days over the stainless option. Its crazy how cheap those kits are, and who doesn't like a shiney exhaust system. I was thinking I could tack everything in place and take it to a local shop who welds stainless professionally. After I wasted enough time kicking that around in my head, I chickened out and just went with aluminized steel. Over all I'm happy with my results, but I am curious to see how yours turns out, so please post your results...
If someone chooses to tack it together & then have it welded elsewhere, build it in sections. SS is bad about moving once welded. Also, the pipes will be shiny but the welded areas won't be if Mig welded. The carbon @ the weld area still corrodes. It's easy enough to coat w/some paint but I just wanted those that may not know the SS/Mig process of welding seams still corrodes.

I tack mine together w/SS wire + gas using my Mig @ 3pts on the tubing seam for fitting & try to keep sections @ 3-4' max lengths. When they get welded, they are re-tacked w/the Tig torch between my Mig tacks. We then cut/grind the Mig tacks out. The Tig stumbles & does not like going over the Mig tacks. My stuff is back-purged as well. When you're done, you only need to buff the seam out.

My dually (entire exhaust except headers) & 64 (except tailpipes) were done that way. The SS turns to a tan/grey/nickle appearing color @ its warmest points. The rest stays unturned. Pretty easy to use red Scotch-Brite pads for keeping them shiny. Also, SS is susceptable to the oils on your person. Be careful when poking around things because your fingerprints will cook into the tubes @ those warm areas & will then require more effort to remove once cooked in (guess how I learned that ).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-29-2019, 10:02 AM   #269
TA_C10

Update - Exhaust going in

I went out of town this weekend so not much time on the truck. Got an hour or so yesterday to cut a couple pieces and start tacking them in. Had to zig a little here, zag over there, but it lines up real nice. I have decided to cut into my transmission x-member though. I found out taking a 90 degree tube and cutting it right in half then turning one piece around made the perfect height needed to match the straight pipe going to back of truck. Problem is it hits the trans x-member just a little so I have some 3/16 plate left over I am going to notch it on top and run the exhaust over it. The x-member is only 1/8 steel box so the 3/16 should help keep the strength up. We shall see.

"It's only money".
Old 07-30-2019, 10:58 PM   #270
TA_C10

Update - Exhaust

Got the front tacked in. Need to figure out where in the tubes I will install v-band clamps for service/maint. I think I have plenty of room to just wrap these pipes over the trans x-member instead of modifying the x-member. Exhaust wrap. Call it a day. I also am posting a pic of where I think I will put an h-pipe.

"It's only money".
Old 07-31-2019, 09:11 AM   #271
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Looking good. I wish I had and knew how to use a TIG.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:49 AM   #272
TA_C10

Quote:
Looking good. I wish I had and knew how to use a TIG.
Me too... I am thinking of quoting a shop to do it but we'll see. Hey is your quote out of Joe Walsh song? Big fan. Big eagles fan too. That was the album he made after he joined the eagles and had them all play on it. Netflix had the eagles documentary for a while and I think I watched that like 6 times... Hell of a story.

"It's only money".
Old 07-31-2019, 11:18 AM   #273
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Quote:
Me too... I am thinking of quoting a shop to do it but we'll see. Hey is your quote out of Joe Walsh song? Big fan. Big eagles fan too. That was the album he made after he joined the eagles and had them all play on it. Netflix had the eagles documentary for a while and I think I watched that like 6 times... Hell of a story.
Yep, big Eagles fan here too.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #274
TA_C10

Update - Exhaust halfway done

Friday I was able to weld up the pipes from headers back to muffler flanges. I am using v-band clamps. I got 2 clamps from Summit(their brand) and then bought 4 more clamps on amazon. The amazon ones are fine, but the summit brand clamps are much larger and well thought out design. They are more expensive of course. But I think these amazon clamps are going to be just fine. I used the summit quality clamps on the headers. Cheaper clamps at the rear of long pipe.

"It's only money".
Old 08-05-2019, 11:30 AM   #275
TA_C10

And then this happened..... All my weekend plans were screwed.... I removed the trans to install my torque converter and found the rear main was leaking. I'm glad I ran the engine a couple times before I installed everything or I would have never caught this until after.... But. I was really hoping to just use all the existing items that came with engine, seals, water pump, timing chain, oil pump, etc..... In 3-5 years I plan to do some cool upgrades(stage 2) so I was hoping to get lucky but of course, now that I have this thing apart, I'm replacing all this stuff....

I priced everything at AZ just to see a price difference, and RockAuto was $200 cheaper for everything I ordered, AND they are better parts! The more I use RockAuto the more I like them. Just have to pay/wait for shipping.

"It's only money".