The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2002, 03:09 PM   #1
Low69CST

Post Side Marker Light filler idea

I'm always thinkings of ways to upgrade these trucks while keeping it as un-noticiable as possible. I've seen some side marker lights on hinges on here, but the inner pannels on the bed always has to be cut and stepped out to make room. I was thinking about (if its even possible) to have a block of magnetized steel machined to perfectly match the back of a side marker light, maybe using one of those old gaskets or something, then drilling and threading the holes so that it could be screwed to the marker light. Then the side marker light could be held to the truck and removed easily while not having to drill, weld or cut on the bed side. Then the rubber filler tube could be ran up inside the bedside and attached to the bedside using some type of small clamp.

My dad thinks that a magnet would never stay on, so i'm conducting a highly scientific test. I found a good size magnet in my dad's shop and i stuck it to the inside of my Toyota truck, which I drive everyday, to see if it would move. So far its never fell off or even moved any. I think, since the truck has a 1/4" indention for the light to sit in, that it would never fall off.

I don't know if a magnet could be machined or threaded since the shavings would be very sticky. If anybody has any thoughts i'd like to hear them or if anyone knows if its possible to machine magnets.

------------------
'69 CST Short fleetside
Lowered, 400 small block, 700R4, 4 wheel disc brakes, front & rear sway bars
See my truck at: http://www.geocities.com/low69cst/
Student at the University of Kentucky.
Feel free to message me on AOL, SN- SS95ZQ8
My Dad's projects:
72 Short Fleet 4x4 Chyenne Super
72 Long Fleet 4x4 Chyenne Super
Both 350 autos restored original
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 06:22 PM   #2
Shane
Account Suspended

The chips sticking to the magnet are going to be the least of your worries. Most magnets, rare earth type, are a composite...kinda like ceramic. And when you try to cut it, it will break or shatter. Ever dropped a magnet on the floor? If so, you have seen how it will usually break into many smaller peices. Magnets are very brittle and are gonna be very difficult to cut, drill, mill, or tap.

This is something I found on the 'Net concerning machining magnets. Hope this helps.....
Quote:
Can I machine magnets?

Magnets can be machined. However, hard magnet materials - as opposed to the flexible or rubber type magnet materials - are extremely difficult to machine. Magnets should be machined using diamond tools or soft grinding wheels, and in the unmagnetized state as far as possible. In general, it is best not to try to machine hard magnet materials unless you are familiar with these specialized machining techniques.

------------------
Keep On Truckin'

Shane
Athens, Alabama

[This message has been edited by Shane (edited May 17, 2002).]
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 11:36 PM   #3
J

All I know is that trick for magnetizing your screwdriver tips by rubbing (always in the same direction) the tip with a magnet. Might want to try this with a machined piece of steel. Don't know if it would work, but a stick on side marker light would be pretty trick. hmmm...might require some scientific testing of my own.
J is offline   Reply With Quote