The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2023, 01:51 PM   #1
Arnulfo

Re: factory use of bondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
Here's a cut and paste from Wikipedia on the old Fremont GM Plant that became NUMMi and has since became the Tesla Plant.
I was involved construction wise on the conversion to NUMMI and heard horror stories from some of the rehired GM employees of the stuff that went on. They all had the same consensus of "I would have shut it down too".............................................:::::

Before NUMMI, the site was the former Fremont Assembly that General Motors operated between 1962 and 1982.[3][4][5] Employees at the Fremont plant[6] were "considered the worst workforce in the automobile industry in the United States," according to a later recounting by a leader of the workers own union, the United Auto Workers (UAW).[7][8]

GM as a company was departmentalized (design, manufacturing) as per Henry Ford's division of labor, but without the necessary communication and collaboration between the departments. There was an adversarial relationship between workers and plant supervisors, with management not considering the employees view on production, and quantity was preferred over quality.[8][9][10] Like all American car plants, the production lines at Fremont seldom stopped, and when mistakes were made cars continued down the line with the expectation that they would be fixed later.[8] By the early 1980s, the adversarial relationship had deteriorated to the point where employees drank alcohol, smoked marijuana (at the time, an illegal activity), were frequently absent (enough so that the production line couldn't be started), and even committed petty acts of sabotage such as putting "Coke bottles inside the door panels, so they'd rattle and annoy the customer."[7][8]

Attempts to discipline workers were often met with grievances or even strikes, putting the plant into near-continuous chaos. By 1982, GM had had enough and closed Fremont Assembly and laid off its thousands of workers.[8]
Had an acquaintance that worked at the van nuys plant. Same stories about the drinking ,pot smoking and sabatoge . Said all the line supervisors were also high and were the major suppliers of pot. I am a proud union man. IBEW. I was taught as an appprentice that you ALWAYS gave an honest 8 hrs work for 8 hrs pay. No goofing around. Anything less amounted to theft and hurt the union as a whole. Those UAW run plants in Cali are what gave unions a bad rap.
Arnulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 03:05 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

That wasn't just a California problem. The Chevy Vegas were highly vandalized at the Lordstown, Ohio plant due to the level of automation involved in their assembly. I'm sure that there are more examples.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 01:17 PM   #3
Willie Makeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnulfo View Post
Had an acquaintance that worked at the van nuys plant. Same stories about the drinking ,pot smoking and sabatoge . Said all the line supervisors were also high and were the major suppliers of pot. I am a proud union man. IBEW. I was taught as an appprentice that you ALWAYS gave an honest 8 hrs work for 8 hrs pay. No goofing around. Anything less amounted to theft and hurt the union as a whole. Those UAW run plants in Cali are what gave unions a bad rap.
it wasn't just the CA plants. Local GM plant was notorious for a "nose candy" problem and it was common local knowledge that the "best stuff" came from the GM plant. A months long DEA/federal investigation resulted in numerous arrests and convictions and it was discovered that one of the guys caught in the round-up was one of the largest coke importer/dealers in the Southeast. His job was driving a large floor sweeper/mopping machine and used his position as a way to "distribute" product throughout the plant to his "resellers."

The UAW got most all of them their jobs back afterwards.

Last edited by Willie Makeit; 02-13-2023 at 01:12 PM.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 12:18 PM   #4
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

i did find the repair. the paint is very old and hard to tell it was not original. I'm guessing someone backed into the side of the burb. probably very early in its life.
Attached Images

mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote