The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2019, 07:00 PM   #11
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Re: 1971 Stepside LS Build

I originally posted this rant in the General Discussion forum, but decided to delete it from there and just put it within my build thread.

Cliff Notes Version:

Ordered my Cold Case radiator on Jan 7th from Summit. Arrived on the 10th. Looked great, nice fans, lifetime warranty. All for $550!! Supposed to be a direct fit. It wasn't, not even close. I made it work because it looked good and it was only $550.

When I went to hook up the upper hose I discovered it was too close to the steam port and it wouldn't allow me to put a hose clamp on. Rather than rig up some adapter I decided to call them.

When I called they quickly admitted it was a problem that they knew about and expected a new corrected batch to be ready by the end of January. I sent mine back to them and waited.

Feb 27th it finally showed up! Weeks later. I was patient, but glad that it finally arrived. Opened the box to find that this radiator had no trans cooler. Wrong radiator. I emailed them last night and here was the response:

Quote:
That is the new style we switched to. I guess this was the first batch to do so.
All the LS radiators have been in transition mode and we have been removing the trans coolers from them since most LS cars are using, and we suggest using external units.
I didn't know about this obviously or I could have said something.

Anyways, that is how they are being done now so it's up to you if you'd like to keep it and run the external for max cooling or you can return it through Summit which I believe you originally got from?
Seriously? After all the back and forth I was never told that the new production run wouldn't have the trans cooler. Very disappointed to say the least.

Cold Case is simply trying to sell a one size fits all radiator for our trucks, Chevelle's, Camaro's, etc.

Called Summit and they are willing to take it all back, so that is what is going to happen. Now to begin shopping for another radiator. R n D is out. Cold Case is out. I really hate to pay a grand for the Entropy, but I may have to.
Attached Images

1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote