The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2022, 07:35 PM   #1
56 3100

seat decision?

trying to decide on seat option. for our 56 chev truck. we have both tahoe 3rd row mint black or 88-95ish chev truck bench would need to be redone.

seat.jpg[/img]

56 3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:08 PM   #2
51 3600

Re: seat decision?

That's a very hard choice but I think I'd go with the bench. Looks more appropriate; the right style.

'51 3600, LS5.3, 4L60e, Danforth cross., Blazer front susp., Borg Warner 9 bolt 3.27 GR, Wrangler leafs
51 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:34 PM   #3
dsraven

best is to set them both in the cab, one at a time, door panels on, try the door closing etc. then sit in the seat for a bit, try the comfort and fit with pedals and steering wheel, shifter etc. get the height and fore to aft set and then see if you have head room above AND behind. nothing worse than always bumping your head on the rear cab wall (or window) or finding the position fatigues your legs due to pressure on the back side of your legs. does one have better lumbar support, arm rest support and height etc.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:35 AM   #4
mr48chev

All I am going to say is that back seats don't have fore/aft adjustment on them. That may not be critical for some guys but I find that I sometimes have to move the seat depending on what shoes I have on to be comfortable with the reach to the pedals.

They are a tad wider but I like the late 80's split bench I have in my 71. I can move my seat where I want it but leave the passenger side pushed all the way back.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:46 AM   #5
dsraven

i have seen several with the 88-98 chevy truck split bench seats that have the head rests removed. that allows the seat to be placed more towards the rear without being at a crazy steep angle that soon becomes uncomfortable. this short fore to aft space is the reason I went with a cab extension so I could fit a modern high back bucket seat in there and have lots of room in front and behind the seat as well as have a seat belt integrated into the seat rather than a home made shoulder belt attachment point in the skinny body area behind the door. I have a big back window cab so that area is not very big for a seat belt mount. a lot of the comfort built into a seat comes from the ability to adjust the seat angles, height and lumbar support to fit your likings. if you go with a basic seat you really need to set it up on the floor of your shop, at the height it would be off the floor in the truck, and spend some time sitting in it and adjusting the height and angle till you find that sweet spot. then copy that when you install it in the truck. if you redo a seat it may not feel the same after due to spring and foam changes, just a heads up.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:50 AM   #6
dsraven

the rake angle of the truck also plays a part. maybe set the seat in the cab and set a tv up in the shop so you can watch tv for a bit while sitting in the cab and see if the seat gets uncomfortable. adjust as required till you get it right. it could take a few tv shows. ensure you have the wife out there to take beer and popcorn orders so you don't have to get out of the seat and start all over, haha.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:43 AM   #7
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
All I am going to say is that back seats don't have fore/aft adjustment on them.

i agree, i have done a lot of trucks and this is the reason i have never used a third row.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:23 PM   #8
56 3100

hey mister 48 i used some forum members drawings and made bases for 3rd row with adjustable speedway motors tracks.

hey raven i used factory assy manual seat height dimensions.i based off that.i had bench in previous and seemed pretty good just no seat belts . probably hard to do shoulder belets now with cab being painted.600-1000 to redo bench in black. money tight now.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:46 PM   #9
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
All I am going to say is that back seats don't have fore/aft adjustment on them.
I can't imagine anyone over 5'4" needing the seat anywhere but all the way back.
At 6'4" I'm folded up like a pretzel in my 58truk

That said, the black seat looks really uncomfortable on the butt.
Yes it has shoulder belts, but without proper crumple zone and reinforced floors
You'd only be fooling yourself on safety

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:15 PM   #10
56 3100

hey Ogre black seat dont seem bad on butt like raven said might have to sit watch tv in them . would deinitely do some bracing plates underneath.

Last edited by 56 3100; 05-16-2022 at 10:11 PM.