The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2021, 08:34 AM   #1
Perpendicular

Upholstery pointers?

Picked up a 78 Blazer the other day and want to replace the aftermarket front upholstery with the factory style. Is there a vendor that matches well? I don't mind doing the front and back if necessary but really want a kit that looks close to factory. This truck appears to be truly 51K actual miles.

A couple of teaser shots
Attached Images

Perpendicular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:44 AM   #2
buffydores

Re: Upholstery pointers?

SMS Auto Fabrics. Have your local upholstery shop match the stitch pattern. That said, looking at your picture, you're not gonna get much better than what you got. The rear seat material is just 43 years old. The other option is to change the front and back seat surfaces to factory correct fabric. Pattern 8434/8134 is the correct plaid for that year. SMS should have some.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by buffydores; 03-31-2021 at 08:51 AM.
buffydores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:55 AM   #3
Perpendicular

I get it My upholstery shop is backed up till the end of the year so that isn't really an option. I may go ahead and order the right stuff and see what I can do. I just need to find the medallions for the front seats next if I go that route. .
Old 03-31-2021, 09:06 AM   #4
buffydores

There are no medallions for the front fabric seats.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:19 AM   #5
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

I've seen that truck online, nice score.

https://www.brotherstrucks.com/Blaze...products/2274/

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:40 AM   #6
Perpendicular

Good to know about the medallions

Thanks on the score! I am amazed at the condition, just want to make it better. The Brothers covers look good, but are out of stock. Last time I ordered something out of stock from them I had to cancel it 9 months later so I am a bit leery at attempting it again.

Thanks all for the insight
Old 03-31-2021, 07:55 PM   #7
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Member TKCR on the board here can reupholster for you and probably has thoae medallions. Reach out to him for advice. He does great work.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:09 AM   #8
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
Member TKCR on the board here can reupholster for you and probably has thoae medallions. Reach out to him for advice. He does great work.
BTW, TKCR is a woman. I believe her name is Tina.

Last edited by LT7A; 04-01-2021 at 03:21 AM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:50 AM   #9
TKCR

That would be me! The original poster is in Texas, so that would be a little difficult because of the distance p. And I really don’t do Bucket seats, they are a handful.
Now the Medallions I do have. And I think I know what fabric this is. I just got some material samples yesterday to do a console lid for someone, and it looks identical.
Perpendicular, if you send me a PM, I can send you some of this material & Medallions, to see if it’s a match. And then I can tell you where you might be able to get covers. Any upholstery place is going to be busy. I do just bench seats, and I’m even busy. I can’t hardly keep up.
I tried to post the picture I had of the Medallions, but it didn’t want to load. But Buffy is correct, the front seats didn’t get them.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:20 AM   #10
Perpendicular

PM sent - thank you all!
Old 04-01-2021, 12:34 PM   #11
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
PM sent - thank you all!
PM returned and Sample are in the mail! Hope they are a match. This is where I get a lot of my fabrics and supplies. these particular samples are from the Eduratex & Endurosoft Collection, but they have lots & lots to choose from.
https://www.miamicorp.com/products/V...LLECTIONS.aspx
Old 04-01-2021, 09:55 PM   #12
bigschuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffydores View Post
SMS Auto Fabrics. Have your local upholstery shop match the stitch pattern. That said, looking at your picture, you're not gonna get much better than what you got. The rear seat material is just 43 years old. The other option is to change the front and back seat surfaces to factory correct fabric. Pattern 8434/8134 is the correct plaid for that year. SMS should have some.

[IMG][/IMG]
I just received a sample and a quote from SMS for my '84 Blazer. $149 a yard...I was stunned. I've never done a reupholstery job before. I need 5 yards for both front seats and the rear. I could not believe the price for a yard of fabric. Think I'll be doing some cheapo seat covers for the time being.
bigschuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:21 AM   #13
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
PM returned and Sample are in the mail! Hope they are a match. This is where I get a lot of my fabrics and supplies. these particular samples are from the Eduratex & Endurosoft Collection, but they have lots & lots to choose from.
https://www.miamicorp.com/products/V...LLECTIONS.aspx
TKCR, that's very good of you to help him like that. You are a great resource for us squarebody owners.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:54 AM   #14
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigschuss View Post
I just received a sample and a quote from SMS for my '84 Blazer. $149 a yard...I was stunned. I've never done a reupholstery job before. I need 5 yards for both front seats and the rear. I could not believe the price for a yard of fabric. Think I'll be doing some cheapo seat covers for the time being.
They are very expensive. Your looking at anywhere between $800-$2000 for covers alone. The low end of that, is for Benchseats for the pickups. I’ve had people insisted on have the “exact” material that was used. It try to tell them it’s going to cost more, but they want to know anyways. So when I tell them $800 just for the cover, when my entire complete restored BenchSeat is $800. That would make my seats about $1400-$1500 now. Why? When there are color matched, comparable and less expensive fabrics out there. SEM, is like paying top $$$ for NOS parts. And I’m not saying there’s nothing wrong with paying for NOS if you have the means to do so. But when there is comparable products out there for less, then it boils down on what your willing to spend. Seats are expensive enough, especially bucket seats and then add the rear seat from the Blazer. Just sayin’
Old 04-02-2021, 07:01 AM   #15
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
TKCR, that's very good of you to help him like that. You are a great resource for us squarebody owners.
Always happy to help. I can remember all the help I got from this great site, with great people willing to help me when I was new to the Squarebody scene. So I have got bitten by the bug when it comes to certain aspects of our trucks, seat & seatbelts. Well mostly interior items in general. I enjoy being able to help others, when so many helped me. And I’m still learning myself everyday.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:43 AM   #16
bigschuss

Quote:
They are very expensive. Your looking at anywhere between $800-$2000 for covers alone. The low end of that, is for Benchseats for the pickups. I’ve had people insisted on have the “exact” material that was used. It try to tell them it’s going to cost more, but they want to know anyways. So when I tell them $800 just for the cover, when my entire complete restored BenchSeat is $800. That would make my seats about $1400-$1500 now. Why? When there are color matched, comparable and less expensive fabrics out there. SEM, is like paying top $$$ for NOS parts. And I’m not saying there’s nothing wrong with paying for NOS if you have the means to do so. But when there is comparable products out there for less, then it boils down on what your willing to spend. Seats are expensive enough, especially bucket seats and then add the rear seat from the Blazer. Just sayin’
I totally hear you. I don't necessarily need OEM fabric. I'd be quite happy with some type of similar burgundy/red plaid material that was decently color matched to my K5's burgundy interior.

Would you recommend a supplier?

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:30 PM   #17
TKCR

Quote:
I totally hear you. I don't necessarily need OEM fabric. I'd be quite happy with some type of similar burgundy/red plaid material that was decently color matched to my K5's burgundy interior.

Would you recommend a supplier?

Thanks.
The link I posted above, #11
Old 04-03-2021, 07:05 AM   #18
bigschuss

Quote:
The link I posted above, #11
Thank you. Missed that.
Old 04-03-2021, 04:12 PM   #19
TKCR

Quote:
Thank you. Missed that.
Your welcome. There’s a lot to look at. I just ordered a yard of Fabric, and I got it the next day. I suppose it helps both of us are in Ohio.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:38 AM   #20
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
And I really don’t do Bucket seats, they are a handful.
That is a shame. I need some too. I haven't searched yet, but I'm not optimistic about finding someone that cares about making OEM covers from scratch.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:48 AM   #21
buffydores

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Timber View Post
That is a shame. I need some too. I haven't searched yet, but I'm not optimistic about finding someone that cares about making OEM covers from scratch.
A decent upholsterer can take a picture and do a good job. I totally get people's apprehension about burning cash for OEM materials. It really comes down to the individual vision for each owner. I support it all. I personally feel connected to old things. That doesn't mean I shun modern stuff. It just means that, all engineering being equal, old stuff resonates with me.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:39 AM   #22
DeadstockAutoTrim

I'm a new member and I'm waiting for a response from faq guy on what is and what's not appropriate for me to post, but I thought I'd just jump in here and mention Deadstockautotrim.com and Deadstockautovinyl.com as a resource for vintage OEM fabric and vinyl from the 60s-80s.

I apologize if this is inappropriate. Admins can feel free to delete this post and contact me to discuss what's appropriate or not.

My name is Lamar Brooks. My wife and I are the owners.
DeadstockAutoTrim is offline   Reply With Quote